Strive:ON problems

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
It looks a simple job to replicate the reinforced areas of the original latch as per the new one.................JB Weld is your friend.

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
Is it just me or does someone else also think that those 2 tiny pieces of plastic don't do much for reinforcement.

I mean why not just add reinforcement material over the whole length/width of the latch🧐🤷‍♂️

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Is it just me or does someone else also think that those 2 tiny pieces of plastic don't do much for reinforcement.

I mean why not just add reinforcement material over the whole length/width of the latch🧐🤷‍♂️
not just you! It may help a little but merely reinforcing the latch does not address the reason the latch gets damaged in the first place..............in my opinion!

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Now then. Took the StriveOn to the Lake District today and managed a full ride with the new latch without any issues, and had plenty of fast rocky descents to give the bike an all over shake & rattle. So far so good.

However, towards the end (luckily) of the ride, my left hand crank fell off!

My crank bolt seems to be missing a top washer / spacer:

IMG_5214.jpeg

IMG_5213.jpeg

Stock photo for comparison …

IMG_0936.jpeg

Anyone know if that top washer / spacer is actually critical and therefore I need to buy a replacement bolt, or can I just tighten up my crank bolt with it missing and all will be ok ? Cheers

CrispyDesigns

May 25, 2023
UK
It looks like the conical part is there to close the gap and stop any gunk and mud getting into the threads. I’d say the collar on the bolt does all the work of applying pressure to hold the crank

Tieff

Jan 20, 2024
Switzerland
Got my Strive:On CFR two days ago (ordered it at 23rd of December 2023), but couldn't unbox it until today. I ordered a reduced bike in the outlet, unridden but with minor paint damage. Was super surprised that everything was like new, no scratches, nothing. Only in the area of the upper screw in the down tube some paint chipped off (see picture). Doesn't look nice but for about 1000 CHF less I can live with that pretty good.
20240120_101229.jpg
20240120_101623.jpg

Ok, but my real reason for this post is: how does Canyon deal with the latch problem (I was super excited)?

Again, I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised: They include the newly revised version of the Latch from Bosch with the bike (see pictures with part number). The old version of the latch was mounted, so you have to change it yourself. No instructions, not a word about it, but as a mechanic you don't have an issue with it. Have already changed it and keep the old as backup in case the new one fails.
Photos: left: new latch, middle: new latch part no., right: old latch installed
20240120_100643.jpg
20240120_112821.jpg
20240120_111057.jpg

As an engineer, however, I still don't quite trust this solution. That's why I looked around at Cascade Components for the metal version (see photos on p. 14 of this forum). I’ve got the confirmation that it should be available soon! I will order and install it as soon as possible, and then I hope that there will be peace with this tiresome topic...

20240120_101623.jpg 20240120_112821.jpg

wessobert3000

Dec 20, 2022
Germany
My latch is also broken. I called Canyon and received the new, reinforced version within three days. Good service.

Have any of you also combined the new version with Tobias' solution?

CrispyDesigns

May 25, 2023
UK
My latch is also broken. I called Canyon and received the new, reinforced version within three days. Good service.

Have any of you also combined the new version with Tobias' solution?
I have the new latch with Tobias’s fix and have had no issues at all. The bike is pretty much flawless for me now. Shorter cranks are next and that’ll be it done

wessobert3000

Dec 20, 2022
Germany
I have the new latch with Tobias’s fix and have had no issues at all. The bike is pretty much flawless for me now. Shorter cranks are next and that’ll be it done
Yeah, shorter cranks are on my list, top.

Which one do you prefere?

No 155mm versions are available in Germany right now besides Hope (expansive)

CrispyDesigns

May 25, 2023
UK
Yeah, shorter cranks are on my list, top.

Which one do you prefere?

No 155mm versions are available in Germany right now besides Hope (expansive)
I have looked at the Hope cranks as 155mm is my preferred length to try. Was hoping there’d be a 155mm option from E*Thirteen.

Anyone else know of compatible 155mm cranks other than Hope?

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Great quality

wessobert3000

Dec 20, 2022
Germany
Great quality
F…ing brexit make them expensive in Germany

jxrx

Dec 12, 2022
Zürich
Hey all, I've been back and forth with whether to post this but... my Strive:On is great and I've gotten some good rides on it in the slop now. With Tobias's battery fix no cut outs from day.1 so nice that works. However I do find that at 25km/h it cuts off pretty hard and feels like an elastic band pulling me back, but if I can pedal hard through it and I mean pedal REALLY hard if I can just get it up to like >=28-30km/h then it's almost easier at that speed to pedal it than it is between 25-27km/h.

Is it just me????
It's really like they want to discourage you at 25-27km/h to go harder unless on a big hill down. Even then it doesn't seem to pick up speed as fast as a regular MTB and I would expect it to pick up speed faster as it's 25kg so potential speed due to weight should be more.

Appreciate your thoughts. The local Canyon repair place looked at it and said no resistance and it's all fine but in my mind I still feel something there...

Jona

Jan 24, 2020
Belgium
is this your first E-bike? than i suspect nothing is wrong.
it does feel like that in the beginning. you get used to it.
don't forget that you have a heavy bike with dragy tires, with "enduro" geometry

S1mmo

Aug 30, 2023
Yorkshire
I agree with @Jona .
Mine feels like the invisible man has slammed the brakes on when it reaches the limit but it's a big heavy bike with heavy wheels and sticky downhill tyres.
I don't fully appreciate how much the motor is actually doing until it cuts out 😳

Jona

Jan 24, 2020
Belgium
To be honest, if you use the bike as intended, you won't notice it much.
look for the steepest climbs and decent, you won't notice and have a lot of fun :cool:

jxrx

Dec 12, 2022
Zürich
OK folks, thing is I can ride my bio bike over 25km/h on this stretch of trail which is mostly flat, slightly downhill and has a few jumps but can't pedal it over 25km/h easily enough to really him them at speed, bit frustrating. It's just weird that 25-28km/h is so hard to push through and it almost frees up over 28km/h and becomes a bit easier again. Meh still an awesome bike :)

jxrx

Dec 12, 2022
Zürich
Well that's VERY interesting!!! With the latest Flow update I was able to make one setting AUTO and I feel a lot less drag above 25km/h in AUTO than I do in eMTB. I'm sure there's something in it... either way AUTO works a treat

CrispyDesigns

May 25, 2023
UK
Well that's VERY interesting!!! With the latest Flow update I was able to make one setting AUTO and I feel a lot less drag above 25km/h in AUTO than I do in eMTB. I'm sure there's something in it... either way AUTO works a treat
Where in the Flow app did you find this?

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles