Levo Gen 2 Specialized-Bashing -- Give-it-a-Break

maxx

Dec 17, 2020
1.- I ride with a group of 8 riders: 2 Specialized (one is mine, with 10000 Km) with Brose motor, and 6 different bike brands: 1 Yamaha motor and 5 Bosch motors. All bikes were purchased in 2019. All 5 Bosch motors have already been replaced due to bearing problems. The Yamaha motor starts to make a suspicious noise. The Brose motors, still intact.
2.- Last week I did a 113 km tour with 3000 meters ascent. Thanks to the BLEvo app I used 77% of my 700W battery (now it only has 670W). None of my coleagues can do this.
3.- I love my Turbo Levo!

Darcy

Nov 23, 2018
Watford
2019 sworks levo. over 10k on it now and apart from normal wear and tear items, chains, cassette I am happier than anything other than right at this moment. Its in the shop waiting for fork and shock service taking a month due to demand and parts supply. On the analogue stumpy which is fine but miss my lady ha ha. They sell way more than others so get more attention and had some issues but their service by my books is great and updated warranty is better than most if not all so all good.

J200George

Jun 14, 2020
Glasgow United Kingdom
The negativity has certainly put me off buying one for the moment.

I doubt I’ll ride enough to justify an Sworks or a carbon and tbh £6k is kind of pushing it. Not from a budget POV because sure I can afford it but I’d feel a bit guilty if it were going to be sat in the garage more often than not. Just do t have enough time for me in my life at present.

so I’m looking I think for a second hand one that’s had the very latest motor and been treated well.

most likely there will be the remainder of the spesh warranty but before I buy I’d also like to get a handle on out of warranty costs. The 700w battery is what £1000? How much for a motor?

if the gen3 bikes however prove reliable and by that I mean all the show stoppers have gone then who knows perhaps I’ll just splash the cash. So I sits and waits for the right bike.

all flawed of course and the logic could be challenged but it’s where my head is at for the moment.

Reactions: EME

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
From my perspective, its irrelevant as to the brand you bash as it always comes down to maintenance.
I'm not exactly rocking the newest latest and greatest from Specialized (except my Status), but even my 2018 Levo Comp still tears through the trails after 2000miles on the motor with no issues or errors.
Yes, Spesh aren't cheap at times but they know how to make a long lasting platform which is future proof for a good years.
But I imagine the same is true for a lot of other brands.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Hey all,
New here. I picked up my 2021 Levo Comp in September.

PS. I love this bike!
Not every one is negative ...

Reactions: EME

Dod Colony

Sep 28, 2020
Scotland
It is pish when you've spent the best part of £8K on a 2021 "all improved" bike that lasts less than 300 miles. And those are the easiest miles imaginable, she rides high cadence and mostly eco and is chuffed bumping kerbs FFS. This is the least abused expert out there but it is feked, LBS not sure if it's battery, wiring loom or TCD ( we just have to wait ) but none of these parts are available for weeks apparently.

Fair enough global trade is challenging but still no offer of any courtesy bike or any kind of compensation? Any shitty car dealer would have beat this 'customer service' hands down.

Total joke, I love the look of the Gen3 Levo but I'll never buy Specialized again.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
It is pish when you've spent the best part of £8K on a 2021 "all improved" bike that lasts less than 300 miles. And those are the easiest miles imaginable, she rides high cadence and mostly eco and is chuffed bumping kerbs FFS. This is the least abused expert out there but it is feked, LBS not sure if it's battery, wiring loom or TCD ( we just have to wait ) but none of these parts are available for weeks apparently.

Fair enough global trade is challenging but still no offer of any courtesy bike or any kind of compensation? Any shitty car dealer would have beat this 'customer service' hands down.

Total joke, I love the look of the Gen3 Levo but I'll never buy Specialized again.
guy I was riding with on a recent vid had the same, bike had done almost nothing in the way of work but had been trouble since day one. He had bought it from Don Skene though and when he took it back (again) they didnt mess about, they replaced motor, battery, loom and TCU..
this is the way to do it..

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I can't believe they've not sorted that out yet. Did you ever try swapping your batteries ? I know you were a bit reluctant to mess about.

It's either motor, cable, battery, tcu, switch problem. Could be time for the BAT SIGNAL ! @Specialized Rider Care

Dustjunky

Nov 11, 2020
Derby
Jeez - Some of us are actually happy with our e-MTBs :eek: Anyone saying anything pro-Specialized gets kicked in the nuts ..

Best reason I can find for not buying a Specialized e-MTB is that it that seems to be mandatory to be a miserable bar steward, as everything is ½ empty and nothing is ever right. I dread seeing a Levo or Kenevo owner when Im on my bike as all they'll want to talk about is their latest issue / problem and how if only they had bought Brand X .. you know the folks you want to avoid when you see Brits on holiday abroad and all they want its egg and chips ..

Levo Turbo owners seem to be the most miserable unhappy people around -- even in these shitty times. Every thread has folks crawling out saying " ah but .. "

Come on folks; if its too expensive, too unreliable, too 'not-available yet', too gaudy, too long, too short, too fecked-up then buy a Kia and resume your personalised hand-cranking 'cos this is tiresome. Get a Life.
Bang on mate ..well said ?

Dod Colony

Sep 28, 2020
Scotland
guy I was riding with on a recent vid had the same, bike had done almost nothing in the way of work but had been trouble since day one. He had bought it from Don Skene though and when he took it back (again) they didnt mess about, they replaced motor, battery, loom and TCU..
this is the way to do it..

That's proper service but unfortunately I bought the problem one online from the Concept store purely because my LBS couldn't source one (lesson learned there!). Not easy to get it back to original seller so it's with my local Specialized dealer at the moment. Maybe I'm being naive but I'd still like to think it'll get the proper attention regardless of where I bought it, that's the theory anyway.
Thankfully I bought mine from the locals, had to wait a few months for it though.

Dod Colony

Sep 28, 2020
Scotland
I can't believe they've not sorted that out yet. Did you ever try swapping your batteries ? I know you were a bit reluctant to mess about.

It's either motor, cable, battery, tcu, switch problem. Could be time for the BAT SIGNAL ! @Specialized Rider Care

I was convinced it was the battery, a few other posters had the same symptoms and a new battery was the fix. I thought about swapping batteries but decided not to in case the faulty battery did something to the good bike or the bad bike feked the good battery.
The battery is OK apparently which is weird, I had it out the bike, it wouldn't charge and displayed a flashing 3rd and solid 4th led.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I was convinced it was the battery, a few other posters had the same symptoms and a new battery was the fix. I thought about swapping batteries but decided not to in case the faulty battery did something to the good bike or the bad bike feked the good battery.
The battery is OK apparently which is weird, I had it out the bike, it wouldn't charge and displayed a flashing 3rd and solid 4th led.
Seems a bit strange that the battery is "OK" - if it wouldn't charge .... ?!? Well, if SRC does read this, it's all more pointers towards a hopefully successful resolution ! :)

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
The negativity has certainly put me off buying one for the moment.

I doubt I’ll ride enough to justify an Sworks or a carbon and tbh £6k is kind of pushing it. Not from a budget POV because sure I can afford it but I’d feel a bit guilty if it were going to be sat in the garage more often than not. Just do t have enough time for me in my life at present.

so I’m looking I think for a second hand one that’s had the very latest motor and been treated well.

most likely there will be the remainder of the spesh warranty but before I buy I’d also like to get a handle on out of warranty costs. The 700w battery is what £1000? How much for a motor?

if the gen3 bikes however prove reliable and by that I mean all the show stoppers have gone then who knows perhaps I’ll just splash the cash. So I sits and waits for the right bike.

all flawed of course and the logic could be challenged but it’s where my head is at for the moment.

2nd hand warranty requires proof of original sale and receipt from your purchase 2nd hand .
+ Serial number of the bike . Generally you will pay for labour , but Spesh will replace the parts .

TPEHAK

Nov 23, 2020
USA Seattle WA
Here is a good question for you all. Would you buy a Specialized ebike online if you would not have a local Specialized dealer? Another words would you buy a Specialized ebike without warranty?

I would not.

But I did buy another brand ebike online from dealer on another side of the country, a Haibike with Yamaha motor. Basically if something serious will happen with my ebike like motor failure I will have paperweight on my hands. But I did my research prior doing this expensive and risky purchase, I bought this particular brand with this particular motor because of it has the best record and the least risk of this situation. I would not buy Specialized online thou because of it has horrible record and I do not want to take this risk.

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
@TPEHAK This is a matter of personal choice isnt it?

I wouldn't buy any brand of e-MTB online without LBS support.

However, I have seen no concrete evidence other than heresay that any brand of motor nor manufacturer is any better or worse than any other by any significant margin. Neither does it surprise me that the evolving market for e-bike motors and power systems have problems , especially with e-MTBs .

In fact the nature of what they are used for makes it a nailed-on certainty in my opinion.

What we do see is that Specialized are the most popular make of e-bike. That hopefully means that they invest more in resolving issues than others. It also possibly means that it has the most extensive support system ( size does matter) and appear to have a good reputation in the MTB arena generally. Other brands may well be just as good or have outstanding customer support. I just do not know and I appreciate I generalise here.

Do folks have problems ? Yes -- and it is to be hoped that the Specialized support system picks them up? . Yes., it is good to hear about their awful experiences and understand what potential problems are. We benefit from their experiences in terms of recognising and resolving issues.

Of course we all feel for the exceptions who have serious, and in some cases repeat problems, although I was shocked at least one of the 'continuous' complainers being exposed by @Zimmerframe as a self-confessed committed de-restrictor . WTF is that about ? If you abuse the warranty conditions so blatantly and then try and claim that is fraudulent.

I suspect that people are using this forum to make 'noise' purely because they know that SRC try and support the forum's members ( other manufacturers may, but I have seen zero evidence of that). If I were Rob Id be trying to think of ways to stop that 'cos its going to drive the occasional enjoyer of these forums ( and even SRC's support, horror-of-horrors) away as soon as it becomes disproportionate to the real issues.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
Here is a good question for you all. Would you buy a Specialized ebike online if you would not have a local Specialized dealer? Another words would you buy a Specialized ebike without warranty?

I would not.

But I did buy another brand ebike online from dealer on another side of the country, a Haibike with Yamaha motor. Basically if something serious will happen with my ebike like motor failure I will have paperweight on my hands. But I did my research prior doing this expensive and risky purchase, I bought this particular brand with this particular motor because of it has the best record and the least risk of this situation. I would not buy Specialized online thou because of it has horrible record and I do not want to take this risk.

Because of Performance Line Bearings, I wouldn't be as concerned about buying a used ebike now. Cost of repair/service is no longer prohibitive. Have never bought a bike online, don't think I would consider it personally. I *think* it's a given that the 19-20 spesh bikes have had serious reliability issues. But where is there actual data available comparing reliability of different brands?

willeco

Jul 28, 2020
Halle
After owning a Giant Trance e2+ Pro for over a year that had so many flaws and issues, I have now a Levo Comp 2021. Couldn't be happier. Only done 1900 km so far (over half of it in wet/muddy conditions) but no (literally NO) issues so far. Motor is very quiet, delivers power when I want it, as much as I want, gears, brakes, seatpost, fork, damper, wheels, etc... all perfect. I hope it stays that way.

Dod Colony

Sep 28, 2020
Scotland

Seems a bit strange that the battery is "OK" - if it wouldn't charge .... ?!? Well, if SRC does read this, it's all more pointers towards a hopefully successful resolution ! :)

Well, after about a month at the LBS turns out it is the battery after all!! Bearing in mind I told them this on day one maybe they should give me a job in diagnostics?

Waiting on Specialized giving the nod for a new bat now so, at this rate, should hopefully have it back by July!

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Circa 2400 miles now on original motor. 2020 Levo.

Motor getting a bit noisy now when hot but nothing I'm worried about. Only problem I've had is the power cable was faulty, Berkshire Bikes replaced it under warranty in 40 minutes and back to normal.

The bike has been through virtually everything including a small lake on one of the local trails that appeared over night, no issues where as three mates with Bosch motors all had weird noises afterwards which haven't stopped months later.

Awesome bike!

..and contrary to popular belief, I meet loads of Levo/Kenevo riders all over the place on the trails. Everyone has been a great laugh, good fun and never moaned about their bikes once. The only downside is once you get chatting, usually someone says something like "I'm off down this EASY trail, I'll show you the way if you like" which normally results in plowing down a quadruple double super black trail without prep. The grin at the end though - priceless.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Can't believe the number of people in this thread who have had three motors installed under warranty and are still very happy about it. I have to pay $140 labor to install every new motor at my wonderful LBS who really takes care of me, and just had my third motor installed 2 days ago. Guess what, it was defective on the very first ride yesterday, with 100% power surges lasting five seconds or longer in turbo that I had to stop by slamming on the brakes. Stopped on my way home to let lbs know about this and asked to have another motor sent but I will refuse to pay the labor for installation.
Do you folks not have to pay labor for every motor that gets installed under warranty? Why is it some of us have to pay? That's a chunk of change that I've now paid three times for US $420. I seem to remember some people don't pay for the labor charges and was wondering why there is a difference if anybody can answer?

Dod Colony

Sep 28, 2020
Scotland
Can't believe the number of people in this thread who have had three motors installed under warranty and are still very happy about it. I have to pay $140 labor to install every new motor at my wonderful LBS who really takes care of me, and just had my third motor installed 2 days ago. Guess what, it was defective on the very first ride yesterday, with 100% power surges lasting five seconds or longer in turbo that I had to stop by slamming on the brakes. Stopped on my way home to let lbs know about this and asked to have another motor sent but I will refuse to pay the labor for installation.
Do you folks not have to pay labor for every motor that gets installed under warranty? Why is it some of us have to pay? That's a chunk of change that I've now paid three times for US $420. I seem to remember some people don't pay for the labor charges and was wondering why there is a difference if anybody can answer?

Labour charges should be covered by the warranty, sounds like your LBS might be getting paid twice?

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
Labour charges should be covered by the warranty, sounds like your LBS might be getting paid twice?
Sorry, disagree,

Warranty will be specific. May or may not include labo(u)r . There just will not be standards world-wide

1Nixxxo

Nov 29, 2019
Russia
Love my custom 2021 Levo.
Already seen three errors, learned how to kickstart it without power button while moving it rearward fast :D
But still it's a super ebike! Had Merida eOne-Sixty 2019 and it was very good, tried different ebikes including 2021 Merida and Moterra, but Levo is a clear winner in all departments except reliability.

As for error codes and other stuff: I created DIY power cable-to-battry neoprene protector, filled gaps with moto-foam, installed Central coast fender, ordered specific protector to cover that awful gap between the chainstay and the main triangle, ordered all harnesses, so now I'm prepared for those "Oh, f*** it doesn't work!" situations.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Yeah, my riding buddy and best friend owns my LBS and he would never cheat me. Specialized pay's labor for some LBS is but not all. I think I remember him saying it has to do with the volume of sales of specialized bikes and goods. We are in a small rural town with low volume sales and I don't think he qualifies. Just my luck.

Dod Colony

Sep 28, 2020
Scotland
Well, after about a month at the LBS turns out it is the battery after all!! Bearing in mind I told them this on day one maybe they should give me a job in diagnostics?

Waiting on Specialized giving the nod for a new bat now so, at this rate, should hopefully have it back by July!

It's home, brand new battery fitted. Got soaked on the way back and just made it on the 20% charge but all seems good, will be even better when they track down my battery charger:oops:.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I love my 2018 Kenevo. I think it fits in between the current Kenevo and Levo. It does everything I need and has got me out of trouble on many an occasion. I am on my second motor but the old one did not give up on me but started to make a clicking noise when hot, which may have been a precursor to failure. It seems that the 2.1 motors were less prone to failure than the one that replaced it. I like the fact that it is almost silent both uphill and downhill and the important things like geometry, suspension and brakes all work well. Apart from a bigger battery, I can’t think of anything I can improve. I’ve changed tyres and gone for 2.6 instead of 2.8 on the front and changed front disc to 220mm. It is now well out of warranty so if motor goes I’ll ask bearing man to fix it, so I should get a good few more years out of it yet.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles