Review Troy Lee Designs 7855 Armoured Shirt

valecek

Apr 20, 2023
Slovakia
I know. now I am using amplifi E-23 backpack with sas-tec. This year I would like ride more in bikeparks, so I need prottections for arms and collar bone

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I am 46" chest
when I bought the armour I was a 43" chest and it was tight then, only just managed to get it on, getting it back off when you are sweaty requires... help.
that was the largest size they had.
Thanks, Useful !!!

Yup, I struggle to get mine off once it's sweat bonded to me, fine if you wear something super thin under it though/merino for example .. but can restrict air flow.

I nearly always have to wear something under it anyway though (short arms, more stick !!) or it chafes my nipples. Though you probably have cauliflower nipples from years of rugby. :)

I think that rules that option out for him though !!

valecek

Apr 20, 2023
Slovakia
finally at home. first I would like a buy alpinestars A6, or A10 chest protector, but it was unavailable.
80e in motoshop, so lightweigh,airly and good sizing for big guy.

_vyr_15162Ochranna-vesta-Alpinestars-Bionic-Action-Chest-Protector.jpeg _vyrp12_15162Ochranna-vesta-Alpinestars-Bionic-Action-Chest-Protector-1.jpeg received_628457615820726.jpeg

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
I wear that kind of vest but from Leatt. It is so much superior than all the t-shirt armors on market because there is no needless additional fabric.
Leatt Chest Protector Airflex il nostro test - 4ActionSport

It's lot more invisible on top of black jersey.

Most people wear the armor t-shirt and because it looks awkward as hell put another jersey on top. That's already like tripple the amount of layers you can survive if it's 20degrees outside. But in summer? You just die in minutes, even on shuttle runs in bikepark.
With the vest, you put it on top of your jersey and it's super breathable. In bike-parks, you can take it off easily every now and then in two seconds.
And unlike the armored t-shirts, these vests actually protect the side of ribs.

Just no point in considering anything else.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
finally at home. first I would like a buy alpinestars A6, or A10 chest protector, but it was unavailable.
80e in motoshop, so lightweigh,airly and good sizing for big guy.
I've not tried that one. I really like Alpinestars gear, but for MTB everything I've tried so far is too hot - they always have what looks like great ventilation, but it's normally limited on where the air actually comes all the way though.

This one was much more lightweight, had crap protection and got really hot :

This is a little more like the one you're looking at, but compared to most other things it was uncomfortably hot.

For really excellent front and rear protection there's the RXR protectors. The main downside again is heat. I've modified mine, but I'm still not super happy with it.

There's dozens of different vest type tops. I've been re-trying several of mine lately that I didn't give away, but I still find the TLD7855 the coolest to wear - the padding doesn't get as warm as D3O type protection and it just lets the air through better all over. Doesn't sound like it would fit you though.

There's the racer, not sure it would go big enough and the chest protection is minimal :

There's various Leatt ones, and whilst I like a lot of the Leatt armour I didn't keep hold of any of the tops I tried, thye all seemed a bit lacking in overall protection with the armoured sections being too small.

Forcefield would make things which would fit you, but they get a bit too warm on an MTB.

A Troy Lee 5955 would protect well (Hard plastic type), but the back protection is a bit short.

I think if I was about to buy a hard armour now for just chest/back, I'd probably go for something like the Fox Raceframe impact chest guard or even the Raceframe Roost Chest guard (lighter with less padding, but also cooler and the hard plastic will protect better than any of the reactive armours). You could wear them under or over a shirt and they look like they breath really well. If you overheat too much in your armour, you just won't wear it when it's hot.

valecek

Apr 20, 2023
Slovakia
Over the weekend, I tried the Alpinestars protector in two bike parks. In the morning it was around 18 degrees, in the afternoon it was almost 25. I rode first with a long jersey, later with a short one and protective gear on. Yes, I was really warm, but I think that the integral helmet, elbows and knee pads took more sweat than the protector itself. a great choice for me, if I could try the A6 or A10 in person, maybe I would make a different decision, but since I have huge shoulders, they probably wouldn't even fit me :D Either way, if we have guys on the forum with big chests and airport backs, I can highly recommend alpinestars. BTW, I had the option while waiting for the chairlift compare my Alpinestars with fox Raceframe or Leatt 4.5, alpinestars was clearly the widest in the chest area

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I think the answer with MTB protection is a bout the terrain ridden and the type of impact most likely with any type of ride. The most critical parts of the body in terms of serious injury are the head, neck, spine and sternum which suggests the highest priorities s hould be ....helmet, neck brace, back protector and chest protector.
Maybe add to that knees/kneepads because whilst knee injuries are not life threatening, it does not take much to dislodge a kneecap in a fairly innocuous accident and put you out of action for weeks or months.

There is a limit to what any protector can do to protect shoulders, arms, ribs and hips (actual hip....not the pelvis).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles