Levo Gen 2 Snapped upper rear shock bolt

Zakb

Sep 18, 2022
Sheffield
Not yet, I haven't removed it from the bike yet and it is in the shop. I can remove this tho, will they know once its removed?

Zakb

Sep 18, 2022
Sheffield
I called spesh rider care and some guy called Luke basically laughed at me and explained it happens and its probably down to the fact the thread was damaged.

I then explained this has been warrantied in other threads and he said its not a warranty issue and this had never been warrantied before, I have seen this on other threads and they have replaced frames under warranty but he explained people lie on the Internet and take it with "a pinch of salt" I can't lie he was really patronising so I just ended the convo there.

Zakb

Sep 18, 2022
Sheffield
I've just spoken to the LBS and they have told me specialized have instructed them to leave it as they haven't done anything wrong. They also offered me 35% off a S works frame that costs around 7k.

I can't believe how poor the customer service has been and I also can't believe they think they've not done anything wrong. I guess now I know how it works.

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
so they have baisicly destroyed your frame with a mod you did not even ask for and say they have not done anything wrong and offer a 35% discount on a new frame to fix there fuck up says it all take them to court and cost them a fortune the morons.
They where brought a messed up frame and made it worse. Not quite the same as having a perfectly good frame to start with.

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
why not just get it helicoiled by someone who is confident doing it. Its dont think its realistic to expect a new frame.

This is a weak point, I've often thought what if the thread strips there. There is hardly anything holding the rear suspension on and the bike is useless without it!

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
They had to drill to get out the hardened bolt that was broken. Unless you are very skilled it's easy to get off center, or the threads could have be destroyed when they got it.

In that case you need to drill and install a coil or tap new threads.

Frame was compromised on arrival. The bolt they used should be tapered and as long as new threads where cut correctly it is a viable fix. Get a better bolt and have a machine shop cheek the the threads. Frame is not toast.

For the OP to sue, he would need to prove that the frame was not compromised when it was delivered for the work. It's a crappy situation for both parties.

Personally, I feel he should not pay for the work.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I called spesh rider care and some guy called Luke basically laughed at me and explained it happens and its probably down to the fact the thread was damaged.

I then explained this has been warrantied in other threads and he said its not a warranty issue and this had never been warrantied before, I have seen this on other threads and they have replaced frames under warranty but he explained people lie on the Internet and take it with "a pinch of salt" I can't lie he was really patronising so I just ended the convo there.
While I have not read about this procedure being warrantied in other threads, I would be more concerned about the side where the bolt head goes into the frame. If the LBS bored out the taper, they have weakened the frame. That is pure and simple bad engineering/machining practice. As for the other side where where the frame is threaded, if there are more than the number of threads on a 8mm nut and the threads are not damaged, it will be fine.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I'm sorry for your pain, but this is an example of why I cringe when somebody writes that they don't want to tackle maintenance/repairs themselves. "Better to have a professional take care of it."

💯

Right on, brother. I try to talk about the Bike Store Boys in a somewhat polite and uncondescending tone, but it's difficult. There are a couple basic rules that apply to almost everything in life.

1. Don't begin a task that is out of your league.
2. If the task is out of your league, formulate a solid plan that will be successful.
3. If the solid plan goes awry, pivot to an alternate plan.
4. When you start to screw things up, stop. Either your plan was flawed, or you deviated from the plan. Fix it.
5. Don't let your giant ego prevent you from admitting you're a dummy. Ask for help.

The Bike Store Boys failed on all counts.

To @Zakb the OP:
1. Don't be too timid to realize you're smarter than the Bike Store Boys.
2. By now you should realize that the BSB are not very talented.
Don't push them into desperation. They might make it worse.
3. You paid them forty quid. A craftsman makes more than that if he
goes to take a sh1t and pour a cup of coffee. You get what you pay for.

Just for comparison, the original problem might take me an hour or two... or four... depending on my mood and how perfect I wanted to make it. You're probably not willing to pay what that level of craftsmanship would cost... nobody is. The only alternative is to do the work yourself.

If the "repair" works, you might want to let it be. If it requires further attention, someone mentioned helicoils. That's a viable idea if the clowns at the bike store didn't already make the threads too big. That's ok, as there are always elegant solutions to the creative mind. The coolest solution I can think of is to make a threaded bushing. Tap the existing hole to something bigger. Make a threaded bushing to perfectly fit that hole. Drill and tap that bushing to whatever the original bolt size was. Permanently Loctite the bushing into place. Get a new bolt from Specialized, and live happily ever after. You might even be able to squeeze the bike store for the new bolt, just to shut you up after they did such an awful job.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Just helicoil it, loctite it in and go ride.

And go over the rest of the bike with a torque wrench to make sure nothing else is falling off.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
3. You paid them forty quid. A craftsman makes more than that if he
goes to take a sh1t and pour a cup of coffee. You get what you pay for.

Just for comparison, the original problem might take me an hour or two... or four... depending on my mood and how perfect I wanted to make it. You're probably not willing to pay what that level of craftsmanship would cost... nobody is. The only alternative is to do the work yourself.

That's the facts! I machine custom parts and I wouldn't do it for 40.

Zakb

Sep 18, 2022
Sheffield
The service centre have told me they are going to order a bolt that will fit much better in the frame so I have accepted this option if it looks close to original, works properly and doesn't cause any structural issues to the frame. They've told me they will look into it and email me the options the have. it will take a few days so I will update you guys once I know more.

Aussie78

May 11, 2022
Melbourne, Australia
A better repair can be achieved using a Time-sert rather than helicoil

I used Time-Sert exclusively a decade ago doing Subaru engine repairs, specifically ej20 and ej25 when a block with stripped thread(s) would come my way.

I was once unmovable in my conviction they were the best. Maybe they were back then, but more recent testing seems to suggest they have lost the crown.

I was always using helicoil for non critical tasks back then. Never had one fail.

Getting the new hole round and square to the axis of the bolt is more important then what system is used. 99/100 in the bicycle world, some poor sap is using a hand drill.

Zakb

Sep 18, 2022
Sheffield
Hi all,

I called the LBS today to ask what's happening as they haven't been in touch and they explained they have spoken to specialized who agree they need to use a steel bolt.

I asked if they had ordered one and they said no, a colleague has a spare bolt at home and will be bringing it in to try.

I'm really annoyed now as they've had the bike ages and are not doing anything about it, I thought to myself im going to pick the bike up and just sort it myself.

I then asked the mechanic for a picture of my bike with bolt removed and he sent me this! (see picture attached)

My frame is well and truly fucked, they've completely damaged it and specialized are not taking responsibility! What do i do now? I wish I never took it to them and just got an engineer to sort it out or Berkshire cycles!

Zak levo shock bolt 3.jpeg

Zakb

Sep 18, 2022
Sheffield
I didn't ask them for this, I never even asked for all this work to be done. I still feel like they've f***ed me over and specialized are just laughing at me. My bike looked so much better and now im left with something that looks like sh**

Zakb

Sep 18, 2022
Sheffield
I genuinely believe I now am in a good legal position. This part of the frame was perfect before I sent it to them and I have image proof. They completely damaged it and I should be in a position to get a new frame!

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Getting the new hole round and square to the axis of the bolt is more important then what system is used. 99/100 in the bicycle world, some poor sap is using a hand drill.
Yep. And it is almost impossible to get a round/square hole with a hand drill. Difficult to get a tap started square by hand too.

Last edited:

Zakb

Sep 18, 2022
Sheffield
That's the difference from before I sent it to the shop and now.

What's the advice on the next step then, I think tomorrow I will drive down there and get it back from them but I'm not sure. I want to speak to specialized rider care first to show them what they have done. Hopefully they will side with me on this one.

Screenshot_20220923-204521_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220923-203622_Outlook.jpg

Zakb

Sep 18, 2022
Sheffield
Specialized themselves told me to take. It to the nearest specialized concept store and it was them who damaged the bike

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Specialized themselves told me to take. It to the nearest specialized concept store and it was them who damaged the bike
Agree so they may have voided the warranty. That's why bikes get sent back to companies dealers are wary to do certain repairs in case they get blamed . The next dealer is not and looks like yours tried but not worked out as it should have.

Zakb

Sep 18, 2022
Sheffield
Specialized rider care asked me to take my bike to the closest service centre and they will arrange to get it delivered to their headquarters.
Hopefully they inspect it and realise its not any good but we will see what they say

ah1

Jul 11, 2020
Santa Cruz CA
@Zakb sorry for your troubles I agree you weren't treated well in any case, make sure to (negatively) review all parties involved when all is said and done, that LBS sucks. To the point that others mentioned, helicoil done right will solve this issue. Not sure how much you'll like the looks given the larger diameter now but it will structurally be safe (and maybe even stronger). Good luck!

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
This is a crappy situation all around. One thing you need to consider however is the original cause of this whole mess - the bolt snapping in the first place. Usually that only happens when a shock blows through 100% of its travel and/or is very low on air, or was accidentally ridden in the locked out position in some gnar. Hoping that you do get your bike back repaired to your satisfaction, and when you do, make sure you keep an eye on shock air pressure and have proper initial setup so the bolt(s) aren't stressed on a big hit. I've seen bolts snap and anchor points on frames fracture due to excessively low shock pressure.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Specialized rider care asked me to take my bike to the closest service centre and they will arrange to get it delivered to their headquarters.
Hopefully they inspect it and realise its not any good but we will see what they sa
Hope it's not out of action too long and they sort it ok . As you say it's newish and you know if you've twatted it or not. Too many experts on here saying the only way this or that could happen was if you did this.

Zakb

Sep 18, 2022
Sheffield
I hardly ride trails and never bottomed out the shocks. Im not sure why it snapped only thing I could think of is it has previously been incorrectly torqued or it worked its way loose but I'm not sure.

Zakb

Sep 18, 2022
Sheffield
It wasn't shock pressure either as I check that every time before I ride. As I said I couldn't tell you why but it wasn't something I did and it shouldn't have happened

Zakb

Sep 18, 2022
Sheffield
Hi everyone, I contacted specialized rider care today for an update and they have told me as a gesture of good will my frame will be getting replaced with a new one as my frame is now written off. I've asked for an ETA but they can't give me that just yet, I'm hoping it won't be too long does anyone have an idea of how long it may be? Also I'm really happy with the outcome in the end as my frame will now be getting replaced. Do they have new 2020 frames or will. It be 2022? They have told me it will be like for like so I'm guessing the colours are the same.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles