Levo Gen 2 Specialized-Bashing -- Give-it-a-Break

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
Jeez - Some of us are actually happy with our e-MTBs :eek: Anyone saying anything pro-Specialized gets kicked in the nuts ..

Best reason I can find for not buying a Specialized e-MTB is that it that seems to be mandatory to be a miserable bar steward, as everything is ½ empty and nothing is ever right. I dread seeing a Levo or Kenevo owner when Im on my bike as all they'll want to talk about is their latest issue / problem and how if only they had bought Brand X .. you know the folks you want to avoid when you see Brits on holiday abroad and all they want its egg and chips ..

Levo Turbo owners seem to be the most miserable unhappy people around -- even in these shitty times. Every thread has folks crawling out saying " ah but .. "

Come on folks; if its too expensive, too unreliable, too 'not-available yet', too gaudy, too long, too short, too fecked-up then buy a Kia and resume your personalised hand-cranking 'cos this is tiresome. Get a Life.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
I post on a Ford Mustang forum and it's the same: every engine/xmsn/suspension has a death rattle and we are lucky to make it home even though millions of these engines are out there running every day without problems. Then some posters install aftermarket parts to "fix" the problem only to create more problems. Then they post "help, my car has all these problems...".

I ride my Levo SL with two Vados and a Como. Not to jinx it, in thousands of miles we have had no significant (bike-stopping) failures. No, the bikes are not perfect (my brakes squeal like those on a school bus) but we are happy with them.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Sep 19, just shy of 7000km, no major issues. All I'm saying. Grabbing bit of wood as I press [POST REPLY].

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
"I dread seeing a Levo or Kenevo owner when Im on my bike as all they'll want to talk about is their latest issue / problem and how if only they had bought Brand X "
If I see another Decoy owner out there, I go chasing after them as I know we'll have a great chat about the bikes. Never heard a bad word said. The only bad words I hear are from others who pass by saying "wish those bikes were in stock!".

Denpot29

Sep 27, 2020
Crawley
Purchased my 2020 Levo turbo last September, absolutely love riding it, thank god for Berkshire turbo cycles being within 1 hour with their top class service as I’m on my 3rd motor already, which has just started a faint new noise today. Love it and a great bike but motor reliability is shite.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
meh, mostly theres a great deal of whine about prices.. cos they poor, like me

1733-whaambulance.jpg

richysgc

Nov 9, 2020
Sunderland
I have no regrets about buying my kenevo, best thing ive bought mysef for years, way i see it these things are put through punishment on every ride and noise, squeeks, and breaks are part of owning an ebike, just got to get on with it and enjoy the ride!

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Purchased my 2020 Levo turbo last September, absolutely love riding it, thank god for Berkshire turbo cycles being within 1 hour with their top class service as I’m on my 3rd motor already, which has just started a faint new noise today. Love it and a great bike but motor reliability is shite.

If mine was on its 3rd motor I might have a different opinion of Specialized. The Brose motor in Vados and Comos does not seem to have a problem with belt breakage or other Levo issues even though it is rated for the same power/torque.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Love my 2020 levo comp. best thing I’ve bought myself.

had a great few hours away from the real world this afternoon and lots planned this year on it ??

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I’ve had two Kenevo’s and my current SL and I love them all to bits. Ridden a few other brands and enjoyed them but they just weren’t for me. They have also had more issues than I or my brother (Kenevo) have had so I don’t know why people think it’s only Specialized that have issues.
I feel like the majority of bashers either just can’t afford them or they’re just bored with their lives and need some attention.

It’s a sad person that feels the need to bag out another persons choice of ride on a oublic forum. Complain about your own issues, sure but to go out of your way to type insults is just pathetic.

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
If they’re that good, why are there so many negative posts about them?

I‘d happily have one, the price is irrelevant, but I don’t want to waste time taking it back to the shop regularly.

Sep 19, 2020
Squamish, BC, Canada
I’m on my 5th motor on my 2019 carbon comp Levo and still think it’s an amazing bike. I’ve got a 2022 Levo pro on order, which I’m very excited for, and will be getting a good resale price on the 2019 thanks to the 4 year warranty.

No complaints over here. Warranty was always quick and easy, somehow even quicker during the pandemic.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
If they’re that good, why are there so many negative posts about them?

I‘d happily have one, the price is irrelevant, but I don’t want to waste time taking it back to the shop regularly.
Because why would you come on a forum and tell people how many problems you haven’t had? I’ve just clicked over 2000km’s of mostly hard riding on my SL and not a single issue yet. The forum is a place where people come for information. If you have an issue you ask questions.
Most people are out riding there bikes without any issues at all and the fact people with multiple issues keep buying their bikes should tell you something.
Don’t always listen to the haters, if you like the bike then buy it. They have great customer care and warranty. If you still can’t bring yourself to “risk” a purchase go buy another bike.
Out of my ebike group the Specialzied bikes have been the most reliable. Could be the way we ride them, could be just pure luck. All I know is for the last 3 years I have been nothing but smiles.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
I'm not a current Specialized owner and the brand is pretty much irrelevant to me but I think the bashing is a mix of things.
Specialized's marketing is/can be annoying AF and many times full of BS not just about the Levo/Kenevo but in general. Everything they do is the best thing after a slice of bread even if it's the opposite what they stood for in a previous model cycle. Now, the new Levo motor is better than ever with the upgraded belt (I thought they've already fixed it) and the mixed wheel size is revolutionary. The new Levo looks awesome no question about it but the prices are just plain crazy. I'd never buy one because my preference is 'value for money' but the problem with their sickening prices is that the rest will follow them and the bike prices will make a big step up just because 'we can'.
Some of the owners are also a reason for the 'bashing' because they have the 'I am Specialized' attitude. Even if they are on the third/fourth motor and missed a season worth of riding waiting for the replacement (no Berkshire turbo cycles in every corner) their bike is still the best thing after a slice of bread.
They justify the price and say it's not even more expensive than any other brand and you just have to upgrade the fork, the shock, the brakes the dropper... With the new Levo, it will be a little bit harder to justify the prices.

These are just my observations, opinion and I reserve the right to be wrong. :)

I don't care about who rides what I'm still rocking my 2018 Commencal Meta Power. It takes the abuse, absolutely problem free and so far I couldn't find a bike that rides better and worth the money to upgrade.

Andy__C

Apr 11, 2020
South Wales
2019 Expert owner... never had any trouble that wasn't my own doing with the bike. Not sure how many KM, less than @KennyB 's 7000km though - impressive. (I do get injured a lot though.... broken arm, damaged wrist ligaments, a few concussions during my Levo tenure! :D ).

I do get a bit bummed out with the Levo negativity on the forum.... sometimes it causes me to question my own ride.... then I have a break from reading the neg, remember to focus on my own experience and the world is a better place ?

Most owners I meet on the trails though are all positive, quite a few have had motor changes but mostly all happy to be out riding.

Without any exaggeration it's my best purchase in the last 10 years (not including the engagement/wedding ring, if the wife reads this ? ) ?

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
Because why would you come on a forum and tell people how many problems you haven’t had? I’ve just clicked over 2000km’s of mostly hard riding on my SL and not a single issue yet. The forum is a place where people come for information. If you have an issue you ask questions.
Most people are out riding there bikes without any issues at all and the fact people with multiple issues keep buying their bikes should tell you something.
Don’t always listen to the haters, if you like the bike then buy it. They have great customer care and warranty. If you still can’t bring yourself to “risk” a purchase go buy another bike.
Out of my ebike group the Specialzied bikes have been the most reliable. Could be the way we ride them, could be just pure luck. All I know is for the last 3 years I have been nothing but smiles.

All good points. My current bike wont be going anywhere for a while, but when it’s time to change, I’ll take another look at the Levo. I’ve had regular Specialized mountain bikes in the past, and loved them, so am a fan of the brand.

Kiwibloke

Feb 27, 2021
Kent
Love my Levo, the thing is with a lot of forum's is people find them while looking for a fix to a problem, they then join and a lot of posts are about faults and searching for an answer, people then forget about posting good positive posts and the forum just becomes a moaning place and I'm sure we don't want that to happen here.

gaba

Dec 31, 2018
California
Flew past a giant ebike owner on a climb the other day. When he got up to the top where I had stopped and was talking to my friends he pulls up to me and warns me not to ride my bike so hard, I would ruin the motor. I laughed so hard. It’s a 2019. Sure I went through a couple motors early on but I’ve been hammering my Levo since the latest upgrade with zero issues. I don’t worry at all either because if the motor goes I’ll have a replacement free of charge within a week. To each their own. My bike is dialed. Who cares what anyone else rides. Like my dad used to say, if you don’t have anything positive to say, shut it.

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Whickham, Newcastle upon Tyne
I love my Specialized Kenevo 2019, it's amazing! But I hate when the motor has to be replaced to fix a worn out crank bearing each year. Can't believe the latest Levo Gen3? still has a Brose motor and the prices are outrageous! I paid £3600 for my Kenevo in Nov 2018 now they're £5500??? That's 50% increase in 2.5 years! I'm glad I got one when I did. There are no signs of "Specialized" technology getting cheaper with age! The problem is there is no definitive way to determine which, if any, other bikes are more reliable. Specialized is very popular on this forum so there is a perception that they're less reliable. All the shops I've talked to say from their point of view that all makes of EMTBs have problems. So for me warranty is key in any new purchase. Mine is now out of its warranty so I will be paying for any future motor work/replacement. But I'm hooked and I still think it's one of the best - when it's working!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles