STOLEN BIKE for awareness

Gw0175

Aug 30, 2020
Scotland
It's with a heavy heart that I write this post but finally my time has come to include myself in the ever increasing pool of bike theft victims.

It wasn't an ebike but my £9k Santa Cruz Bronson. I'm hoping I'm allowed to still post this for folks awareness.

Stolen from Fife, Scotland

Last night at 2130 hours my electric garage door was forced and my bike stolen. I live in a very small village in a cul-de-sac so absolutely know all my neighbours and that no person would've have known I had my bike in there.

Police were excellent in flooding the area but to no avail. Being a police officer myself, I don't hold much hope in ever seeing the bike again.

The only thing I can conclude is that the thieves have checked STRAVA as my rides were public and were able to view them to see where I started and stopped and assumed my bike must be showing at this location. STRAVA does not automatically hide or adjust your location settings and this needs to be manually done by the rider so please make sure your settings are super tight!!!

If you see the bike or parts for sale anywhere please let me know.

Thanks

Medium 2022 Santa Cruz Bronson in gold.
Gold Industry 9 Hydra hubs
Carbon NOBL wheels
Carbon Deity handlebar
Nukeproof pedals

PXL_20211218_130432219-01.jpeg

PXL_20211218_130353687.MP-01.jpeg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Beautiful bike that, Hope you get it back
Well, if the OP and his colleagues can't get it back, there is no hope for the rest of us!

I quote: "Police were excellent in flooding the area but to no avail. Being a police officer myself, I don't hold much hope in ever seeing the bike again. "

Bloody hell! If my bike got knicked from my garage, all I'd get would be a crime number for the insurance claim. I sure as hell would not get "police flooding the area". @Gw0175 Just jealous of your contacts mate, not slagging you off!

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
STRAVA does not automatically hide or adjust your location settings…make sure your settings are super tight!!!
It’s always difficult to hear about these events.
I’m private on Strava and I still hide my location with the settings. We had an issue in our neighborhood with porch-pirates so more cameras (door bells)were installed.
Our garage doors can easily be opened with a simple technique but almost impossible when a dead-bolt is used on a roll-up door.
90B178ED-8F6B-4BA3-872F-4E36F17A0AD0.jpeg
I installed this dead-bolt on my garage door and helped a few neighbours install theirs. $14 from Home Depot.
On some automatic garage door openers an electrical activated dead-bolt is available but the install is a bit more difficult, but it works. I used one of those on my previous home.
Motion sensors, motion activated lights or motion activated cameras may help. I’ve only been broken into once…it’s not a nice feeling.

Gw0175

Aug 30, 2020
Scotland
Well, if the OP and his colleagues can't get it back, there is no hope for the rest of us!

I quote: "Police were excellent in flooding the area but to no avail. Being a police officer myself, I don't hold much hope in ever seeing the bike again. "

Bloody hell! If my bike got knicked from my garage, all I'd get would be a crime number for the insurance claim. I sure as hell would not get "police flooding the area". @Gw0175 Just jealous of your contacts mate, not slagging you off!
Haha, when I say flooded, there was four cops. Up this way that is a lot!

Gw0175

Aug 30, 2020
Scotland
It’s always difficult to hear about these events.
I’m private on Strava and I still hide my location with the settings. We had an issue in our neighborhood with porch-pirates so more cameras (door bells)were installed.
Our garage doors can easily be opened with a simple technique but almost impossible when a dead-bolt is used on a roll-up door.
View attachment 96370
I installed this dead-bolt on my garage door and helped a few neighbours install theirs. $14 from Home Depot.
On some automatic garage door openers an electrical activated dead-bolt is available but the install is a bit more difficult, but it works. I used one of those on my previous home.
Motion sensors, motion activated lights or motion activated cameras may help. I’ve only been broken into once…it’s not a nice feeling.
Yeah I'll defo need to up the security. Initially I thought the electric fob system had been overwritten but now I'm of the opinion the lock was simply picked. Thanks for the reply!

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
You can set your strava so that it doesnt record your home address it starts and stops away from home location

After talking with my son was the first thing I did when installing Strava.

Yeah now I know this but too late. These settings should be the default and changed if required by the user

Agree with you.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Haha, when I say flooded, there was four cops. Up this way that is a lot!
If I saw four cops in one place, I'd assume there was a major crime happening, or Royalty visiting. I suspect that quite often on mid-week nights, there is no more than one police constable covering my nearest town and all the villages around it. That's about 50,000 people.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Wow! Nine grand for a push bike, reckon you've been robbed twice.
Helpful :rolleyes:

Good luck pal, when I had the local plod mark my bike, they told me they often recovered stolen bikes & as often as not would find it's one knobhead thief on a spree with thirty stolen bikes in their garden but had problems returning them to owners because they have no idea who owns what & so the best course is to add them to the bike register.

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
It's with a heavy heart that I write this post but finally my time has come to include myself in the ever increasing pool of bike theft victims.

It wasn't an ebike but my £9k Santa Cruz Bronson. I'm hoping I'm allowed to still post this for folks awareness.

Last night at 2130 hours my electric garage door was forced and my bike stolen. I live in a very small village in a cul-de-sac so absolutely know all my neighbours and that no person would've have known I had my bike in there.

Police were excellent in flooding the area but to no avail. Being a police officer myself, I don't hold much hope in ever seeing the bike again.

The only thing I can conclude is that the thieves have checked STRAVA as my rides were public and were able to view them to see where I started and stopped and assumed my bike must be showing at this location. STRAVA does not automatically hide or adjust your location settings and this needs to be manually done by the rider so please make sure your settings are super tight!!!

Thanks

Carbon NOBL wheels
Carbon Deity handlebar
Nukeproof pedals

View attachment 96367

View attachment 96368
That sucks. If you do need a replacement in a hurry my local guy (in Switzerland) was building one up a week in the same colour. mountainthrill.ch not sure of the size.

Gw0175

Aug 30, 2020
Scotland
Helpful :rolleyes:

Good luck pal, when I had the local plod mark my bike, they told me they often recovered stolen bikes & as often as not would find it's one knobhead thief on a spree with thirty stolen bikes in their garden but had problems returning them to owners because they have no idea who owns what & so the best course is to add them to the bike register.
Thanks for the kind words. I fully believe its been targeted by a professional group as everything was done so swiftly and quick.

I'll get it added to the reg asap.

Gw0175

Aug 30, 2020
Scotland
That sucks. If you do need a replacement in a hurry my local guy (in Switzerland) was building one up a week in the same colour. mountainthrill.ch not sure of the size.
Thanks pal. I'm not sure what my next move will be next. My local bike shop has some Fuel exE landing soon so I'll possibly hold out

Gw0175

Aug 30, 2020
Scotland
@Gw0175 I have my bike registered with immobilise.com. Do the UK Police ever look at it as a source to track down owners?

Quite possibly but I work in quite a rural area and unfortunately the majority of stolen bikes disappear into the big smoke never to be seen again.

It's something I'm going to look into and spread some awareness amongst my colleagues as this is now becoming a major issue that needs attention! The reason it doesn't get the focus it deserves is primarily due to the fact that people outwith the mtb world have no idea how much we actually pay for these things!

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
You may be able to get your homeowners insurance to cover it if your garage is connected to your house. I’ve went over my insurance with a fine tooth comb after getting paranoid. My bikes now live in one of my spare bedrooms, my garage isn’t connected to the house so they wouldn’t be covered on my insurance.

SteveTTT

Mar 15, 2022
Hampshire, UK
Gutted for you. A mate was burgled and his Giant Trance stolen, but luckily the scumbags got caught. Strava was the reason he was targeted. We all now have those privacy setting sorted out.

Gw0175

Aug 30, 2020
Scotland
Gutted for you. A mate was burgled and his Giant Trance stolen, but luckily the scumbags got caught. Strava was the reason he was targeted. We all now have those privacy setting sorted out.
Cheers for the kind words. Yeah I've come off it completely now. Prob overkill but I'm just not taking anymore chances!

SUBcyclist

Apr 9, 2021
NoCar, USA
I am sorry for your loss; that is such a great looking bike. I hope you have many great rides on it to reflect on.

"I'm hoping I'm allowed to still post this for folks awareness." - To this comment I will say that I think it is not only okay for you to have submitted your post, but we should appreciate it. This is a difficult lesson learned by you, that some terrible people will leverage Strava to hunt for bikes to steal; we should all learn from this. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Silver fox

Mar 21, 2021
Kelowna, B.C.

Thanks

Carbon NOBL wheels
Carbon Deity handlebar
Nukeproof pedals

View attachment 96367

View attachment 96368
I feel your hurt. Even though I also store my bike in a locked garage, I have installed a threaded “O” ring into my garage floor and anchor our bikes down with a massive chain and lock. That still won’t stop them, but will slow them down. Also have an array of motion sensors and cameras, as well as a very protective dog. Smith and Wesson will be my next backup.

SUBcyclist

Apr 9, 2021
NoCar, USA
I feel your hurt. Even though I also store my bike in a locked garage, I have installed a threaded “O” ring into my garage floor and anchor our bikes down with a massive chain and lock. That still won’t stop them, but will slow them down. Also have an array of motion sensors and cameras, as well as a very protective dog. Smith and Wesson will be my next backup.

Your very protective dog could be much more protective if...does Smith and Wesson offer paw friendly triggers?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles