Levo Gen 2 Anyone else broken the upper rear shock bolt?

Voi907

Jun 1, 2020
Broomfield Colorado
After about 3k miles on my turbo Levo comp I got home from a ride that felt a bit funny to find that my upper bolt for the rear shock had broken and left the tip of the bolt sheared off in the frame. Has anyone else delt with this situation?
Lbs said specialized has a new frame for me but it's the 2021 color. I'm fine with that. So they seem to be standing behind their warranty.
I'm also on my second engine which they replaced quickly and at no cost to me. Other than the downtime for repairs I couldn't be happier with the bike.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
After about 3k miles on my turbo Levo comp I got home from a ride that felt a bit funny to find that my upper bolt for the rear shock had broken and left the tip of the bolt sheared off in the frame. Has anyone else delt with this situation?
Lbs said specialized has a new frame for me but it's the 2021 color. I'm fine with that. So they seem to be standing behind their warranty.
I'm also on my second engine which they replaced quickly and at no cost to me. Other than the downtime for repairs I couldn't be happier with the bike.
Never happened to me personally, but I have seen two instances of broken shock bolts on customer’s bikes.
I was able to get one out with a reversed drill bit and the other resulted in a frame warranty.
Of course I have just replaced mine with a Titanium bolt so it should break any day now

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Never happened to me personally, but I have seen two instances of broken shock bolts on customer’s bikes.
I was able to get one out with a reversed drill bit and the other resulted in a frame warranty.
Of course I have just replaced mine with a Titanium bolt so it should break any day now
Titanium bolts can be as strong as some steel (up to maybe 8.8) but are no match or substitute for 10.9 and 12.9 steel bolts. There is a problem with the design or the bolts when the steel bolts are breaking.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Titanium bolts can be as strong as some steel (up to maybe 8.8) but are no match or substitute for 10.9 and 12.9 steel bolts. There is a problem with the design or the bolts when the steel bolts are breaking.
I didn’t use the spec numbers on the bolt, but I made it clear that the titanium bolt was weaker. The problem is the bolts are not strong enough, there is no effective way of getting broken bolts out and the torque value for this bolt is incorrect.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
I didn’t use the spec numbers on the bolt, but I made it clear that the titanium bolt was weaker. The problem is the bolts are not strong enough, there is no effective way of getting broken bolts out and the torque value for this bolt is incorrect.
I didn't mean to question your choice of bolt, just clarifying that if we want more strength we need steel.
I was getting concerned about the bolt because I have a Levo SL and wondered if they might have the same problem. The bolt on mine appears to be solid, I only looked at the head end since I don't want to remove it.
The bolt is in double shear and that's good but it appears some of the threads are also in shear and that is not good.
Of interest: Honda used some hollow bolts on the VTR1000 sport bike to tune chassis flex. Specialized may have tried something similar but it didn't work out.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I had a lower shock bolt shear on my Focus. The bolt had come loose and was working its way out. When the bolt moved far enough for the threaded part to come under shear, it sheared! The sheared end was removed by the LBS (Rutland Cycling) and the thread chased. They robbed a bolt off a new bike to get me going again and ordered two new bolts. One for the donor bike and one for my upper shock mounting. They Loctited the upper and lower bolts in, which they said it required but hadn't been present. No charge to me (apart from the ruined ride and the 70-mile round trip twice to Rutland Cycling). Happy overall with RC, good service, nice people. :)

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
What is the correct torque value? Do you recommend thread lock (owner's manual says yes, retailers tech workbook says no)?

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
No threadlock, because if the bolt does shear off, you have a small chance of getting it out.
The listed torque spec is 10.2Nm.
I tighten mine until it stops which is about 8.5-9Nm.
The upper shock bolt can works it way loose at this setting, but I check it before and after every ride. It’s not a perfect solution but as a bigger guy at 6’3” 235lbs I know that even if I brake the bolt I increase the chances of getting it out.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Drill a small hole through the centre of the sheared bolt, from the side that would loosen the bolt. The heat generated by the drill melts the Loctite and out comes the bolt stub!

Voi907

Jun 1, 2020
Broomfield Colorado
Update: I actually got a 2020 carbon frame. So possibly they are out of comp frames. Thank you specialized.

Alan Yeung

Jul 9, 2019
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Lucky you! I sheared the upper shock bolt on 2019 Levo Expert August 14th. Returned bike to LBS who then shipped it to Specialized in Montreal. Bike has been with Spesh since then. LBS told me last week the techs are Spesh were waiting on some tools to remove the sheared bolt. 4 weeks and counting is a long time to remove a sheared bolt. I'm starting to think they are unable to remove the bolt and are trying to find me a replacement frame.

Alan Yeung

Jul 9, 2019
Ottawa, ON, Canada
*UPDATE*. I'll be getting a new 2021 Expert frame. I guess they couldn't remove the sheared bolt. That's a shame as I prefer the color scheme of the 2019.

Last edited:

mtbbiker

Sep 15, 2018
Murrieta
My 2021 bolt got all bent. I replaced it before it broke. I noticed the old bolt I would have retorque it about every 2 rides, if not the bolt would be loose.

Alan Yeung

Jul 9, 2019
Ottawa, ON, Canada
So after 6 weeks I have my Levo back with a brand new 2021 Expert frame (sage/forest green with black rear triangle). The frame swap was done by the LBS and since this was their first time it took a bit longer (I believe I am their first Turbo Levo customer). I have to admit this colour scheme looks nicer in person. Though now the red decals on my RF bars no longer match the frame :-(. Specialized tech were unable to remove the sheared bolt and in the process stripped the thread. So let that be a warning to those who think this is a DIY job.

This no hassle warranty experience is one of the main reasons I choose the Levo and the Specialized brand over a direct to consumer brand.

2acknachattack

Jan 8, 2021
san mateo ca
What color did you get?
also was it just the frame replacement or did you also get a new shock and motor?

2acknachattack

Jan 8, 2021
san mateo ca
So after 6 weeks I have my Levo back with a brand new 2021 Expert frame (sage/forest green with black rear triangle). The frame swap was done by the LBS and since this was their first time it took a bit longer (I believe I am their first Turbo Levo customer). I have to admit this colour scheme looks nicer in person. Though now the red decals on my RF bars no longer match the frame :-(. Specialized tech were unable to remove the sheared bolt and in the process stripped the thread. So let that be a warning to those who think this is a DIY job.

This no hassle warranty experience is one of the main reasons I choose the Levo and the Specialized brand over a direct to consumer brand.

was it just the frame replacement or did you also get a new shock and motor?

TrackRat

May 26, 2020
SchnellerGT981
Great... I wonder what the implications are for those of us that may have swapped the shock out and whether that will lead to a denial of warranty coverage as someone has ‘tampered’ with the original installation.

Alan Yeung

Jul 9, 2019
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Great... I wonder what the implications are for those of us that may have swapped the shock out and whether that will lead to a denial of warranty coverage as someone has ‘tampered’ with the original installation.

Since I'm one of those people that reads warranties here's what the US/Canada warranty states:
"...
What is not covered by this Warranty?
This Warranty is void under the following circumstances and does not apply to damage caused by:
  • Improper alteration or installation of components, parts or accessories not originally intended for or compatible with the Product. ... "
It would seem to me Spesh could deny your warranty claim under the statement in italics. So then the question is a shock replacement considered a part that was not originally intended? I would argue if the shock matches the specifications of the original shock (i.e. length/stroke) you should be covered.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles