Spectral:ON coil shock?

Timochka69

Jan 31, 2018
Helsinki
Anyone done it?
Which models could fit?
I know 230x60mm metric is the shock size, but seems a tight fit between shock and the battery if there is external reservoir in shock. Most likely shock would need a progressive rate spring too.
Opinions?

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
Yea someone has, I definitely recall seeing a fox dhx2 fitted. And I think 230x65mm works too.

But yeas, a progressive spring is a must, this bike blows through the travel quick. I swapped my standard dps out for a dpx2 with a lot of volume spacers and it was a lot more poppy.

The other thing to watch is this bike sits low in its travel when pedaling. Unless I use the climb switch on long climbs my knees hurt from the super slack seat angle. Having a coil means no lockout.

Justchillin

Aug 28, 2018
Derby
B69CCEFB-BBF5-4063-B88A-516BC723B15A.jpeg
B69CCEFB-BBF5-4063-B88A-516BC723B15A.jpeg

Yes the dhx2 fits perfect and gone 230x65 once you get it set up there’s no bob peddling and loads of grip/plush,win win all the way

davemcc1248

Jan 1, 2020
northern ireland
I fitted marzocchi bomber cr 260mmx62.5mm big improvement over the air shock also fitted the coil conversion kit to the fox36 rythem forks can just blast throught anything now. Only problem i had was the water bottle rubbing on the spring so removed cage and soaked it in boiling water and bent it back refitted and bottle clears the spring.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
On the new one they don’t recommend

CAN I PUT A COIL SHOCK ON THIS THING?
No. We designed the Spectral:ON’s kinematics with the spring curve of an air shock in mind. Moreover, coil shocks are not ideal in designs that use clevis mount shock extensions and rockers. The forces transferred (in such a design) to the smaller-diameter damper shafts used in coil shocks is quite high and can lead to shock failures. Air-sprung shocks are better suited to this design because they utilize larger-diameter damper shafts that better withstand those forces and thereby increase shock life.

Rouckie

Jun 9, 2020
Belgium
On the new one they don’t recommend

Still, it feels very good. In regards of the clevis mount: commencal, specialized... They all sell bikes with coil shocks and the same type of mounting...

The voz

Jun 17, 2020
Cornwall
Thinking about DVO jade. Any new thoughts about the setup? Have you liked it compared to air?

Few questions: What size, 230x? What kind of a spring are you using? What mounting hardware is needed if any? Any issues with mounting/fitting?
You need a 230 x65 I fitted a fox dhx2 I had a 500 spring and weigh 74 kg fitting wad straight swap that with 170 mm forks up front makes it a different beast cracking to ride

Jayhay

Sep 27, 2020
Woods
You need a 230 x65 I fitted a fox dhx2 I had a 500 spring and weigh 74 kg fitting wad straight swap that with 170 mm forks up front makes it a different beast cracking to ride
Ok good to know, thanks for the info.. going 170 in the front as well.. thinking about cane creek 450-550 progressive spring for the shock.. im about same weight as you. Bomber cr (fox van rc), dvo jade are top of the (budget) list right now.

The voz

Jun 17, 2020
Cornwall
The bomber shaft is alloy might not stand up to ebike jd suspension do a spring calculation for £5 they said 475 for me but I’ve had 500 and 550 the 500 is quite soft (springy ) ?compress really well for jumps

DecoyD

Mar 2, 2020
USA
What size fox hardware would I need for the front shock mount. I found out it’s a M8 bolt, but, no details on hardware spacer size.

The voz

Jun 17, 2020
Cornwall
Anyone done it?
Which models could fit?
I know 230x60mm metric is the shock size, but seems a tight fit between shock and the battery if there is external reservoir in shock. Most likely shock would need a progressive rate spring too.
Opinions?
yes mate fitted a fox dhx2 230x 65 to my al spectral on pics on this thread black bike you’ll love it just used 450spring I weigh 73 kg

gofrank

Jun 14, 2019
palermo
[QUOTE = "NichlasLindHolgersen, post: 262348, membro: 15463"]
Domani proverò il mio dhx2, ho bisogno di spazio per il 630wh il mese prossimo
View attachment 52270 View attachment 52271 View attachment 52272
[/CITAZIONE]
ciao , volevo chiederti come sei riuscito ha montare il fox al contrario , io nella mia non riesco poichè l'attacco della forchetta del carro non coincide con l'anello del mono.Ti sei servito di qualche modifica o adattatore?

Timochka69

Jan 31, 2018
Helsinki
Nice love to hear your feed back after some testing. ??

So, I upgraded my FOX 36 Rhythm to coil, using Marzocchi parts. Went up to 170 mm travel too, which may be a bit too much, really.

The fork is surprisingly progressive, the design traps air into lowers that act as an air spring, giving some progressivity. I have yet to bottom out the fork, but then again I do not get much air, I pretty much only ride natural trails. Small drops.

The upgrade is easy to do and parts are cheap. I can recommend it if you want the fork to feel more supple in chattery terrain. I have positive experiences on rooty trails. If you mainly ride bike parks and other places with man made jumps, your mileage may vary.

maurocif

Nov 3, 2020
Rome
Im going to test my dhx2 tomorrow, need space for the 630wh next month

Hi, in the hope to increase the performance of the rear end I'm very tempted to replace the standard air shock with a dhx2 as you did. Are you satisfied with this variation? Does dhx2 works flawless with the 630 wh battery? Did you use some spacer/tool to install dhx2 as you did? Thanks a lot! ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles