STOP riding...

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I'm getting messages from my bike friends, if i'm riding my bike, should I, etc..?
And I said to them, roads, trails will be there in May, June.... Bike will wait for you, if you don't have indoor trainer.
If you are not a professional, what "damage" will it be, to just sit "this one" out and consider this as a extension of a winter break. You can do some house chores inside and outside, you can binge watch Netflix, etc.
Really don't understand, how we just can't leave the bikes for month or two.:unsure:
Only one problem, watch what you are eating, not to gain weight.... :censored: But as a see, one week in "quarantine", you eat less as you know, that going to the store will be a struggle, so you have to ration the food.
Really sorry to tell you this, but it is going to be way longer than that. The UK PM today said “we can turn the tide in 12 weeks”, but that will be far from the end of the restrictions; he also said the earliest schools could be back is Sept.

PM: We can 'turn the tide' on coronavirus crisis

According to the Imperial College paper we could see restrictions until we have an effective vaccine, and that could be 12-18 months minimum. A smart trainer is looking like a better idea all the time... ?

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
Really sorry to tell you this, but it is going to be way longer than that. The UK PM today said “we can turn the tide in 12 weeks”, but that will be far from the end of the restrictions; he also said the earliest schools could be back is Sept.

PM: We can 'turn the tide' on coronavirus crisis

According to the Imperial College paper we could see restrictions until we have an effective vaccine, and that could be 12-18 months minimum. A smart trainer is looking like a better idea all the time... ?

Im perfectly aware of that. That is why, my bikes in the garage are least of my worries for now, even if I don't ride it for a year or more.
If we don't stop this soon, inevitable worst case scenario will have to happen and 80%+ of world population, will have to get infected with Covid19 and than will be more or less immune or next infection, will be like any other cold or flu.
Unfortunately, that will take many lives and we will face world wide recession, devastating economic collapse, etc.

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
Cycling has not been banned in Italy! You may cycle to work, cycle to buy groceries or other essentials, AND cycle for exercise. You must maintain the social distancing while riding. This is directly off the Ministero degli Affari Esterni website. I went out for a 36km ride yesterday and did gravel roads along with some very easy cross country type trails at a cautious pace. More risk walking down stairs or moving the lawn!

Well looks like I am going to have to eat my words...

The Regional Governor of Friuli-Venezia-Giulia implemented a decree last night forbidding walks and bicycling and has ordered residents to remain indoors unless travelling to and from work or going to purchase groceries.

Since I don't have an indoor trainer it looks like its going to be 3-4 grocery runs a week on my trekking bike just to get some exercise.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
if i really want to ride outside now , i go to the trails far away in the forest that i know that not many people ride or nobody ride .

Reactions: Dax

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
if i really want to ride outside now , i go to the trails far away in the forest that i know that not many people ride or nobody ride .
It's not a problem getting away from people, but rather getting hurt and than you will need medical attention. Well you can also hurt yourself at home, but still, why push your luck, if you don't have to.;)
Right now, I don't want to get any near the hospital, if I don't have to.

slippery pete

Oct 29, 2019
Scotland
Just received notification that the first two Scottish enduro series events are canceled/postponed. Realistically I expected this. It was the focus of my season and the reason I bought an eMTB was to train more effectively.

Bugger

Last edited:

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Well looks like I am going to have to eat my words...

The Regional Governor of Friuli-Venezia-Giulia implemented a decree last night forbidding walks and bicycling and has ordered residents to remain indoors unless travelling to and from work or going to purchase groceries.

Since I don't have an indoor trainer it looks like its going to be 3-4 grocery runs a week on my trekking bike just to get some exercise.

Like this?

shopping_ID.jpg

Wheelie_King

The Spirit Level ?️
Sep 28, 2019
Lancashire (Fylde Coast)
I have been out on my bike every night this week as I consider Fresh air and some fitness are essential for my health. Mostly alone, but yesterday with a friend. We kept a safe distance from each other.
Anyway with those trainers, are there any that can be used with a mountainbike, as I don't own a road bike.
Wahoo Kickr I know work with all sorts of bikes.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
So I went out on my local trails in Reigate today, a lot of people out, and several group rides, mainly older gents. Also big gatherings of runners and bikers at the Junction 9 cafe at the top of Reigate hill, which is kind of the Start/finish point for a lot people - have to say it made me a little bit angry, I am all for heading out solo, or maybe two or three of you if keeping your distance, but group rides and runs, that's just stupid IMO.

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
So I went out on my local trails in Reigate today, a lot of people out, and several group rides, mainly older gents. Also big gatherings of runners and bikers at the Junction 9 cafe at the top of Reigate hill, which is kind of the Start/finish point for a lot people - have to say it made me a little bit angry, I am all for heading out solo, or maybe two or three of you if keeping your distance, but group rides and runs, that's just stupid IMO.
My WhatsApp roadie mates are doing small groups 2-3. Jennie what’s her face on the daily uk govt press show yesterday said said we could ride together but to avoid touching each other’s equipment ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
It wasn't so much the riding, it was the amount of sweaty heavily breathing people all standing around next to each other!

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
We all have to be extra carefull and consider not riding difficult or fast tracks...Maybe no even ride at all :cry:

Why - If You get hurt and need to go to hospital - You could carry virus and contaminate the hospital.
By doing this You could be the reason that the doctors and nurses could sick or a whole department need to be in quarantined.

Any kind of cycling is already banned in Italy and Spain :unsure:

We all have to make our own sacrifices to the god of your local community :giggle:

Skip this weeks upgrade and buy a hometrain - like this

High Rock Ruti
Suburban Boston USA

I rode 14 double track miles I was happy to see lots of hikers and there kids out exercising. I'm riding extra careful.........what ever that equals?

It looks like mandatory quarantine allows for exercising outdoors, Massachusetts has not told us to stay home yet. Interestingly gas stations are going to stay open, odd for stay at home order. Four US States have instituted stay at home orders, however the list of exceptions so far allows a lots of movement. It's early days, but its comforting to know that Costco has toilet paper again.

Alan wolfe

Oct 10, 2018
Ffgjh
We all have to be extra carefull and consider not riding difficult or fast tracks...Maybe no even ride at all :cry:

Why - If You get hurt and need to go to hospital - You could carry virus and contaminate the hospital.
By doing this You could be the reason that the doctors and nurses could sick or a whole department need to be in quarantined.

Any kind of cycling is already banned in Italy and Spain :unsure:

We all have to make our own sacrifices to the god of your local community :giggle:

Skip this weeks upgrade and buy a hometrain - like this
Good advice I cut down on anything stupid are daft just going for local rides to keep my fitness up

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
It's not a problem getting away from people, but rather getting hurt and than you will need medical attention. Well you can also hurt yourself at home, but still, why push your luck, if you don't have to.;)
Right now, I don't want to get any near the hospital, if I don't have to.

And of course, if injured, we'd be using up precious resources needed for others in the hospital - that's my concern.

Keep safe all.

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
If I don't get out to ride soon! ( It's been raining non stop!) Will have to be put in a mental institute!!!
Got out yesterday for a short ride on the road with my son, between rains..(too muddy to go off-road) and was so desperate for some challenging exercise I rode the whole 10k ride on my Kenevo with it switched off!!! ???

PSR1947

Mar 14, 2020
Epping Essex UK
It's not about carrying the virus and contaminating the hospital, the hospital is already full of contaminated people and a cyclist is not likely to be infected while out on a ride. It's about diverting medical resources to treat your cycling injury that should be used to treat people affected by COV19.

Anyway I will still go out for rides in the woods and nature because where I live has a very low population density and I will not do stupid stuff like cycle on tough trails or crazy downhills. There is a lot more to cycling than just thrill-seeking and it is just good to be out in nature riding along and enjoying the scenery with no-one else around.
Some of my best days out on a mtb have been x country. Anything from 20 to over 60 miles. Not looking too closely at the O/S map but more of following my nose and seeing where we end up.

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
Friend of mine had a "standard" injury from sports (not MTB) yesterday.
Went to hospital - This is what happened:

1. The guy immediately came in isolation
2. Test for virus before doctors could see him
3. Wait 6-7 hours for answer
4. Negativ result
5. Scanning
6. Treatment
7. Realesed from hospital

Please all be carefull as the world is a mess right now :cry:

Waynetta

E*POWAH Master
Feb 11, 2020
Plymouth Devon
I'm getting messages from my bike friends, if i'm riding my bike, should I, etc..?
And I said to them, roads, trails will be there in May, June.... Bike will wait for you, if you don't have indoor trainer.
If you are not a professional, what "damage" will it be, to just sit "this one" out and consider this as a extension of a winter break. You can do some house chores inside and outside, you can binge watch Netflix, etc.
Really don't understand, how we just can't leave the bikes for month or two.:unsure:
Only one problem, watch what you are eating, not to gain weight.... :censored: But as a see, one week in "quarantine", you eat less as you know, that going to the store will be a struggle, so you have to ration the food.
When you’ve had 3 months of rain and mud already and the trails start drying up there’s no way I’m staying off the bike. I’m not going to be touching any one or any thing but my handle bars.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Can I put my kenevo on there?

Can’t see any reason why you couldn’t.
The only issue I can see happening is you nicking people’s uphill KOM’s on Zwift like we do in real life on Strava and not changing it from ‘ride’ to ‘ebike ride’.
I can’t see anywhere where you can change this on Zwift so I can only presume what you record on the climbs will stay there :eek:. Obviously you won’t have much of chance on the flats or slightly uphill sections as you will run out of gearing unless you can fit a 40 tooth or above on the front.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Obviously you won’t have much of chance on the flats or slightly uphill sections as you will run out of gearing unless you can fit a 40 tooth or above on the front.

Sure, but derestricting is legal in my garage ?

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
The National Trust here in the U.K. has just opened up its parks and gardens so we can go and visit for free during the social distancing period, so I can’t really see a ban on cycling being put in place. For now.
Sadly even that didn't last
Published : 05 Mar 2020 Last update : 22 Mar 2020
The National Trust's latest statement on coronavirus (COVID-19).
UPDATED - 1.00pm on Sunday 22 March 2020
From Sunday 22 March, we've sadly taken the decision to close our parks and gardens, in addition to our houses, shops and cafés, to help restrict the spread of coronavirus.

Many of our car parks for countryside and coastal locations will also have to close due to high demand. We urge people to stay local and observe social distancing. Please do not travel.
Information on which National Trust outdoor places are open can be found at www.nationaltrust.org.uk

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Belton House, Grantham in Lincolnshire is 5-6 miles away from where I live and its a beautiful National Trust location set amongst extensive grounds (deer, waterfalls, ruins, mini railway, massive play area, cafes......and the House). One of the guys that lives in the same village as me is a NT manager. He said that they had a free open day on Saturday (yesterday). They were thinking that people could walk around the grounds with their families, in the fresh air, all keeping their distance. NT doing their bit etc. But thousands and thousands turned up and were all so jammed together, they had to restrict entry! Today it's closed!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles