Stop battery getting stolen

dps21

Aug 27, 2023
Scotland
Hi folks
I have a Specialized turbo levo. The battery is held in with a hex bolt that could easily be undone. I lock my bike up to back of car when camping (beside it) on multi-day treks, but just thought what's to stop someone stealing the £1000 battery off the bike. Any suggestions? Thanks

wenna

Aug 1, 2023
Sweden
Maybe a security anti theft bolt that you need a special tool to loosen (like you can have for the rims on your car). I´m sure you can find one of the correct size.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
A reasonable deterrent but i have 5 lob security bits in a bit set along with torq , torq plus , spline and allen bolts and the usual array of screw driver bit etc
Basically if they want it they will have it

wenna mentioned car wheel bolts there pointless on cars for the same reason as there's so many tools available to remove them now the only people who get hindered and inconvenienced by them are the owners them selves when somebody looses the key​

Its a bugger these days to keep stuff safe :(

You could always get a dog and tie them to the bike overnight (y)

dps21

Aug 27, 2023
Scotland
A reasonable deterrent but i have 5 lob security bits in a bit set along with torq , torq plus , spline and allen bolts and the usual array of screw driver bit etc
Basically if they want it they will have it

wenna mentioned car wheel bolts there pointless on cars for the same reason as there's so many tools available to remove them now the only people who get hindered and inconvenienced by them are the owners them selves when somebody looses the key​

Its a bugger these days to keep stuff safe :(

You could always get a dog and tie them to the bike overnight (y)
You could always get a dog and tie them to the bike overnight

Now I like that idea! Could also help pull me up the hill when battery flat!

wenna

Aug 1, 2023
Sweden
I was thinking something like this:

31TPnscYLbS._AC_SL1000_.jpg

61SmkRqDRPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
I was thinking something like this:

31TPnscYLbS._AC_SL1000_.jpg

61SmkRqDRPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
There nice bolts if the edges had not been flat and the curve started from the mating face because as they are a good pair of pliers will undo them
Circlip pliers will fit in the holes also and undo them easy
Only if said thief has circlip pliers in there arsenal of course
By the way im not trying to piss on your parade (y)

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Hi folks
I have a Specialized turbo levo. The battery is held in with a hex bolt that could easily be undone. I lock my bike up to back of car when camping (beside it) on multi-day treks, but just thought what's to stop someone stealing the £1000 battery off the bike. Any suggestions? Thanks
Having had a bike nicked whilst camping (2 locks around it, 2 feet from where my head was in the tent) I work slightly differently now.

The bike goes in the tent (drive away awning) with me. And it has a motion alarm. And (I kid you not) a steel cable that goes from the bike and is attached to my pillow.

If they can still nick the bike after that lot then I've probably got admiration for them tbh.

dps21

Aug 27, 2023
Scotland
Having had a bike nicked whilst camping (2 locks around it, 2 feet from where my head was in the tent) I work slightly differently now.

The bike goes in the tent (drive away awning) with me. And it has a motion alarm. And (I kid you not) a steel cable that goes from the bike and is attached to my pillow.

If they can still nick the bike after that lot then I've probably got admiration for them tbh.
Jeez that's unlucky - but thanks for the advice - may have to up my security

wenna

Aug 1, 2023
Sweden
There nice bolts if the edges had not been flat and the curve started from the mating face because as they are a good pair of pliers will undo them
Circlip pliers will fit in the holes also and undo them easy
Only if said thief has circlip pliers in there arsenal of course
By the way im not trying to piss on your parade (y)
Of course anything can get stolen and not any lock is foolproof. It´s all about making it harder for the thief. Cars can be broken into also as easy as breaking a window, but that doesn´t mean you might as well leave the car unlocked.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Jeez that's unlucky - but thanks for the advice - may have to up my security
No one heard anything, and I'm a light sleeper too. Also, mine and my boys bike (also stolen) were rearmost of the 4 stacked family bikes. The locks were nowhere to be seen, and there was no damage to what they were locked to. Must have been bloody Houdini. The thieving scum left the Mrs and daughters bikes, being somewhat more budget. How nice of them.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Of course anything can get stolen and not any lock is foolproof. It´s all about making it harder for the thief. Cars can be broken into also as easy as breaking a window, but that doesn´t mean you might as well leave the car unlocked.
You say that but i know a few people that leave there cars unlocked rather than get a broken window

Anyway You have obviously taken offence to my reply's hence why i left the comment at the end of my last reply so i will leave it there (y)

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Hi folks
Hi folks
This works for me.

118468-797539e16dcbf2523686e01bc43e6769.jpg

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
I never leave my battery on the Ebike when transporting. Not only is it lighter to pick up onto the rack . . . . I don’t trust Trek’s locking mechanism. I picture looking in the review mirror and watching my $1,000 battery bouncing down the highway :eek:

If I were to take the Ebike camping, I would keep the battery in the locked SUV or take it into the tent.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I never leave my battery on the Ebike when transporting. Not only is it lighter to pick up onto the rack . . . . I don’t trust Trek’s locking mechanism. I picture looking in the review mirror and watching my $1,000 battery bouncing down the highway :eek:

If I were to take the Ebike camping, I would keep the battery in the locked SUV or take it into the tent.
I take wheels off and put it all in camper at night beside me depending on where I am at . Same if I go hillwalking. Suppose they could take van as well but we have to faith in the world sometimes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles