STOP riding...

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
We all have to be extra carefull and consider not riding difficult or fast tracks...Maybe no even ride at all :cry:

Why - If You get hurt and need to go to hospital - You could carry virus and contaminate the hospital.
By doing this You could be the reason that the doctors and nurses could sick or a whole department need to be in quarantined.

Any kind of cycling is already banned in Italy and Spain :unsure:

We all have to make our own sacrifices to the god of your local community :giggle:

Skip this weeks upgrade and buy a hometrain - like this

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
True .. but lets face it, most of us have probably injured ourselves more not riding that riding ? (I'll exclude myself from that statistic)....

Last year when I wiped out like a numpty and fractured my Pelvis, the same week a friend fell of the third step of a ladder in his garage.. fell awkwardly, also broke his pelvis in 6 places and did a whole list of other impressive bits of damage. He was in a hospital bed for 5 months ..

Sometimes sh1t just happens ....

But yes .. stay safe .. maybe don't do that stupid run you're not sure about .. just be glad you're out and about - if you can go out.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
True .. but lets face it, most of us have probably injured ourselves more not riding that riding ? (I'll exclude myself from that statistic)....

Last year when I wiped out like a numpty and fractured my Pelvis, the same week a friend fell of the third step of a ladder in his garage.. fell awkwardly, also broke his pelvis in 6 places and did a whole list of other impressive bits of damage. He was in a hospital bed for 5 months ..

Sometimes sh1t just happens ....

But yes .. stay safe .. maybe don't do that stupid run you're not sure about .. just be glad you're out and about - if you can go out.
Would have been a chopper job for me today if I crashed remote area plus no phone signal probably be deed now actually.

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
More accidents from being in the home apparently! Even if things are hanging off me I don’t bother with A&E. fractured my hip in April 2019 and didn’t go to hospital until End of June...

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think its fine, provided its in line with government advice, to go out for a gentle ride, but at the moment I will be sticking to my local xc route vs hitting any proper trails, I just dont think it would be responsible to me or my family to be pushing it right now, but the mental benefits of going out for a ride cant be denied

Last edited:

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
It’s detrimental to my marriage staying at home too long and my wife’s mental health. Already shirking from home and that it’s tough enough. She keeps pointing at strange devices and pointing me towards them.. it was a fecking vacuum cleaner apparently the last one! Plus this list on the side called Dads Jobs appeared out of the blue.. even had a neat tick box next to each one on the list ....

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
I understand you all - but around here in Denmark everything are closing down.
"We are in week 2 af 10-12 weeks of war against the virus" - Department of Health &
Social Care

But it's like we don't want to admit that - but we have to - othervise the period will be prolonged and even thougher
Sadly both Italy and Spain are ahead of us.
But the curfew will come to every country.
---
Cycling ban in Italy and Spain

The Italian government banned leisure cycling outdoors on March 9, and Spain has now also prohibited leisure cycling for 15 days from March 14. (This includes all bikes, whether two or three wheels, or electric or pedal-powered — it’s all green transport.)

Only rides for food or medical supplies are allowed in Italy, and if a cyclist is caught riding for any other reason, they could face a fine of €3,000, according to Cycling Today.

In Spain, according to Velo News, the only exceptions are for work, to buy food, to seek medical care, or to care for the elderly or those who need help. Fines start at €600 and prison sentences are possible.

Last edited:

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
In Spain, according to Velo News, the only exceptions are for work, to buy food, to seek medical care, or to care for the elderly or those who need help. Fines start at €100 and prison sentences are possible.

Not sure where you got the 100€ figure @Frank_Denmark . The Guardia Civil published the following on Sunday which starts the fines at 600€. The fines rise to 60,000€ on persistent offending, with prison sentences possible, as you say. Harsh enough to be effective.

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-15 at 1.42.00 PM.jpeg

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
It is looking likely that this is going to be a very long haul folks so an option I can highly recommend to get you through the ‘stir crazy‘ moments is the following......
1. A smart trainer
Best turbo trainer 2020: top-rated smart trainers
2. An android phone or android tablet or iPhone or iPad.
3. Zwift or any other Virtual trainer App.
With the above you can do virtual off road, virtual on road, solo or group ride events or various training sessions with zero chance of catching Covid 19.
I did an off road group ride with 250 people last night?
Last week I managed 180km of riding with over 5000 metres of climbing.
Warning!
Smart trainers, especially the good ones are very very realistic so if you are used to riding your ebike all the time and you have not ridden your analogue/acoustic for a while you are in for a big wake up call especially when you arrive at the bottom of your first 10% gradient virtual hill :eek:
Have fun and be safe!

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
Warning!
Smart trainers, especially the good ones are very very realistic so if you are used to riding your ebike all the time and you have not ridden your analogue/acoustic for a while you are in for a big wake up call especially when you arrive at the bottom of your first 10% gradient virtual hill :eek:
Have fun and be safe!

You’re right about the wake up call, but not for the reasons you state. I use Zwift weekly on a Wahoo Kickr trainer and a road bike. On Zwift, I can hammer out an avg speed of 22mph over an hour and around 1500’ of climbing. There is NO WAY I could touch that on a real road ride. The technology is still restricted and not yet even remotely realistic.

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
Why - If You get hurt and need to go to hospital - You could carry virus and contaminate the hospital.
By doing this You could be the reason that the doctors and nurses could sick or a whole department need to be in quarantined.
It's not about carrying the virus and contaminating the hospital, the hospital is already full of contaminated people and a cyclist is not likely to be infected while out on a ride. It's about diverting medical resources to treat your cycling injury that should be used to treat people affected by COV19.

Anyway I will still go out for rides in the woods and nature because where I live has a very low population density and I will not do stupid stuff like cycle on tough trails or crazy downhills. There is a lot more to cycling than just thrill-seeking and it is just good to be out in nature riding along and enjoying the scenery with no-one else around.

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
The National Trust here in the U.K. has just opened up its parks and gardens so we can go and visit for free during the social distancing period, so I can’t really see a ban on cycling being put in place. For now.

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
You’re right about the wake up call, but not for the reasons you state. I use Zwift weekly on a Wahoo Kickr trainer and a road bike. On Zwift, I can hammer out an avg speed of 22mph over an hour and around 1500’ of climbing. There is NO WAY I could touch that on a real road ride. The technology is still restricted and not yet even remotely realistic.
Well you are obviously a lot fitter than I am.
My personal experience with my TACX Neo trainer is it is a lot more difficult than riding an ebike on ANY power setting and is very similar to riding my analogue mtb :unsure:
Out of curiosity, what have you got your ‘trainer difficulty’ set to on Zwift?

D180BF00-0135-4CA1-973A-EB66C4BA8ECB.png

Last edited:

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Can you set up an emtb forums club on Zwift for group rides?
Not sure as I am a newby, only been on it for 6 weeks. I will check and see, I think you can create an ‘event’ and people can join. I am sure there are people on here that can enlighten us re what we can or cannot do ;)

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
I'm just taking apart my emtb, cleaning everything, adding a few upgrades. I also grabbed my friend's mtb while dropping him some painkiller earlier today. Just working on both bikes and playing some games. Playing Kingdom Come (medieval rpg) and Descenders (awesome MTB game) right now.
I really wanna ride but it's not worth it. France just clarified that no you shouldn't go biking outside, except for commuting/groceries.

[Coronavirus] La Ministre des Sports le précise, le cyclisme interdit en extérieur

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
It is looking likely that this is going to be a very long haul folks so an option I can highly recommend to get you through the ‘stir crazy‘ moments is the following......
1. A smart trainer
Best turbo trainer 2020: top-rated smart trainers
2. An android phone or android tablet or iPhone or iPad.
3. Zwift or any other Virtual trainer App.
With the above you can do virtual off road, virtual on road, solo or group ride events or various training sessions with zero chance of catching Covid 19.
I did an off road group ride with 250 people last night?
Last week I managed 180km of riding with over 5000 metres of climbing.
Warning!
Have fun and be safe!

Or you can do this:

Knock up a little axle stand to get the rear wheel off the ground, stick the bike in the lounge room in front of the big screen TV, find an awesome POV MTB video on Youtube and go nuts petending its you doing the ride on the screen. How easy is it to jump that gap when it's someone else doing it!

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
Well you are obviously a lot fitter than I am ... Out of curiosity, what have you got your ‘trainer difficulty’ set to on Zwift?

That’s my point ... I’m not that fit, the problem with Zwift is it simulates the effort required to turn the pedals, not the leg strength required to cope with driving your body weight forward and for heavier riders that’s an important distinction. I have my trainer on max difficulty, although this parameter should be called something else as it actually controls how the trainer responds on the climbs and how much you need to use the gears like on a real bike. It’s not really about ‘difficulty’ as such, more like realism.

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
That’s my point ... I’m not that fit, the problem with Zwift is it simulates the effort required to turn the pedals, not the leg strength required to cope with driving your body weight forward and for heavier riders that’s an important distinction. I have my trainer on max difficulty, although this parameter should be called something else as it actually controls how the trainer responds on the climbs and how much you need to use the gears like on a real bike. It’s not really about ‘difficulty’ as such, more like realism.

Very strange, looks like my experience is quite different to yours ?
On the flats and downhill the resistance may be out but not by a huge amount.
On the climbs for me personally, anything continuous over 7% to me is very realistic. 15% is lowest gear as possible. If I hit a 15% climb in the wrong gear the bike will stop as the resistance kicks in very quickly.
Maybe it is because I am a lighter rider? 74kgs.

Regardless, the key thing is it will keep me and anyone else that wants to try one active and bike fit while we are in this lock down.

32E764A1-EEB9-4D66-BEB9-6086BE69D82B.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles