Fuel EXe so who's ordered the Trek Fuel EXe?

az2au

Nov 16, 2022
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm new to this forum but the EXe has me totally converted to the emtb life. I tried the Levo SL but it just wasn't for me. Too much whine in the motor and I just didn't find it to be more interesting than my beloved Niner Rip 9 RDO that I've been riding for a few years. On a whim I picked up the EXe 9.9 XTR and I view the world differently. It blows away anything I've tried because I want to work hard 99.9% of the time but also want extra power when needed. You often can't even tell if it is helping which is exactly what I want.

One problem though, my wife decided that she had to have the same bike so now I ordered a second one. Mine is a L in Mulsanne Blue and her's a medium in the same color. It will be here in a few days and I've looking forward to her riding with me.

Thanks for all of the advice on settings and errors so far!

KevinNY

Nov 1, 2022
NYC
I'm new to this forum but the EXe has me totally converted to the emtb life. I tried the Levo SL but it just wasn't for me. Too much whine in the motor and I just didn't find it to be more interesting than my beloved Niner Rip 9 RDO that I've been riding for a few years. On a whim I picked up the EXe 9.9 XTR and I view the world differently. It blows away anything I've tried because I want to work hard 99.9% of the time but also want extra power when needed. You often can't even tell if it is helping which is exactly what I want.

One problem though, my wife decided that she had to have the same bike so now I ordered a second one. Mine is a L in Mulsanne Blue and her's a medium in the same color. It will be here in a few days and I've looking forward to her riding with me.

Nice, I have same EXe 9.9 XTR, same color, and same size. :)

Were you able to get the Trek Central App to read your Tyrewiz and Airwiz pressures? It doesn't read it on mine, and I had to use the SRAM AXS app to read the pressures.

az2au

Nov 16, 2022
Scottsdale, AZ
Nice, I have same EXe 9.9 XTR, same color, and same size. :)

Were you able to get the Trek Central App to read your Tyrewiz and Airwiz pressures? It doesn't read it on mine, and I had to use the SRAM AXS app to read the pressures.
Nope. Same for me but the AXS app works fine so a minor annoyance.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ

Congrats on the bike. I see you are in Scottsdale. I am out in North Mesa, a few minutes from Hawes. I’ve been on my EXe for about a month now.

smc_stefan

Oct 10, 2022
Austria
Can you say more ? :) and how different was handling ?
A few factors wich come down to personal needs.
As I said, I find both great.

The Fuel was "easier to manouver" if that makes sense for you, a little more playful and it felt lighter (obviously).
The Levo on the other side doesn't feel much heavier, it hides it's weight quite good, fits my downhill riding style better as it's so so planted when going down fast, yet still easy to manouver and in the end I liked the full fat motor better. While the EXe is a more nimble, more "natural" feeling bike, the Levo is your trash around and have huge fun machine.

If I would be more of a XC or touring guy, I probably would have chosen the EXe, but I like smashing down way to much, so I went for the Levo to profit of an almost Enduro like DH performance. The motor of the Levo I tested and bought right after (brand new out of the box - dealer had to set it up with his Laptop first) was silent, really silent and it also was during it's short maiden ride yesterday at my local trails (only 2400 ft. elevation, 81% in Trail, 19% in Turbo Mode), absolutely no whining noise uphil, no rattle downhill, I felt like filming an EMTB commercial :ROFLMAO:. Maybe they did some small tweaks for the 2023 year, maybe I was lucky and got a very silent one, who knows.

Update:
One thing I have to add, I live very close to a small trail park without ski lifts or funiculars which is open all year, it's so close I can pedal there easily and in order to get to the trails there's a short climb of around 1500 ft you have to manage and after riding each of the five trails you have to self shuttle up around 1200 ft to get back to the start. Trails are green, blue, red and black, so there's something for everybody and every weather condition. As I ride mostly there or around this area, the Levo was more suitable for me as well.

Last edited:

BobMtnBkr

Mar 17, 2022
Williamsburg VA
Decided to trade in my '21 Rail 9.8 XT for a '23 Fuel EX-e 9.8 XT. LBS found my size (yellow/medium) still in a box a couple hundred miles away and it'll be here next week. My wife was quoted a 6 month wait in her size (yellow/small), so she decided to stay with her '21 Rail 9.8 XT.

All of my local trails are deep woods XC. Nearest bike park is 2 hours away and mountains are 3-4 hours away. Rail was great at the bike park but overkill on tight XC trails. And the excessive noises (especially battery clunking) drove me nuts.

MikeP

Oct 31, 2022
West Berkshire
All of my local trails are deep woods XC. Nearest bike park is 2 hours away and mountains are 3-4 hours away. Rail was great at the bike park but overkill on tight XC trails. And the excessive noises (especially battery clunking) drove me nuts.
This is the reason I have an EX-e on order. I'd love a full fat, 170mm enduro bike, but I'd only *need* it 2-3 days a year, and it would just absorb my local trails without me noticing.

DBSwiss

Oct 25, 2022
United States
Decided to trade in my '21 Rail 9.8 XT for a '23 Fuel EX-e 9.8 XT. LBS found my size (yellow/medium) still in a box a couple hundred miles away and it'll be here next week. My wife was quoted a 6 month wait in her size (yellow/small), so she decided to stay with her '21 Rail 9.8 XT.

You will love the EXe. I had my 9.8XT since Oct 1 and I love the bike. I saw you have a SJ as well. I have a 22 SJ Pro besides the EXe and I have to say while they are both great bikes, the EXe is a fantastic bike with amazing handling and balance.

windfed

Nov 2, 2021
Piacenza - Italy
lots of dreams about Fuel EX-E, to replace my current RAIL 9.9-2020
BUT..
I'm 61, 90kg x 190cm (XL), my trails are ALL MOUNTAIN/ENDURO... and sometime exploring... (portage!)
my average "ride" is 30km/3hours/1.000m climb, ended with 30% battery left (625w)
I never use TURBO, very few times E-mtb.

maybe the "light" power and small battery of the Ex-E is not enough for me?

Your suggestions are welcome!

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
BUT..
I'm 61, 90kg x 190cm (XL), my trails are ALL MOUNTAIN/ENDURO... and sometime exploring... (portage!)
my average "ride" is 30km/3hours/1.000m climb, ended with 30% battery left (625w)

I think you will need the range extender to do that kind of ride with confidence that you wont run out of power.

windfed

Nov 2, 2021
Piacenza - Italy
I think you will need the range extender to do that kind of ride with confidence that you wont run out of power.
This is exactly my doubt.... with range Extender, the difference (in weight) vs. RAIL is reducing by 50%.
I should improve my training level to leave the extender at home, but I'm pretty sure it will be in the backpack..... just in case.... (everytime).

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
This is exactly my doubt.... with range Extender, the difference (in weight) vs. RAIL is reducing by 50%.
I should improve my training level to leave the extender at home, but I'm pretty sure it will be in the backpack..... just in case.... (everytime).
trek rail 9.9 is 22.42kg without pedals

trek fuel 9.8 xt is is 18.1kg without pedals, the range extender weighs 900g.

So the fuel without range extender is 4.32kg lighter than the rail, with range extender its still 3.42kg lighter. So the fuel is still a good chunk of weight lighter even with the range extender.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
BUT..

I guess as @Mteam says, you're borderline.

With what you have left and what the Fuel gives with the smaller battery, you might be just ok .. If you have the extender as backup. Excellent. But do you want to be adding weight into a backpack ?

On the positives when your portage, it will be way easier and save you a huge amount of energy.

Plus, it looks cool ?!?! (man accounting logic) - so you want one, but trying to sell it to yourself.

You speeds/times and no turbo/little MTB suggest it's pretty reasonable it will fit.

If you can't borrow/test one, can you test/borrow something like a levo SL to get a feel for less weight/similar battery/less power than a Full fat ?

windfed

Nov 2, 2021
Piacenza - Italy
I guess as @Mteam says, you're borderline.

With what you have left and what the Fuel gives with the smaller battery, you might be just ok .. If you have the extender as backup. Excellent. But do you want to be adding weight into a backpack ?

On the positives when your portage, it will be way easier and save you a huge amount of energy.

Plus, it looks cool ?!?! (man accounting logic) - so you want one, but trying to sell it to yourself.

You speeds/times and no turbo/little MTB suggest it's pretty reasonable it will fit.

If you can't borrow/test one, can you test/borrow something like a levo SL to get a feel for less weight/similar battery/less power than a Full fat ?
unfortunately none of my friends own a SL or similar.
you're right , this could be the real test before any further decision.
merci beacoup! 😉

Balboa

Sep 25, 2022
NL
BUT..

I did a few rides approx the same as you. If you have the possibility to ride on flat tarmac without any E-power and on the trail only in ECO with low assist (100w 55% in the app), it's no problem but you will use the whole accu. Extender will give you more range. I ordered one, but is in backorder till January 23.

1669067153145.png

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
My Deep Smoke 9.7 should be with me Monday, though it won't be going anywhere until I get the Invisiframe fitted, so at least next weekend (weather dependent!). SO excited for this bike, as I love my Levo SL but hate the motor noise. Also hoping that (very) slightly less travel might make me slow down a bit but, from what I've read about this bike, maybe not..!

The Reverend

Aug 13, 2022
Melbourne
BUT..

I'm a little taller at 1.93m and a chunk heavier at 107kg set to ride and 53 yrs old. I've ridden my Fuel Ex-e for about that sort of distance and elevation and it's only had me at ~10% battery at the end of the ride once.

You will need to measure your support/ assist levels. I also tend to turn it off for flat / light trails and descending.

You'd likely be on the edge of range limits depending on terrain and support level used.

The bike rides amazingly well though.
Any chance of getting a demo ride?

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Looks like you also got the incorrect cranks. They are spec’d as the carbon cranks but looks like you got Aluminum just like me. If you tell them they should either get you the correct ones or give you some money back. Difference here in the US is about $300.
I wonder if they actually changed the crank spec because of the Q-factor, see here.
If you can get some $ back great, otherwise I’d consider the aluminum an upgrade. My 9.8 came with aluminum.

Smr238

Oct 5, 2022
Georgia
I wonder if they actually changed the crank spec because of the Q-factor, see here.
If you can get some $ back great, otherwise I’d consider the aluminum an upgrade. My 9.8 came with aluminum.
I got the alloys. The LBS is looking into it. I’m hoping for a store credit to put towards an extender. Alloy drinks are fine as long as I get a credit or the correct crank.

Tekniques

Nov 27, 2022
Australia
Ordered the 9.8XT Deep Smoke, Medium in August but just picked it up due to injury. When I was inspecting it under natural sunlight and a torch pre-ride wrapping, the top tube shows what appears to be the carbon patches and looks like they didn't use enough paint. Trek store and their HQ said "its intentional". I would understand if the whole bike was done in this fashion, but its not. Nowhere else on the bike can you see this, its a solid colour. Anyone else's look like this?

3CFD7B4B-C21B-4E7A-A2AF-AB6ED98C2D50_1_201_a.jpeg

B7CD4822-30A3-4FA4-AB84-3CC97AAD86F0_1_201_a.jpeg

The Reverend

Aug 13, 2022
Melbourne
Ordered the 9.8XT Deep Smoke, Medium in August but just picked it up due to injury. When I was inspecting it under natural sunlight and a torch pre-ride wrapping, the top tube shows what appears to be the carbon patches and looks like they didn't use enough paint. Trek store and their HQ said "its intentional". I would understand if the whole bike was done in this fashion, but its not. Nowhere else on the bike can you see this, its a solid colour. Anyone else's look like this?

View attachment 102261
View attachment 102262
Looks a lot like mine actually. Wrap and ride I'd say. I can definitely see the patches and segments in my frame. It's different in the differing light conditions..

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA

View attachment 102261
View attachment 102262
The goal of the esthetic design is to show the Carbon Fiber. Looking that close and in direct sunlight and using a torch seems a little OCD to me. How does it look without the torch?

On the other hand, I am surprised at the copper color. That strip doesn't look like CF to me.

Tekniques

Nov 27, 2022
Australia
The goal of the esthetic design is to show the Carbon Fiber. Looking that close and in direct sunlight and using a torch seems a little OCD to me. How does it look without the torch?

On the other hand, I am surprised at the copper color. That strip doesn't look like CF to me.
I get the point about aesthetic design if the entire bike was like that but only the top tube seems out of place, hence my query. The bike is in a well lit room with roof windows where I prepped it for ride wrap, so when the sunlight hit it, I noticed, as you would when riding on a good day. The torch was only used to check over the frame for scratches defects etc, so not OCD by any means, but over here when you pay $13k for this bike I think its fair to check it over in detail.
The strip you mention, I agree in the sense that it doesn't look like a good bit of aesthetic design, whatever it is... Indoors you can't see it, but depends on the light intensity.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles