Anyone else breaking Roval hubs?

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
I've blown up two rear hubs so far on my 2019 Levo expert. The steel ring the pawls engage with strips out of the aluminum hub and spins. Both times it was on steep rocky climbs and they resulted in a walk of shame back to my car!
My LBS was fantastic about it and I know I'll be well taken care of but they've never seen this before.

I believe the hubs are DT Swiss. Anyone else having this issue?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I've blown up two rear hubs so far on my 2019 Levo expert. The steel ring the pawls engage with strips out of the aluminum hub and spins. Both times it was on steep rocky climbs and they resulted in a walk of shame back to my car!
My LBS was fantastic about it and I know I'll be well taken care of but they've never seen this before.

I believe the hubs are DT Swiss. Anyone else having this issue?

There have been a couple of posts about the stock hubs being no good for some people, I think they'd eventually had the LBS swap the hubs out for better ones...

Levo damaged freehub and seized wheel bearing - EMTB Forums

royal wheels are crap - EMTB Forums

I just snapped my Levo rear hub axle R120 - EMTB Forums

Utah Rider

Jul 4, 2019
Utah
My rear axle broke at 3200 miles/ 5150km on my Roval hoops. I consider that acceptable for the weight of the bike and rider plus torque. It was $100 to repair. I had custom carbon wheels made with DT Swiss 350 hubs. So far they have 1200 miles/1931km on them with no problems. I mounted studded tires on the old Roval rims for winter riding.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles