Fuel EXe so who's ordered the Trek Fuel EXe?

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Cancelled my order! Motor issues have me a bit worried. Will stick with my levo for winter see how things are looking next year.
Got my new one earlier in the week. 9.8. This is an excellent bike - and no motor issues.

3rd ride this morning. I'll post some range info in the mega thread to try to help people on the fence.

The motor power is plenty. I'm embarrassingly heavy at the moment with 97kg on my slim frame and mode 2 is more than enough around my local hilly trails. Handles like a good regular trail bike. Is more capable than I expected, I was thinking DHF but no this needs an Assegai. I'm not at home with the Charger 3 yet - but love the rest of the bike. Trek have got so many little things right with this one. Well done 👏

From what I'm reading, I'm not sure there have been any actual motor issues - more "LBS torque wrench" issues at this point :)

Last edited:

The Reverend

Aug 13, 2022
Melbourne
I've had mine 9.8 XT for probably a month now and have made a few amends to it so it suits me.
Changed out the integrated stem and bars, tyres and a 240mm dropper as well as putting 160mm travel at the front. I just needed the front a little higher for comfort.

Early on, I did have two errors codes that went away after a restart, and then creaking / clicking from the cranks.

After Trek looked at it, everything has been fine.

One month in and I'm completely besotted with this bike. It absolutely has lit a fire under me in terms of riding enthusiasm.

The climbing is excellent, there are times I don't even have the assist on. You can feel the weight but it climbs up things just beautifully.

When the incline gets really steep, the support and gearing work so very well and I'm arriving at the top with lots of energy and no fatigue.
Even though my bikes are supposed to "climb well" this just has something to it. And because you're fresh and strong at the start of the descents, there are fewer sloppy riding mistakes.

There's enough support for my 107kgs so it must be lovely for even lighter riders.

Descending is composed and controlled, it handles chunk / rock gardens with no issues, and the cornering is just superb. It's plush and active yet supportive.

I actually can't think of anything I don't like / have an issue with which for me is unusual.

Hoping everyone else is enjoying their own just as much!

F4Flyer

Sep 30, 2020
Denver
The new Pivot, the Trek EXE, and the new (hopefully soon) Levo SL are the three most interesting bikes for me. I'll sell my Levo SL and get one of those in 2023, I imagine.

R2thek

Apr 10, 2022
Colorado
Having ridden both motor systems (TQ HPR 50 and Fazua Ride 60) its difficult to call one better than the other. The TQ has more finesse, design seems better integrated (the display in my opinion is much better than the Fazua plastic thing with lights), the TQ remote is superier (Fazua seems weaker and way more flimsy).

The Fazua still has about 48 ratchet points in the motor (i didnt actually count but it ratchets around the internal gearing) which is much slower to engage when you start pedaling, and is noisy when freewheeling. There is also a (slight, but noticeable) high pitch motor wine at higher cadences. The TQ is fluid, silent and instantly engages.

Overall, the TQ build quality seems superior to me..

But, the Fazua is definitely more powerful, the battery bigger too.

Better? diffucult to call, I would be hard pressed to choose one over the other if I had a single choice to go in a bike...

I am definitely going to do a head to head video on these 2 systems, I have both bikes in person now,
That head to head comparison would be much appreciated.

Grendel

Subscriber
Dec 20, 2021
Texas
i see it as this:

Low Weights (Super Light): 16-19KG mid power (Fazua / TQ / Next Spesh) 50-65nm 300-450 watts
Full Fat: 22-26kg Full Power (Brose / Bosch etc) 85-95Nm 500-800 watts

I think the low powers (35nm ish) will pretty much disappear within 12 months
Rob, Would you not include the Orbea Rise in the Low Weights/Super Light category? I'm excited about the 3 bikes you mentioned and am seriously considering the Fuel EXE as my next ride but it seems like Orbea is oftentimes overlooked. I've thoroughly enjoyed mine and feel like it still competes well with the 3 you mentioned.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Rob, Would you not include the Orbea Rise in the Low Weights/Super Light category? I'm excited about the 3 bikes you mentioned and am seriously considering the Fuel EXE as my next ride but it seems like Orbea is oftentimes overlooked. I've thoroughly enjoyed mine and feel like it still competes well with the 3 you mentioned.
I think the difference is that the ones he's mentioned use motors which are specifically developed as "lightweight" - lower power motors.

Where as the Rise, uses a de-tuned EP8 motor to enable the use of a smaller battery to create a lighter bike with a good performance envelope - more a Semi Skimmed than a Full Fat (if using English/European Milk types as a convention) a bit like Focus did with the Original Jam2's (even with the option of a "TEC pack"/range extender) - but before "lightweight" / SL - was something we considered a "type" until the Levo SL came along with the Mahle (which was rumoured to have been originally developed for Orbea - no idea if that is true or not) .

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
I really tried to get on with the fancy carbon one piece stembar, but alas the bike is too long. I'm 181cm which is pretty centrally in a large by Treks reckoning but I needed to go 35mm stem and bar with some rise. I've used parts bin stuff to work it out thus far but I'll need 40mm rise and shortest possible stem, will likely stay with the thinner bars and go 31mm Renthal stem to get maximum shortage.

Running shorter stem and higher bars this morning the difference was night and day cornering, in tight stuff and getting in the air.

Desert_Turtle

Mar 1, 2022
Palmdale, CA
Just to help people out, I’m 5’8” and 200lbs. I ride a medium in most bikes but all but one of my many Levo SLs were Large and I also had a Large Orbea Rise H10. I ended up with a Medium EXe and I’m very happy with the sizing. I bought a bike that my LBS had allocated. I waited 6 weeks. The bike exceeded every one of my expectations other than the power but I actually don’t care. It’s way more bike than the SL or Rise. If you want both an ebike but an acoustic riding experience, the EXe is for you. It’s hard to believe people are having noise issues. It only makes a small amount of sound at high cadence. Guys riding next to you cannot hear the motor.

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
So far I have ridden 15 miles and 2000 vertical feet and I haven't heard the motor at all but I'm old and I'm on the verge of needing hearing aids.

On my first ride the bike turned itself off abruptly but it worked ok after I turned it back on. The firmware hadn't been updated. It was updated before my second ride and it worked great on my second ride.

addthebadd

Sep 7, 2022
Wales, UK
My 9.7 has just arrived at my LBS here in the UK. :))

PXL_20220927_152349486.jpg

Grendel

Subscriber
Dec 20, 2021
Texas
I think the difference is that the ones he's mentioned use motors which are specifically developed as "lightweight" - lower power motors.

Where as the Rise, uses a de-tuned EP8 motor to enable the use of a smaller battery to create a lighter bike with a good performance envelope - more a Semi Skimmed than a Full Fat (if using English/European Milk types as a convention) a bit like Focus did with the Original Jam2's (even with the option of a "TEC pack"/range extender) - but before "lightweight" / SL - was something we considered a "type" until the Levo SL came along with the Mahle (which was rumoured to have been originally developed for Orbea - no idea if that is true or not) .
Great point! I should have paid more attention that he is really talking about the motors and not the specific lighter weight bikes.

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
Put down a deposit on a 9.7 yesterday for a mid October delivery. I asked about the refund policy and they kind of said that joy riding it and returning it was not cool. I told them that given what I have read in this forum that the bike was going to have a very short leash in terms of issues. They actually added some that verbiage to the receipt which I thought was a positive step.

I took a flier in 2019 on my Decoy with YT and have been rewarded with a fantastically reliable bike. Fingers crossed on this one.

lanfeust9

Oct 4, 2022
Squamish
My 9.5 Fuel EXe will be at my LBS on 8/29. They are going to fully custom build the bike, so it is getting stripped to the frame before I take a ride. I should have it sometime in early September, done and ready to hit the trail.

Build specs:

Fuel EXe 9.5 in Matte Dnister Black

- X01 AXS derailleur and shifter
- XX1 Eagle cassette
- XX1 Eagle Chain
- I9 Hydra Hubs
- Nox Farlow; 27.5 rear wheel / 29 front wheel (gonna run it mullet)
- DT Swiss Competition Spokes
- Deity Bladerunner pedals
- Deity Apex 35 stem
- Deity Skywire 35 mm handlebars
- E13 E-spec carbon 160 mm cranks
- Shimano XT 8120 brakes
- Bike Yoke Revive dropper post, 160 mm
- Fox Float X2 shock
- Fox 36 Grip 2 Performance Elite 160 mm fork
- Specialized Power Arc Pro seat
- SRAM HS2 disc brake rotors - 200 mm
- Bridgestone Kryptotal RE 27.5 (rear tire); Kryptotal FR 29 (front tire)
- Lizard Skin Peatty lock-on grips
- Jagwire braided cables
- Trek Range Extender

Can‘t wait to take this bike for a spin.

Hi, I am particularly interested in this bike but wanted a more enduro geometry/suspension lightweight ebike. I was wondering if you ended up using the 27.5" wheel in the back, and if you did do you know how it affected the geometry, would the head tube angle be closer to 64 in this case, how does it affect pedal strikes?

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
@levity and better half Levity. Utah is tough on mechanical things. Any issues with the pair of EXe's?
@Swingset - yes, many Utah trails are rough with lots of rocky ledges, step-ups, step-downs, etc. However, these tend to be harder on the rider than on modern high-end mtbs. (Pedals can suffer abuse if your BB is too low or you’re not careful.)

My EXe 9.7 and mrs levity’s 9.7 are running fine with 368 miles as of today. About half those miles here in Utah, with the rest in Colorado or at home in SoCal. No issues, just fun times. Very happy with the bikes.

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
Hey thanks for the great feedback. Just got back from three weeks of riding in Flagstaff, Durango, Crested Butte, Curt Gowdy (Wyoming) Ft Collins, Fruita, Richfield, and Thunder Mtn in Red Canyon. Somewhere around 250 miles of single track. My Decoy worked great but a lighter, quieter bike is pretty attractive.

My 9.7 is due in another week and half. Will believe it when I see it.

smc_stefan

Oct 10, 2022
Austria
Initially wanted to get a Levo for next season but the reviews of the EX-e got me hooked, still have some time as currently working abroad but gonna pop into my LBS in November, hopefully they will have one available for a testride or at least a display bike, the 9.8 XT would nail it for me. Let's see if Spesh has some updates in their lineup till then, but they've been quite silent on the 2023 lineup so far.

Regarding the motor I'm not worried, it might be the first of it's kind in an EMTB but HPR motors were invented in the 50s and used in a lot of applications since (Moonrover, robotics, medical equipment,...).

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
Not getting many straight answers as to when my ordered 9.7 is going to be available (two separate dealers said they would have one in 454 days). Local shop has a 9.8 in stock. Looks like the highlights are carbon wheels, cranks, and stem/bar and the suspension change to RS from Fox. May just have to choke down that extra 1k and get this over with.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Not getting many straight answers as to when my ordered 9.7 is going to be available (two separate dealers said they would have one in 454 days). Local shop has a 9.8 in stock. Looks like the highlights are carbon wheels, cranks, and stem/bar and the suspension change to RS from Fox. May just have to choke down that extra 1k and get this over with

what size are you looking for?

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Hi, I am particularly interested in this bike but wanted a more enduro geometry/suspension lightweight ebike. I was wondering if you ended up using the 27.5" wheel in the back, and if you did do you know how it affected the geometry, would the head tube angle be closer to 64 in this case, how does it affect pedal strikes?
I do not know how it affected the geometry. I never rode it with 29” rear wheel. This bike is much longer and slacker than anything else I’ve ever ridden. I really don’t have much to compare it to for you. I will say that it took me a few rides to get comfortable descending, but after 4 rides, it is really coming alive for me. I do think I like the mullet setup, but need more time on it.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
They had some UK Fuel EXe’s in stock at the Trek store in Bracknell when I popped in last week if anyone’s still looking.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles