Strive:ON problems

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
Quick question for everyone - my bike is on the way 3-10 days... is it obvious where/how to attach the cable ties?
Would you ride it first and see how it goes or just put the in right away?
If right away: Perhaps a stupid question but do you need to remove the battery to make the "cable tie net" work?
Appreciate I'm asking in advance without any reference bike here but I'm asking as I really just want to have it all ready to prepare when it arrives so I can get riding as quick as possible.

Thanks all!
1st I understand your ansiety.
If I wasn't having problems with the Battery, I would tell you that is one hell of a machine, and will rock you!

But Battery issue, having to anchor it with zipties, it's really a shame...
Maybe some one, used to this issues (in cars...motos...etc...) and fidling all the time, will have zero issues with this.
But I, never ever had issues with my things.
They work... and keep working, after being well maintained.

I really don't understand all this issue, and to make things worse, why Canyon takes SOOOO MUCCHH TIME to acknowlege, and proceed with a recall

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
Battery removal required??
Yes, Bike out the box, get the battery out, get it on charge. Build ur bike, you will need battery ouit to be able to loop your cable ties through the steel hanger at front, motor mounts at rear.

CrispyDesigns

May 25, 2023
UK
Has anyone else seen this fix for the battery latch (it's on the EMTB Facebook page): Log into Facebook
I've ordered one. Should be sent out on Saturday. For the relatively small cost it'd be a worthwhile option to try in the interim

Last edited:

Winryn

Nov 10, 2019
Shropshire
w
Has anyone else seen this fix for the battery latch (it's on the EMTB Facebook page): Log into Facebook
I've ordered one. Should be sent out on Saturday. For the relatively small cost it'd be a worthwhile option to try in the interim
my problem is my bike is on 700 miles and is all fine. Mine has zero movement, very tight and there is no way I could get a spacer in there and still be able to close. So assume this will work for bikes where the battery has movement but will not fit bikes where everything is snug and tight?

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
This will take care of the play...
But will accelarate the plastic "tabs" degradation - the real problem.

Best solution is really the plastic Zips

CrispyDesigns

May 25, 2023
UK
w

my problem is my bike is on 700 miles and is all fine. Mine has zero movement, very tight and there is no way I could get a spacer in there and still be able to close. So assume this will work for bikes where the battery has movement but will not fit bikes where everything is snug and tight?
I'm presuming so. He says it can be fitted even if there has been no failure of the latch.

I have no problems with my bike at all but want to have something that might prolong the functionality of the latch until Canyon and Bosch have a solution they can roll out to all existing riders of the Strive.

CrispyDesigns

May 25, 2023
UK
This will take care of the play...
But will accelarate the plastic "tabs" degradation - the real problem.

Best solution is really the plastic Zips
Maybe so but I'd say for the relatively small cost it's worth a go. Better to be pro-active about the situation you're in. I'll be using the spacer and the zip ties together for peace of mind

CrispyDesigns

May 25, 2023
UK
No probs. I've been gathering all the things people shared and sent a bunch of screenshots over with the issues owners are experiencing. No one likes this situation so hopefully we can get some updates!
I appreciate all the effort and help. It's a cracking bike that I have zero problems with and has helped me ride sections and places that I would have avoided previously. It really is a cracker of a bike. The latch problem once sorted will make this bike even better!

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I appreciate all the effort and help. It's a cracking bike that I have zero problems with and has helped me ride sections and places that I would have avoided previously. It really is a cracker of a bike. The latch problem once sorted will make this bike even better!
If Rob is gathering information to feedback to Canyon it is not going to help putting all the focus on the latch. Broken latches are a symptom of the issue not a cause.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
If Rob is gathering information to feedback to Canyon it is not going to help putting all the focus on the latch. Broken latches are a symptom of the issue not a cause.
Its to show the volume of folks having issues that are sharing it online more than the specifics / root cause of the problem. I am also recieving a number of messages across social media with people asking me question on it, sharing their experiences and asking me for updates, so trying to help where possible.

As an owner of the bike who's also experienced issues I am interested in the solution too!

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Hi all. Just to say I spoke to Canyon UK, as I’m sure many others have, to enquire about the known latch issue.

Their response was that they are still working on the solution and expect new bikes from 2024 to be shipped with the problem solved. In the meantime, an updated latch will be sent to any owners with warranty claims, and the updated latch should be made available to purchase for any owners that don’t necessarily have the issue but would prefer the option of being able to purchase the upgrade. They also expressed that it is a very small minority of owners that are reporting the issue.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Has anyone noticed when the tabs on the latch are actually getting damaged and broken? I've been looking into this, and as far as I can tell, there's barely been a case in the Nordics. Chime in if I'm wrong. This could indicate a production error on a limited ammount of bikes. A possible theory is the upper mount/connector hasn't been fastened properly to the frame on one or a few batches. When that mount is misalligned, the battery might not sit in the correct position when installed in the frame. When attaching the latch, the distance to the hook might be off and the motion of locking the latch might be damaging the latch tabs as it's "over stretching"...

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Has anyone noticed when the tabs on the latch are actually getting damaged and broken? I've been looking into this, and as far as I can tell, there's barely been a case in the Nordics. Chime in if I'm wrong. This could indicate a production error on a limited ammount of bikes. A possible theory is the upper mount/connector hasn't been fastened properly to the frame on one or a few batches. When that mount is misalligned, the battery might not sit in the correct position when installed in the frame. When attaching the latch, the distance to the hook might be off and the motion of locking the latch might be damaging the latch tabs as it's "over stretching"...
The cam lever action of closing the latch will pull the battery into alignment. The tabs that go into the battery plug connector at the top are guide lugs not fixings. IMO the latch failure is caused by the battery being able to move laterally. The latch is a cam type locking mechanism which is a strong design provided it stays at a constant angle to its anchor point....the "slot".

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
The cam lever action of closing the latch will pull the battery into alignment. The tabs that go into the battery plug connector at the top are guide lugs not fixings. IMO the latch failure is caused by the battery being able to move laterally. The latch is a cam type locking mechanism which is a strong design provided it stays at a constant angle to its anchor point....the "slot".
Okay, will have a look at a CFR in a few days and check out the mechanism.

Jona

Jan 24, 2020
Belgium
Just a video showing Scott solution - it seems to use the Bosch Rail

Any problems with Scott Patron eRide?
I have a friend with a scott Patron, he has the same issues. He recieved already two new batteries under warranty due to bad connections/broken latch issues.
also there is a tread here Scott Patron battery holder
So, i'm afraid that the bosch rail allone will notsolve the issue.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hi all. Latest from my Canyon sources today (mon 23rd Oct). I’ll share more as and when I get it.

“We've developed an improved solution to this together with Bosch and this will be made available for customers as soon as possible. At the moment we can't give exact dates for which I apologise, but we're working on it and we'll get back to you with clear information about the distribution of the new latches as soon as we can.”

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Thanks Rob. Will be interested to see what their solution is. Sounds like literally just a new latch.

Hopefully sooner than later.

Jona

Jan 24, 2020
Belgium
i have been promised a new latch (not 100% sure it will be a new one, but assume it will be)
delivery date is February 2024:
1698158079304.png

i would advice to add a plastic part under the latch as discribed by serveral people in this tread, or buy this part in facebook link above:

until Bosch/canyon has a good solution

Last edited:

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
i have been promised a new latch (not 100% sure it will be a new one, but assume it will be)
delivery date is February 2024:
View attachment 127535
i would advice to add a plastic part under the latch as discribed by serveral people in this tread, or buy this part in facebook link above:

until Bosch/canyon has a good solution
You must be special....

Just a 3.5 months wait

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
Received a new latch from Canyon, after ±2 weeks since I've contacted them (started 11/Oct ended today, 25/Oct).
First, let me thank you Roany @Canyon for taking the time to reply and solving the issue by sending a new latch.

just to inform that the Latch is equal to the one removed, and finally I'm able to play around with the old one.

It seems tomorrow there's a ride coming up! 😀 Better later, than never!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles