Strive:ON problems

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
Just had an email reply from Canyon UK saying that they’ve sent out a new design battery latch to me. Hopefully be with me soon
It needs to be a different P/N from the picture bellow, otherwise...

20231017_162213.jpg

schoefli

Dec 26, 2023
Switzerland
Hi all
I just got my Strive today, it's from Canyon's Outlet store, meaning that it has been used previously for testing purposes or so. I have been following the battery latch discussions here, is it correct that I still have the "old" latch?

I ordered Tobias' fix, would you recommend installing it right away or wait until the current latch might break and then hopefully install Canyon's new latch?

I am not 100% sure I understand which part exactly is commonly breaking with the old latch. When I checked mine, it seemed fine. Can someone enlighten me once again which part in the latch to keep inspecting?

IMG_7310.jpeg

Further, I read that some batteries have a little bit of play even when installed. Mine has a lot of play if I don't engage the latch, however, when I do (after the very distinct click), there does not seem to be any play whatsoever. Am I right to assume that the batteries with play might be problematic if this is the case after engaging the latch, so nothing to worry about in my particular case?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Hi all
I just got my Strive today, it's from Canyon's Outlet store, meaning that it has been used previously for testing purposes or so. I have been following the battery latch discussions here, is it correct that I still have the "old" latch?

I ordered Tobias' fix, would you recommend installing it right away or wait until the current latch might break and then hopefully install Canyon's new latch?

I am not 100% sure I understand which part exactly is commonly breaking with the old latch. When I checked mine, it seemed fine. Can someone enlighten me once again which part in the latch to keep inspecting?

View attachment 131394

Further, I read that some batteries have a little bit of play even when installed. Mine has a lot of play if I don't engage the latch, however, when I do (after the very distinct click), there does not seem to be any play whatsoever. Am I right to assume that the batteries with play might be problematic if this is the case after engaging the latch, so nothing to worry about in my particular case?

That looks like you have the new latch fitted. The new latch has the two little extra lugs which yours clearly has. Looks like you’re good to ride trouble free 👍🏽

CrispyDesigns

May 25, 2023
UK
I received my new design latch from Canyon today. Old unit on the left and new unit on the right. The pivoting latch is beefier at the points that previously failed. Apart from that, visually, it looks like the rest is the same.

Fitted it to my battery (750). Good news is that if any of you have the latch fix kit from Tobias Post it fits too.

Fingers crossed this fixes the Achilles Heal of this very capable bike.

IMG_8309.jpeg IMG_8310.jpeg IMG_8311.jpeg

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
I received my new design latch from Canyon today. Old unit on the left and new unit on the right. The pivoting latch is beefier at the points that previously failed. Apart from that, visually, it looks like the rest is the same.

Fitted it to my battery (750). Good news is that if any of you have the latch fix kit from Tobias Post it fits too.

Fingers crossed this fixes the Achilles Heal of this very capable bike.

View attachment 131419 View attachment 131420 View attachment 131421
Send IT as if it was stolen and report back!!

😉

eddie89

Sep 18, 2023
germany
Hey everyone, since i am not so pleased with what canyon offers as a solution, i have started to develop my own locking system. Prototypes are already finished and work well. Next, some parts will be made of aluminum and some with 3d printing from a carbon modified ABS plastic. So I have a perfect solution for the next season.

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-01 at 00.52.24.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-01-01 at 00.52.23.jpeg
001.JPG

Niklas

Jun 10, 2019
Sweden
Hey everyone, since i am not so pleased with what canyon offers as a solution, i have started to develop my own locking system. Prototypes are already finished and work well. Next, some parts will be made of aluminum and some with 3d printing from a carbon modified ABS plastic. So I have a perfect solution for the next season.

View attachment 131562 View attachment 131563 View attachment 131564
Nice but to solve the whole problem you need to fix a better upper connection also. I have fixed my lower so it’s rock solid and still have lots of cutouts so it’s definitely something that’s to week upp there. From what I have been told there are new parts on both ends from Canyon/Bosch (But only the lower is on picture’s here on the forum yet)

eddie89

Sep 18, 2023
germany
Nice but to solve the whole problem you need to fix a better upper connection also. I have fixed my lower so it’s rock solid and still have lots of cutouts so it’s definitely something that’s to week upp there. From what I have been told there are new parts on both ends from Canyon/Bosch (But only the lower is on picture’s here on the forum yet)
I have already made the fastening at the top, you can see it on page 5. Page 5

Niklas

Jun 10, 2019
Sweden
I have already made the fastening at the top, you can see it on page 5. Page 5
Ahh sorry but if I understand right you had 2 bolts lose and just tightened them or am I missing something?
I have checked them and there is still a lot of cutoffs so I still think something needs to be stiffer/stronger upfront.
I have 2 bikes and they both have the same problems so It will be interesting to se the upper fix when it will be ready.

eddie89

Sep 18, 2023
germany
Ahh sorry but if I understand right you had 2 bolts lose and just tightened them or am I missing something?
I have checked them and there is still a lot of cutoffs so I still think something needs to be stiffer/stronger upfront.
I have 2 bikes and they both have the same problems so It will be interesting to se the upper fix when it will be ready.
There are 4 screws, I didn't mention the 2.
1704076491655.png

maramouse

Mar 24, 2018
Genoa Italy
Hi everyone, I have a problem that I have never encountered in many years and with other mtb and e-bikes, the aftermarket protective stickers, that I have always used, on this frame come off, even with excellent products like Dyedbro or the classic shelter 3M....

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Yes I checked them all but they were quite snug. So there must bee something else🤷‍♂️
I have said before that the stress applied to the clamp and the subsequent damage it suffers, is the result of the battery not being properly secured............not the reason for the overall problem. One reason the various zip tie lashing DIY fixes work is that it prevents sideways movement...at least at the bottom of the battery.

The clamp is in my opinion not damaged by the downward weight/force of the battery but rather by the fact the battery is able to move sideways. I do not think the problem of battery cut out will be solved by the redesigned clamp although it should help. I think the answer to the problem is already available and that is the Bosch rail system. Using the Bosch rail the battery is held rigidly in a steel frame that not only locates the entire battery in a rail but also connects the top battery connector and latch together on the steel frame. The top and bottom of the battery cannot move away from the rail. Any flex of the downtube is negated, the slot that captures the latch is steel not ally. All that is required for reliability is to ensure the latch is closed correctly. As far as the latch is concerned lessons could be learned from latches that secure removeable seats in a vehicle..................A coloured section protudes to confirm full operation of the latch.

With the current system employed on the Strive the battery connector is not capable of preventing battery movement, nor was it ever designed to be capable of doing that. It is simply designed to guide the battery onto the metal connections accurately.

I would have thought it would be far easier for Canyon to manage the modifications required to fit the Bosch Rail system than continue with piecemeal fixes.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Hi everyone, I have a problem that I have never encountered in many years and with other mtb and e-bikes, the aftermarket protective stickers, that I have always used, on this frame come off, even with excellent products like Dyedbro or the classic shelter 3M....
they will fix better if the area to which they are applied is thoroughly cleaned with IPA before applying them

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
I have said before that the stress applied to the clamp and the subsequent damage it suffers, is the result of the battery not being properly secured............not the reason for the overall problem. One reason the various zip tie lashing DIY fixes work is that it prevents sideways movement...at least at the bottom of the battery.

The clamp is in my opinion not damaged by the downward weight/force of the battery but rather by the fact the battery is able to move sideways. I do not think the problem of battery cut out will be solved by the redesigned clamp although it should help. I think the answer to the problem is already available and that is the Bosch rail system. Using the Bosch rail the battery is held rigidly in a steel frame that not only locates the entire battery in a rail but also connects the top battery connector and latch together on the steel frame. The top and bottom of the battery cannot move away from the rail. Any flex of the downtube is negated, the slot that captures the latch is steel not ally. All that is required for reliability is to ensure the latch is closed correctly. As far as the latch is concerned lessons could be learned from latches that secure removeable seats in a vehicle..................A coloured section protudes to confirm full operation of the latch.

With the current system employed on the Strive the battery connector is not capable of preventing battery movement, nor was it ever designed to be capable of doing that. It is simply designed to guide the battery onto the metal connections accurately.

I would have thought it would be far easier for Canyon to manage the modifications required to fit the Bosch Rail system than continue with piecemeal fixes.
Second This☝. Unfortunately I think this will only be done on the next Strive model.

maramouse

Mar 24, 2018
Genoa Italy
Hi everyone, as an owner of strive on cfr I sent a message to Canyon Italia asking if there was the possibility of having the latch modified, first of all, they opened a ticket with my request and after a few days they replied that they want photos, in good definition, of the broken piece.... I have no words...
they probably don't even read emails...

Last edited:

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden

I think if you contact canyon you will get the new battery mount sent to you for free that fix the problem.

Maybe you have already done that ?

S1mmo

Aug 30, 2023
Yorkshire
Latch version 2 has arrived in Yorkshire 👌🏽

View attachment 131708
@Tubby G , @CrispyDesigns

I contacted Canyon's warranty team yesterday and they're sending me out a replacement latch to Yorkshire - LCK BOS FOR BATT BBP37YY AXIAL bk

Could you please let me know if this is the Canyon Part Number you received?
There was some confusion over whether I'd be receiving the new or old one.

Thank you

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles