• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

STUnlocker (ex Shimano STEPS Unlocker) Android & Windows App for derestriction/market change and etc

Tezwah

Jul 21, 2020
Tasmania
Ah I see, my firmware is too new. Thanks for that. Is there an app update coming that will support speed settings on the 8000 with the latest firmware or should I roll back at my own risk of course

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
I bought the $0.99 app

May I get few answers before I buy premium version?

1. Is it possible to increase speed limit to 40 km/h?
I read on this forum that it can be done by changing the wheel size. So, when the display shows 25 km/h it is actually doing 25 mph or 40 km/h

2. Do you plan to hack the FW 4.7.x or is it very difficult and going forward you plan to support available country settings and wheel sizes?

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
You can change country settings to US on any FW including the latest ones.
US + 1300mm will give you around 42km/h

I bought the $0.99 app

May I get few answers before I buy premium version?

1. Is it possible to increase speed limit to 40 km/h?
I read on this forum that it can be done by changing the wheel size. So, when the display shows 25 km/h it is actually doing 25 mph or 40 km/h

2. Do you plan to hack the FW 4.7.x or is it very difficult and going forward you plan to support available country settings and wheel sizes?

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
You can change country settings to US on any FW including the latest ones.
US + 1300mm will give you around 42km/h

I upgraded to Premium App version and I am delighted!

The App is well designed, connect to the bike without any gymnastics, settings easy to change and save.

I have a follow-up nob question. My front wheel is 29”, rear is 27.5”.
Is the US + 1300mm still correct for the front 29” and rear 27.5”?

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
I upgraded to Premium App version and I am delighted!

The App is well designed, connect to the bike without any gymnastics, settings easy to change and save.

I have a follow-up nob question. My front wheel is 29”, rear is 27.5”.
Is the US + 1300mm still correct for the front 29” and rear 27.5”?
Yes, no matter what is your wheel size if you want the maximum speed and don't care about the display speed.

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Oh, I see... I am not that bothered with absolute max we can wring-out of the bike. I am more concerned about usability and practicality.

Anyway, is it fair to conclude that since 100km/h = 62.1371 mph, we can multiply our current wheel circumference by 0.621371, to get our speedometer on the bike, to display the actual speed in mph (just ignore the km/h suffix)? A side effect is your speed-governer is uplifted from 25km/h to 25mph.

It is a clever life-hack, which I read on this forum, but I can’t find the source to give full credit.

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
Oh, I see... I am not that bothered with absolute max we can wring-out of the bike. I am more concerned about usability and practicality.

Anyway, is it fair to conclude that since 100km/h = 62.1371 mph, we can multiply our current wheel circumference by 0.621371, to get our speedometer on the bike, to display the actual speed in mph (just ignore the km/h suffix)? A side effect is your speed-governer is uplifted from 25km/h to 25mph.

It is a clever life-hack, which I read on this forum, but I can’t find the source to give full credit.
By changing region to usa you will get 32mph displayed as 32kph :)

luna87824

E*POWAH Master
Jan 19, 2019
Just South of The Grand Canyon

I think AZ Rick came up with that idea.....and it works great!!

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
I think AZ Rick came up with that idea.....and it works great!!

Tx terb for the reference. So I have tested AZ Rick’s idea and I optimised it to my bike.

It turns out that 1388mm circumference gets me the correct mph value on km/h display.

I had it verified by my wife driving behind me in a car, although we know that car speedometers are not perfect either.

Anyway, I am happy now

Loading Error

Aug 5, 2020
Australia
Hi Vadll

I see on ppl saying using the app to downgrade to v4.3.2 for e8000

Do you have any instructions or guide on how to do this?

I already have you app and the premium license thanks

Also if I have any issues with my back and want to revert everything back to default, what is the best way of resetting all my settings? Thanks

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
I settled on the US region setting and my original wheel circumference.

Having tested diff configurations, I decided that 32km/h is ideal for my use as in the woods I ride up to 20km/h and on the road I cruise at ~28km/h.

I can see the merit of higher speed on a road-bike, but on an eMTB, anything above 30km/h is cool, but totally unnecessary.

Happiness continues

Bobajobbob

Aug 5, 2020
Kent UK
I settled on the US region setting and my original wheel circumference.

Having tested diff configurations, I decided that 32km/h is ideal for my use as in the woods I ride up to 20km/h and on the road I cruise at ~28km/h.

I can see the merit of higher speed on a road-bike, but on an eMTB, anything above 30km/h is cool, but totally unnecessary.

Happiness continues

Just changed to US settings today and like you suspect this will be perfect for EMTB riding.

Bobajobbob

Aug 5, 2020
Kent UK
Great app by the way. In additional to the derestriction it has helped me answer questions about the ETube app that are not immediately obvious.

matti1207

Aug 19, 2020
belgium
hi everyone,
i'm new here :D

can someone help me, i have some questions about some settings
i have a DU-6100 motor, now i want to change the region to usa for 32km/h
will this damage the motor or void the waranty?

BTW
nice app well done,

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
hi everyone,

BTW
nice app well done,
I have been using the STUnlocker app now for 6 months on a E7000 motor (60Nm), which is in US mode and have had no issues.
As far as void the warranty, any modification software or hardware wise will void the warranty.
If you use the app and don't go crazy with the assit setting and wheel circumference for top speed you shouldn't have any issues.

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
hi everyone,

BTW
nice app well done,

US setting is a legitimate config, so no risk of damage, otherwise there would be carnage in the US market.

Warranty, probably yes, unless you can keep it quiet and don’t give the dealer/manufacturer an opportunity to void it.

matti1207

Aug 19, 2020
belgium
US setting is a legitimate config, so no risk of damage, otherwise there would be carnage in the US market.

Warranty, probably yes, unless you can keep it quiet and don’t give the dealer/manufacturer an opportunity to void it.
Thank you for the info,
Another question, do u know what the max assist is for a 6100? Now standard is it 191% on high

Grts

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
My E7000 max assist is 238%, the E8000 has a max assist 300%, don't know if you can change the max assist on the Shimano motor. The max assist maybe a hard set base on motor model.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Max assist is FW depended. On E8000 with 4.6.1 you can set up to 400% and 600W
On E7000 with 4.3.1 it is possible to set 300%+ of assist

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
Max assist is FW depended. On E8000 with 4.6.1 you can set up to 400% and 600W
On E7000 with 4.3.1 it is possible to set 300%+ of assist
Just so I have it right, my E7000 is running fw 4.4.0 and max assist is 238%, but if I can back date the fw to 4.3.1 I can get max assist of 300% ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles