Stolen bike Bradford

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
Had my 2020 Whyte E150-S stolen in Bradford last night, police are involved but I’m not holding out much hope. It’s quite a distinctive bike, gun metal grey, rear shock was upgraded to RockShox coil with a red coil fitted, 220mm Hope rotors, Spank Spike bars etc.
Just putting this out there on the off chance I get very lucky, they don’t have the charger so I’m not sure how they’ll shift it on.
Any ideas on Facebook groups or similar I can contact to put feelers out? I was going to email Leeds Bike Park as well and ask if they could keep an eye out.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Sorry to hear this. Bike thieves are sub human scum. I doubt the cops will do much of anything, I guess it depends what you want. If it's recovering the bike, then you can set up notification alerts on Facebook & Ebay, Gumtree etc. But if it does come up, are you willing to risk the confrontation? If it's insured might be best to claim & move on. It's not right that but may be the expedient path.

FWIW, mate of mine had two Spesh's worth £12k pinched. Spesh geolocated them to Manchester when one was swictched on & checked in with Spesh. They told the Police exactly where it was who in turn did nothing.

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
Thanks mate, I don’t think I will be able to claim on insurance as it happened away from home, I literally took my eye off it for a second and bang gone some scrote off down the road with it.
And yes, I’ll gladly confront them 🤬

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
I really hate seeing these stolen bike threads and they are way too frequent.

We all feel your pain Beezerk 😡.

And bike thievery won't get any better in the future. Here in the U.S. a bike thief knows at most he gets a slap on the wrist from our liberal ass judges who let the perps walk out the same day, even if they are caught and arrested.

Sadly, you could also be sitting at a traffic stop on the way to a trail or in the trail parking lot and someone can walk up to you and pull a knife or gun out and simply "take your bike" (I do have a canister of pepper spray on the handlebar but it's illegal in many countries or cities I'm told). But It's really not worth an injury or worse our lives to try and fight them off.

Of course we all know, the best thing to do is lock it up even if as you said you only took your eyes off it briefly. Get some type of insurance on your next bike. I pay $135 a year on a $6,700 ebike with replacement insurance. These Ebikes drop like a rock in value, so having an insurance company only give you 1/2 it's value would suck.

Lastly, we all like an ebike with bling and as you described yours the fancier the look, the more of a target it becomes. Mines black. I would have loved to get one in red or purple, but I know since I'm in a decent sized city it would not last long. Groups of thieves can follow you with a van and grab your bike at any time. Your only defense is getting insurance. I use a hidden Apple Airtag too, but I'm not about search it out myself if it's stolen and from waht I read in the threads most police won't bother to search for it either. I rent and even have a new Bing camera trained on it in my basement which sends an alerts to iphone and watch if anyone even walks near it.

Bike and accessory manufacturers don't care about protecting your bike either. I have the Bosch Nyon on it. When I remove it the motor is incapacited. But it does not lock the motor so a thief can sill ride away with it. Without locking the motor make it a useless feature. If the pedals were locked a thief would have a tough time trying to run with a 60 lb ebike. Bosche only cares about the $450 I paid them for the Nyon!

One sad story I read here or somewhere else was two ebikers parked in a lot drinking coffee in their van with their ebikes leaning up against the van and someone swiped one or both bikes while they were sitting there in the van!

Last edited:

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Thanks mate, I don’t think I will be able to claim on insurance as it happened away from home, I literally took my eye off it for a second and bang gone some scrote off down the road with it.
And yes, I’ll gladly confront them 🤬
you left it outside a shop or something?
I live in a really rough area known as one of the worst parts of the city lol... often wo nder when someone is going to try and attack me for my bike :D
I think I would risk getting stabbed and not give it up lol... I got a plan though anyone ever tries to rob me and I'ma tell them im off duty and can't be bothered spoiling my day off so get lost :ROFLMAO:

I'm not a cop but it will probably stunlock them whilst I ride into the wind

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I know this sounds crazy but a combination padlock (so didn't need to carry a key) which loops through the chainwheel and chain and physically prevents the bike from being ridden away would probably deter the opportunist thief.

Rotwilder

Apr 19, 2019
West Yorkshire
My sympathy to you. I live 25 miles away from Bradford but it’s rife everywhere. I have had various dreams of having my bike stolen, usually in a busy area; the relief on waking up is so good it makes me extra manic vigilant-even when I nip into the house after a ride it’s behind a locked gate but I still half expect it to have disappeared when I go back outside!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles