STOP riding...

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Can we ride trails on zwift? I guess I could get the missus to hit me with a bat at random intervals for that authentic mtb feel
There is an off road route which has recently been added that requires you to steer the bike which is interesting. Still in the dev stages though...... different, not that realistic but a bit of fun. When you finish the ride Zwift ask you for feedback so it’s still a ‘work in progress’. You need to buy a steering gadget that fits under your front wheel too which is under £40.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I can’t believe we’re going to end up with a “What Turbo Trainer” thread on here. What have we become???

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Lets see our “pain caves” :D

image.jpg

Karsten

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I can’t believe we’re going to end up with a “What Turbo Trainer” thread on here. What have we become???

All those forward thinking hub motored bike owners with regen, who can be just rigging their bikes to work like an adjustable trainer .. b4stards ! :)

Maybe there should be another thread "My Garden is now a tiny bike park" ...

And I don't mean this kind of garden bike park ..

bike park.jpeg

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
It beats doing nothing while we are in lock down dude. I suspect having to stay indoors will start to be enforced in the next few weeks or sooner :(

Reactions: Dax

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I have been out on my bike every night this week as I consider Fresh air and some fitness are essential for my health. Mostly alone, but yesterday with a friend. We kept a safe distance from each other.
Anyway with those trainers, are there any that can be used with a mountainbike, as I don't own a road bike.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
If I don't get out and ride, then a LOT of people are going to end up in the emergency room....mental health matters too!

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I have been out on my bike every night this week as I consider Fresh air and some fitness are essential for my health. Mostly alone, but yesterday with a friend. We kept a safe distance from each other.
Anyway with those trainers, are there any that can be used with a mountainbike, as I don't own a road bike.

I can't see why anything that fits a road bike shouldn't fit a mountain bike. I stuck a "shopper" into mine a few years back for my wife to use. Not sure about "Boost" though. And you may need adapters to/from QR skewers.

However, bear in mind that using any sort of turbo trainer (which supports the rear end of the bike at the back axle) will probably invalidate your warranty. If you're a big lad you are quite likely to kill the frame, especially carbon.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
About 15 years ago I bought an exercise bike, like those you see in the gyms. Ex-demo, so I got it cheap. Thank Kerrist it was delivered or I would never have got it upstairs. I bought it because when my back was troubling me it was the only exercise I could do. It is still going strong and I still use it from time to time when the weather is foul. Looks like I might be using it more frequently before too long. No screen on it though, looking at the garden while listening to the radio will have to do. No fan either, but I can open the windows!

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I can't see why anything that fits a road bike shouldn't fit a mountain bike. I stuck a "shopper" into mine a few years back for my wife to use. Not sure about "Boost" though. And you may need adapters to/from QR skewers.

However, bear in mind that using any sort of turbo trainer (which supports the rear end of the bike at the back axle) will probably invalidate your warranty. If you're a big lad you are quite likely to kill the frame, especially carbon.

If you leave the knobby tire on the bike, you'll have a noise level akin to an A380 at takeoff, and will spew a constant stream of oily rubber on the wall...

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
We all have to be extra carefull and consider not riding difficult or fast tracks...Maybe no even ride at all :cry:

Why - If You get hurt and need to go to hospital - You could carry virus and contaminate the hospital.
By doing this You could be the reason that the doctors and nurses could sick or a whole department need to be in quarantined.

Any kind of cycling is already banned in Italy and Spain :unsure:

We all have to make our own sacrifices to the god of your local community :giggle:

Skip this weeks upgrade and buy a hometrain - like this

Cycling has not been banned in Italy! You may cycle to work, cycle to buy groceries or other essentials, AND cycle for exercise. You must maintain the social distancing while riding. This is directly off the Ministero degli Affari Esterni website. I went out for a 36km ride yesterday and did gravel roads along with some very easy cross country type trails at a cautious pace. More risk walking down stairs or moving the lawn!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Ref to post #53
So in my age group 60-69, of those that have symptoms, 16.6% require hospitalisation. And of those 27.4% need critical care. ie 0.166 x 0.274 = 4.5% of those that have symptoms. And of them, half die! (2.2 vs 4.5)

Similar calc for the next age groups either side. Once you go into critical care, half die! :eek::(

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
well, I was planning on riding tomorrow cos I have a forest directly behind the house where 9 times out of 10 I wont see anyone else when riding.. but people are selfish and my phones just rang with two broken boilers.. pffftt.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
but people are selfish

I'm selfish. I want Dobby video's ! So glove up, mask up and insist they all stay 2 meters away from you...... We're all waiting for "Dobby's Back !" - which hopefully will be a cool video in the garden or forest, and not a hideous close up video - like flying over the deathstar but heading down your hairy back to ... the deep dark crevice !

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
Well you are obviously a lot fitter than I am.
My personal experience with my TACX Neo trainer is it is a lot more difficult than riding an ebike on ANY power setting and is very similar to riding my analogue mtb :unsure:
Out of curiosity, what have you got your ‘trainer difficulty’ set to on Zwift?

View attachment 27551
Often referred to as the Neo tax - you lose about 10% ish of your watts compared to some other brands. In my experience it’s been very accurate.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Ref to post #53
So in my age group 60-69, of those that have symptoms, 16.6% require hospitalisation. And of those 27.4% need critical care. ie 0.166 x 0.274 = 4.5% of those that have symptoms. And of them, half die! (2.2 vs 4.5)

Similar calc for the next age groups either side. Once you go into critical care, half die! :eek::(

Well, that's the assumption Imperial College built into their computer model. But it's based on current fatality rates.

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
We all have to be extra carefull and consider not riding difficult or fast tracks...Maybe no even ride at all :cry:

Why - If You get hurt and need to go to hospital - You could carry virus and contaminate the hospital.
By doing this You could be the reason that the doctors and nurses could sick or a whole department need to be in quarantined.

Any kind of cycling is already banned in Italy and Spain :unsure:

We all have to make our own sacrifices to the god of your local community :giggle:

Skip this weeks upgrade and buy a hometrain - like this
I'm getting messages from my bike friends, if i'm riding my bike, should I, etc..?
And I said to them, roads, trails will be there in May, June.... Bike will wait for you, if you don't have indoor trainer.
If you are not a professional, what "damage" will it be, to just sit "this one" out and consider this as a extension of a winter break. You can do some house chores inside and outside, you can binge watch Netflix, etc.
Really don't understand, how we just can't leave the bikes for month or two.:unsure:
Only one problem, watch what you are eating, not to gain weight.... :censored: But as a see, one week in "quarantine", you eat less as you know, that going to the store will be a struggle, so you have to ration the food.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles