Patreon
Aug 6, 2019
North west
Product Image:
0EC5F73F-EF14-4793-BDA3-495792B9D7F5.png

Product name: Tannus tyre armour
Price paid: £35
Score (out of 10): 7

Review: Felt I should follow up on these, after I got slightly enthusiastic in another thread before buying tannus armour. I wanted to wait a bit longer till my proper review but a rear puncture in the first 30 miles or so has made me bring it forward.
7 out of 10 is a funny score for armour bearing the above in mind, so I’ll try to explain.

Here goes, most of the Tannus benefits are immediately manifest and impressive in my view. The chatter and vibe reduction is spooky, curbs appear halved in height. Broken patches of tarmac just a muted ripple. Comfort improvements undeniable. Tyre noise is dramatically reduced, impact and tread rolling along.
The extra support in the tyre was a great feeling to me, so much so I’m going to heavier casing tyres straight away. Maybe just a more confident feel but I’m sure grip was increased. Noticeable stability improvement.
Wether I add the tannus to the heavier tyres im undecided at this point, but I’m definitely getting more robust casings. Without the puncture confidence they seem like kinda pointless extra weight.

However, as I stated previously. The overarching benefit for me going in was the run flat capability in a disaster situation. I got nearly ten miles home on the flat and armour. Slow, noisy and a bit cringeworthy at times but all held together and no sign of rim contact or strain. Some of it pretty chunky too. With care.

Honestly I wanted to give these a ten as the stated benefits are all exceeded, the reduction in noise level from trail and machine have to be (not) heard to be believed. Super smooth progress and roll well.
Maybe the puncture was sheer bad luck, maybe the tubolito failed or wasn’t up to it. Annoying if so because they were twice the price of the bloody armour! I don’t know. I strongly suspect a large thorn but can’t see one, you pay your money and take your chance. I will diagnose the flat tomorrow and follow up.
Cheers all
Si

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Just had notification that the Tannus Armour I ordered for the missus' bike arrives today. The whole reason for the purchase was the ability to ride flat, so I guess you've proved that one :)

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
I've been running Tannus for almost two months now and have found them to be a 'fit and forget solution'. I'm not an expert rider by any means, and can only go on my experience of not having any flats despite pulling a number of thorns out of the tyres.

As I fitted Tannus shortly after getting my bike, I don't know how different it rides, but I've not had any issues with the ride. Tannus say you can run lower pressures too, and having played around with them I'm running close to what I had before; thats down to riding fore roads and hardpack rather than proper off road.

They certainly give me peace of mind and confidence when riding as I know from experience they do what they're meant to.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Maybe the puncture was sheer bad luck, maybe the tubolito failed or wasn’t up to it.

The Tannus got delivered a few minutes ago and, reading the blurb on the outside of the box, made me think about your puncture problem. It would seem that the "armour" gets compressed and needs to be "regenerated" in warm sunshine or a steamy shower(!) with the tyres deflated.

I see that you are located in the "North West", which could mean cooler climes which lack warm sunshine during winter days (unless you are in NW Australia for example, or another warm spot). Is there a chance, @Simoto123 , that your armour got compressed so much that its protection level was seriously compromised?
(I'm assuming you didn't take it into the shower with you :whistle: )

Last edited:

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I tried to fit one a few weeks back but had trouble getting the tyre on. Probably due to my poor technique. I’m sure I’ll succeed next time. Looks a top quality product.
Some people recommend fitting a slightly smaller tube than normal when using the Tannus.

Simoto123

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Aug 6, 2019
North west
The Tannus got delivered a few minutes ago and, reading the blurb on the outside of the box, made me think about your puncture problem. It would seem that the "armour" gets compressed and needs to be "regenerated" in warm sunshine or a steamy shower(!) with the tyres deflated.

I see that you are located in the "North West", which could mean cooler climes which lack warm sunshine during winter days (unless you are in NW Australia for example, or another warm spot). Is there a chance, @Simoto123 , that your armour got compressed so much that its protection level was seriously compromised?
(I'm assuming you didn't take it into the shower with you :whistle: )

Yes, the conditions here are far from ideal. Since they were fitted only days before I had not even thought about deflation.. The armour is certainly compressed now! Can’t see it recovering any time soon. I’m going to strip and diagnose the flat now I’ve time and update.
cheers

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Yes, the conditions here are far from ideal. Since they were fitted only days before I had not even thought about deflation.. The armour is certainly compressed now! Can’t see it recovering any time soon. I’m going to strip and diagnose the flat now I’ve time and update.
cheers

I look forward to your update. Having read your experience and the side of the box, I'm not sure I wouldn't have been better off going with Anaconda de Barbieri PNK, which is a tubeless foam insert for use with sealant. Being for the wife's bike, I was looking for the product with the least likely problems (not sure how much she likes getting sprayed by white, sticky sealant :oops:). Plenty of massive acacia thorns around here - but also plenty of sunshine - so I'll give this a whirl as it's not a huge amount of money.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
cheers

One quick thought: do you have armour in both wheels? If so, what's the state of compression of the other one?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I’m trying out a Mr Tuffy at the moment (Lime version). It’s less than half the weight of a Tanus but it’s very thin and could fail soon. I’ll keep my Tanus as back-up. It’s quite interesting seeing what works and what doesn’t.

Simoto123

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Aug 6, 2019
North west
Hi, update as promised. Partly due to the slight controversy, I took my bike to the bike shop to diagnose the flat. Rode most of the way,lol. They really do run flat for a long time. Unfortunately both the tyre and insert suffered damage and a new 2.35 MM was fitted with heavy casing, tubeless for now. Replacing the butcher 2.6 sw.
in answer to one question all is still good with the front. It was set up the same way, and the same day as the rear. Last week sometime.
C35B6DBE-A0B4-4602-A265-CC82BD3EFE3B.jpeg
8080DB3E-B3A2-4FBA-BF3C-579E29B2B986.jpeg

The tech stripped the rim and tyre with a fair bit of effort. We found the armour in good alignment but I’m sorry to say the flat was caused by a pinch. Two short slits 10 mm apart. Classic ratbite. I took a pic to try and show, plus a video which clearly shows the tube damage. Not sure how to upload a video but anyway, think the pic indicates.
743D23FF-A271-426E-AF3C-62A9916EB9DA.jpeg

last one shows new tyre on way home. 2.3 MM which measured out to 2.44 if anyone except me gives a shit.
A26C504B-86CB-4EBE-BD3D-F1F44F2ADC2E.jpeg

I don’t want to speculate further really but the tyre had in the region of 28 psi when fitted by same tech days ago. I will say that the structure of the armour was still very good and not visibly crushed or creased despite way over recommended mileage ridden flat.
Many of the benefits I perceived vis rolling, grip and noise appear mostly with the heavier carcass of the new tyre too. I don’t know, draw your own conclusion I guess. Few more pics taken but save the server unless they may clarify further questions. Cheers.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
We found the armour in good alignment but I’m sorry to say the flat was caused by a pinch. Two short slits 10 mm apart. Classic ratbite. I took a pic to try and show, plus a video which clearly shows the tube damage.

So, basically the tube suffered a pinch flat. Looking at the diagram in the advert I can see how this can happen. The sidewall of the armour is thin and I can see how the wheel rim is going to snake bite a thin tube through the minimal cushioning.

In all honesty, I think you are better off with a tubeless foam core system. At least a tyre burp can be easily "repaired" with a bit of pumping.

On the other hand, I think this will still be ideal for my missus. She never gets her butt off the saddle and rolls over everything, but rides with somewhat higher tyre pressures so a pinch flat is unlikely. Her problem is an inability to avoid riding over thorns, glass bottles, ragged rocks... I think the puncture protection and that bit of extra sidewall protection should be fine for her.

If it doesn't work, well it was an easy experiment with no mess - assuming I can fit the damn things this afternoon! :rolleyes:

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I think my mistake last time I tried fitting them was not squeezing walls enough so that the tyre rims fall into ‘V’ groove in the middle of the rim. Once you do this the tyre should pop on without any trouble. (In theory)

I usually have my tyres pumped up to a very high pressure so I’m unlikely to get pinched flats when using a Tanus. I wonder if a bit of talcum powder inside the armour might extend tube life also?

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I think my mistake last time I tried fitting them was not squeezing walls enough so that the tyre rims fall into ‘V’ groove in the middle of the rim. Once you do this the tyre should pop on without any trouble. (In theory)

I managed to mount these instruments of torture onto the wheels after a couple of failed attempts. You are dead right: you do need to get the side walls away from the bead and into the centre groove. Unfortunately with the wheel/tyre combination on my wife's bike, this was impossible until I trimmed the Tannus. According to the instructions, her 2.25" tyres needed the full depth of armour. However, the rims are only 23mm and so the armour overlapped across the wheel.

I trimmed the inserts but even then they were a real bugger to get into place without getting either the tube or armour nipped in bead - not helped by my missus running Schwalbe Hurricanes which have a wire bead and are always a tight fit.

I usually have my tyres pumped up to a very high pressure so I’m unlikely to get pinched flats when using a Tanus. I wonder if a bit of talcum powder inside the armour might extend tube life also?

Not sure about using talc: I had to lube the rim with washing-up liquid to stop the tight tyre bead binding.

If these things puncture - or when it comes to changing the tyre - I have absolutely no intention of ever refitting them. My fingers and hands are utterly, utterly broken. I ended up having to use metal tyre levers because I kept breaking the plastic ones.

This is not a job for anyone with arthritic or delicate fingers! Next time I'll be using a foam core and tubeless sealant. My missus will just have to get used to being sprayed with white, sticky liquid at unexpected moments! :whistle:

Simoto123

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Aug 6, 2019
North west
I’ve left tannus in the front but trying tubeless again in the back With a tougher tyre. I eventually found two pinches in the tube in the pics, at the start of the thread. A case of YMMV I suppose.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I’ve left tannus in the front but trying tubeless again in the back With a tougher tyre. I eventually found two pinches in the tube in the pics, at the start of the thread. A case of YMMV I suppose.

Have you used a foam core with the tubeless system? That would be a way to avoid the worst problem with tyre burp and also be able to ride home.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I’ve had these fitted for 2 months now and I’m impressed so far. I can run 2-3psi less than tubeless and they still feel great. I have felt Tim contact once but no punctures from this, or any other punctures. I have run over glass and barbed wire too.
I would never run them flat, and always carry a spare tube. I will replace the heavy rear black Dimond case with a grid when the time comes, which will reduce weight. I’m running Maxxis welter weight tubes already.
Wife gets a new bike soon and I’ll be fitting Tannus armour right away. So much less maintenance than tubeless. They run sweet at lower pressures if I’m not jumping and railing berms. So much more comfort.

Simoto123

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Aug 6, 2019
North west
My front punctured the following ride so I must report opposite opinion. Only thing I can say is, watch out when using tubolito tubes in them. In case it was a factor In my case.
so thats a total of three pinch flats in a couple of hundred miles with appropriate pressures and use.
I say proceed with caution, hope you are luckier than I was

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Only had to fit 2 of them so far, in a 2.6 tyre it was easy - no tools required. A 2.35 was a bit more interesting and needed tyre levers, but nowhere near as difficult as, say, a mid 1980's kawasaki gpz rim ( flashbacks from summers spent changing tyres at a motorbike shop....)

From the bad old days of tubes in motorbikes, most " pinch flats" were really installation related - catching the tube between the tyre lever and rim, partially tearing it then a few days later those partial tears would give way. Close inspection of tubes often showed rubs / scratches etc.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
One puncture so far, but it was against the rim. Proberly got a bit of grit in there on the install and it made a hole over time. Easy mess free trail side repair to put a spare tube in which I always carry. Mainly for those who run tubeless and can’t get a seal ?

themonkster

Sep 27, 2019
Manchester
I've ran these in the front and rear for 2 months now. 2.5 Maxxiss DHF 3C Maxx Terra EXO up front and 2.5 Maxxiss Aggressor 3C EXO in the rear.

I use Continental Tubes. I'd only use the Tubolitos as a spare. Tyres are running around 24psi.

These have been smashed around rocks plenty of times now and through all sorts of forest crap.

Can't really fault them especially when it comes to a tyre change.

Flog

Subscriber
Apr 19, 2020
Dorset / Somerset Border
Hi - can I just check with you guys that know. Having had 3 punctures in 17 days of my new bike, all of which have been thorns, I'm riding the bridle ways of Somerset / Dorset thought I would give the Tannus a bash.
Bike is 6.8 Jam2 and tires are 29 x 2.6 Maxxis rekon, would the tubes be ok at 1.85 - 2.2" slime tubes be ok??

Or what tubes should I get to go with the Tannus?? Thanks and apologies if this has been answered a million times or just soooooo obvious!!

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
Hi - can I just check with you guys that know. Having had 3 punctures in 17 days of my new bike, all of which have been thorns, I'm riding the bridle ways of Somerset / Dorset thought I would give the Tannus a bash.
Bike is 6.8 Jam2 and tires are 29 x 2.6 Maxxis rekon, would the tubes be ok at 1.85 - 2.2" slime tubes be ok??

Or what tubes should I get to go with the Tannus?? Thanks and apologies if this has been answered a million times or just soooooo obvious!!
that tube will be fine, although you wont need the slime version. Pulled 2 thorns out of my rear tyre today and a piece of glass

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles