Levo Gen 2 Snapped upper rear shock bolt

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Hi everyone, I contacted specialized rider care today for an update and they have told me as a gesture of good will my frame will be getting replaced with a new one as my frame is now written off. I've asked for an ETA but they can't give me that just yet, I'm hoping it won't be too long does anyone have an idea of how long it may be? Also I'm really happy with the outcome in the end as my frame will now be getting replaced. Do they have new 2020 frames or will. It be 2022? They have told me it will be like for like so I'm guessing the colours are the same.
I got my levo expert in a week . In fact the dealer had the new frame for me before I had posted mine in so nobody had even seen the damage in headset in the flesh just a video. I got different different colour but happy with it . Good luck

Aussie78

May 11, 2022
Melbourne, Australia
As someone who’s been the warranty assessor for a national distributor of industrial equipment, (don’t get excited, not bike related goods), I’ve seen this play out many times.

From time to time I’d come across damage done by a dealer, of goods worth low 6 figures, where the most expensive part in this system was 40k USD.

The shit storm that would ensue between me, the factory, dealer/service agent and the owner was always crazy. Eventually the manufacturer would fold, and the dealer would get a black mark against their name, sales would pickup the incurred costs on the next sales quote, either a non favourable exchange rate being used, less discount being made available, or discount thresholds pushed up (I.e instead of a 5% discount at 600k order value, it would be 5% at 800k).

The bicycle repair industry is unregulated, often under skilled. Made worse by brands such as Specialized who have designed these bicycles with a short service life and close to zero regards for serviceability and spare parts.

Zakb

Sep 18, 2022
Sheffield
I have been told by rider care that they will giv me a brand new bike now as my old one had components in bad condition, shocks, groupset ect.

I have now received my new bike which is a gen 3 Levo alloy and I am really happy with this outcome.

Rider care have been very good and had great customer service once the accepted fault.

20221105_094729.jpg

Paul L

Nov 6, 2022
New Zealand
Hi everyone, so basically I was on a ride a few weeks ago and noticed the upper rear shock bolt was loose and snapped inside the frame. I took it to the closest specialized service centre as I'm from Sheffield and they damaged the thread trying to drill the bolt out.

They then drilled it out to a M8 and fit a motor bolt there all without consulting me first and it looked horrible protruding about half an inch from the frame.

I payed them £40 and took the bike home, it then came off 5 mins after riding again so I called them and took it back to the service centre. 2 days later they called to say it was fixed, I picked it up again and it still didn't work so I had to take it back for a third time.

It's now currently in the service centre and I have told them I am not happy with the bodge they did especially without speaking to me first.
I expected them to have got the bolt out and repair it but that didn't happen, I said I want it to look professional again.

I don't have warranty because I got the bike second hand, it is deristricted and it was made in August 2020.

They just called me and said it was only about 3 threads deep which is why it kept coming out, they said it Is now fixed and should be fine.

What do you guys think I should do? Do you think I should expect better and a new frame or just take my bike back and hope it works now?

Any advice is much appreciated thanks guys.

View attachment 97437

View attachment 97438

View attachment 97439
Same thing happened to my 2019 model. They drilled it out and replaced the bolt. Seems there is a weakness.

I wouldn't think a replacement frame would be on if they can eventually fix the issue, but they do seem to have been a bit useless. I wouldn't go back there again!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles