Levo Gen 2 Levo snapped shock bolt

Choc3

Apr 10, 2020
Scotland
has happened twice on mine. I now have a baggy of screws (OEM) and check after each ride and even ride with one in my tool kit. I'm on a Comp 19 (alloy) with a Fox coil (2021).

What screw (OEM) do you use? Same as original or different?

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US
Yep been there done that, exact same thing, ended up with a new frame, 6 weeks later.

have a thread on the topic.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Loctite relies on a chemical reaction with the metal which is fine with steel/iron /copper etc but both aluminium and Titanium are largely inactive so you might be advised to prime ( loctite 7649) the bolt before using a blue Loctite ( e.g 222). If you decide against using a loctite you will need to apply anti seize to the bolt.
( personally I have no issues using blue loctite on ally screws/bolts without priming on most fixings on the bike. I do not use it on cranks/pedals/cassette nut/hub axle locknuts etc.)

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Loctite relies on a chemical reaction with the metal which is fine with steel/iron /copper etc but both aluminium and Titanium are largely inactive so you might be advised to prime ( loctite 7649) the bolt before using a blue Loctite ( e.g 222). If you decide against using a loctite you will need to apply anti seize to the bolt.
( personally I have no issues using blue loctite on ally screws/bolts without priming on most fixings on the bike. I do not use it on cranks/pedals/cassette nut/hub axle locknuts etc.)

Where did you read that Loctite 222 does not activate with aluminum? LOCTITE 222

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Where did you read that Loctite 222 does not activate with aluminum? LOCTITE 222
page 4
MRO_DoItRight.pdf (useloctite.com)
my understanding is that Loctite requires an active reaction with the substrate to be fully effective. Inactive substrates like Ally and titanium therefore need to be primed. without the primer the loctite will still "set" whilst in an environment without oxygen so will do something to prevent the bolt loosening, but it does not form a bond with the bolt like it would with a steel bolt and "lock" the thread until sufficient shear force is applied to break that lock.

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
Ordered a Ti set from BetterBolts, but don't know how long that will take so also called RaceCo and was able to just purchase a lower bolt as I've managed to partially strip the head with my torque wrench when flipping the chip.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles