Levo Gen 2 Anyone else regretting not getting the SL

danf72

Jun 18, 2020
Berkshire
Just interested if anyone else regretted buying the Full FatLevo rather than going for the SL.
I guess I found out the hard way. Kind of got caught up in the first new EMTB purchase excitement. My local bike shop pursued me to go FF but it didn’t take long before I realised It was the wrong choice. I’ve ridden MTBs for 15 years mostly XC and trail. The FF is way more powerful than I was expecting or need. I’m running around in eco 90% of the time as riding with non EMTBs. I guess I was after something to help up the hills rather than getting extra boost for more downhills. My days of “sending it” seem to be long behind me. ?

anyway at least I have had the pleasure of getting into EMTB and hopefully will be back with the right bike soon.

listed mine on the site if anyone is interested.

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
Like everything else, it depends...
I bought a 2019 Levo SWorks - the SL did not exist at that time.
Since I also drive 80% Eco, I was very interested in the SL. I had already pre-ordered a SWorks, but was able to test an SL over a weekend. And then I realized that I had to do too much on my own to reach a reasonable range and elevation-gain. So I did not take the SL and I don't regret it.
I ride my Levo 2019: Eco with 10/30, Trail with 20/60 and Turbo with 60/100. With that I can go "endlessly far" and have enough reserves for hard climbs.
Before you buy the SL, ride it for a few days!

danf72

Jun 18, 2020
Berkshire
Like everything else, it depends...
I bought a 2019 Levo SWorks - the SL did not exist at that time.
Since I also drive 80% Eco, I was very interested in the SL. I had already pre-ordered a SWorks, but was able to test an SL over a weekend. And then I realized that I had to do too much on my own to reach a reasonable range and elevation-gain. So I did not take the SL and I don't regret it.
I ride my Levo 2019: Eco with 10/30, Trail with 20/60 and Turbo with 60/100. With that I can go "endlessly far" and have enough reserves for hard climbs.
Before you buy the SL, ride it for a few days!
That’s exactly what I’m going to do next time. I’m normally quite sensible. I think I tried around 10 enduro MTBs before buying my last bike. I hadn’t even tried the Levo. Just had 30 mins on a Merida 8000 and loved it. After some research I based my Levo purchase on the LBS and warranty turnaround. Not the most sensible admittedly.

FunkeyMunky

Jun 13, 2020
Denmark
I got to try a few full powered eMTBs from my LBS. I had such a blast, felt like a kid again. Decided to sell all my analog bike first before getting an eMTB. Decided to get a Levo, but would wait the weekend to get the last bike sold. Come Monday morning I head up to the shop with money to burn. Then the shop told me they had a burglary over the weekend and only my bike was stolen. I was super bummed out. I scourged the market (DK) for ah alternative but nothing available in my size. Bummer. Another LBS with connections to Spech could see the Levo SL on stock, albeit only in the Expert Edition. I went for it and am super happy. Feel a little weird getting a bike which costs 10 times more than my first car, but hey I’m an adult I can do whatever I want. So happy ?

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Just interested if anyone else regretted buying the Full FatLevo rather than going for the SL.
I guess I found out the hard way. Kind of got caught up in the first new EMTB purchase excitement. My local bike shop pursued me to go FF but it didn’t take long before I realised It was the wrong choice. I’ve ridden MTBs for 15 years mostly XC and trail. The FF is way more powerful than I was expecting or need. I’m running around in eco 90% of the time as riding with non EMTBs. I guess I was after something to help up the hills rather than getting extra boost for more downhills. My days of “sending it” seem to be long behind me. ?

anyway at least I have had the pleasure of getting into EMTB and hopefully will be back with the right bike soon.

listed mine on the site if anyone is interested.

For me nope, I've ridden the Levo and the SL many times. The SL is way more nimble but that for me is the reason why not - I realised that I'm actually a pretty crap rider in terms of skill so the ability to plough through things instead of having to pick lines plus the thrill of riding up a hill at 20 odd mph and jumping on the way up...

The bikes I've tested, above, were both derestricted which removed the treacle feeling of the FF Levo.

danf72

Jun 18, 2020
Berkshire
For me nope, I've ridden the Levo and the SL many times. The SL is way more nimble but that for me is the reason why not - I realised that I'm actually a pretty crap rider in terms of skill so the ability to plough through things instead of having to pick lines plus the thrill of riding up a hill at 20 odd mph and jumping on the way up...

The bikes I've tested, above, were both derestricted which removed the treacle feeling of the FF Levo.

For me it’s the lack of nimbleness that I miss. My current analogue bikes feel so nimble but still plough when needed. I’m finding that to make the Levo move around ,pop, you have to put in so much effort. Lots of lower back use which is not great for me having suffered lower back issues for many years.

My only other thought was to swap out all the standard components with my current Enduro which I built to a very light spec. I’m pretty sure I can get the weight down to sub 20kg which may make all the difference. Will see if there is any interest in the bike before I decide which route to take.

FunkeyMunky

Jun 13, 2020
Denmark
For me it’s the lack of nimbleness that I miss. My current analogue bikes feel so nimble but still plough when needed. I’m finding that to make the Levo move around ,pop, you have to put in so much effort. Lots of lower back use which is not great for me having suffered lower back issues for many years.

My only other thought was to swap out all the standard components with my current Enduro which I built to a very light spec. I’m pretty sure I can get the weight down to sub 20kg which may make all the difference. Will see if there is any interest in the bike before I decide which route to take.
It’s good to know what works for you. I live in Denmark so we don’t have any hills. Mostly groomed single trails. I’ve just spent a month in Norway and the SL worked fine for me here too. What I miss on the full on bikes was getting a workout from it, which I need to help out with my back problems

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
nope, no regrets at all
I have been known to give a non e-biking mate a bit of a tow uphill though
I will say I've not tried an SL yet, but I love the assistance from my bike when riding up steep hills

MTBGUY65

Nov 15, 2018
Oregon
I think it is all personal choice on the type of rider you are and the skills you possess. I have been a turbo Levo owner since 2018 and I tried the new SL Levo. It is definitely more nimble and has more of a feel like a non-e-bike. If you are not a super aggressive rider, ride steeper technical hills, ride a lot of vertical feet then I think you will have more peace of mind on a long bike ride. I personally am in that category and do not regret not purchasing the SL but it is all personal choice respective of your abilities and style.

jimslade

Jun 14, 2019
south lake tahoe, ca
I had a 19 Comp, and it was great for getting me back into mtb but came to the same conclusion... I was riding almost entirely in lowered eco and finishing rides with 80-90% battery. My Comp felt like I was riding a monster truck.

For my typical rides (1-2 hrs, 1500-2000 ft climb) SL is still more than enough power and range And I still get home with 70-80% battery remaining. The SL is way more maneuverable, I take more jumps, and I can shut it off and still ride fine. Only negative of the SL is the motor is a loud whining b!t(h... but I’m happy with my choice... SL definitely right bike for me!

Traveler99

Apr 30, 2020
Sammamish, WA
Based on your riding style you seem more fitted to an SL. However I am very happy I got the Full Power Turbo vs the SL. I love the power for the mountains here where I ride. With the new extended motor warranty you could probably sell or trade with someone for an SL who wants a Turbo. Best of luck.

Utah Rider

Jul 4, 2019
Utah
I am not being negative about the SL but I wonder if it will have enough power for winter riding. I do mountain rides in the winter and use two batteries on my Turbo to complete one ride when it is below freezing out. I recently purchased my third Levo , an 18' carbon expert that had been sitting on the showroom floor for two years. Got it for a steel.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Is it the power or the nimbleness you miss? You did a demo on a bike with a lower torque motor and shorter chain stays (loved it) and then bought kind of the opposite (didn't like it as much). 70 to 90nM is a big difference and the e160 is a more nimble bike than a Levo. It's kind of in between a Levo and the SL, if you think about it.

Maybe you need to think outside the Specialized brand at full fat bikes that ride how you want then to? Also if you're looking for a nimble feel maybe consider looking at bikes with a 27.5 (at least on the rear). The SL may be the bike for you but it's a massive power drop from either a Levo or even e8000. I'd be chasing demo days if I were you.

Gordon

FSRJAPPO

Dec 13, 2019
Lexington NC
Love everything about my Levo Expert! I'm 66 and have been mtbiking for 27 years. 5 years ago a had a major heart attack while riding. My cardiologist credits my cyling and the grace of God for saving my life. After 5 hits from a defibrillator to restart my heart I'm still riding. The damage to my heart took me off my favorite trails and pretty much relegated me to rail-trails. After my LBS pretty much forced me to try a Levo I was instantly hooked!.Now I ride anywhere and everywhere I've ever riden. I'm also able to ride with my buddies again who are all on emtbs after getting tired of me checking out on them! Lol! I ride 3 to 4 times weekly and hope to continue for a few more years. I truly believe the SL is the new "Epic". Just like the Epic and FSR Stumpjumper, the SL and Levo will morph into one with the best of each. Just be patient.

danf72

Jun 18, 2020
Berkshire
So the FF Levo and I have now parted ways. I hope the new owner enjoys his bargain 5 week old 2020 bike and I'm sure with the 4 year warranty it will keep residuals strong too.. So the search is now on for the replacement. I was hoping I had learnt a lesson, expensive at that, but I find myself already looking at all the options out there....2021 bikes starting to come through and hopefully some lighter weight options from other manufacturers. Not a Spesh fanboy although still have the SL at the top of the list.

lmartins

Sep 19, 2018
Portugal
I have both the Levo and the Levo SL, and the mode I ride the SL the more I like it. If I had to choose and have just one, I would probably still go for the Levo, but both have their use cases no matter how you ride. Love how nimble it feels, how good it pedals above the assistance limit, and how similar it is to a regular bike.

There are reasons to love both bikes, but they are mostly different reasons I feel like.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles