Fuel EXe so who's ordered the Trek Fuel EXe?

Aikone

May 28, 2021
UK
I miss the 18.5" M/L size. Being 178cm / 5"10, website says L while dealer recommends M. If you're around that height, which size did you order?

At 177 and 769mm saddle height I ride ML in my Fuel, the Rail, Allant+ & Stache are all L though to get the saddle height without a daft length seatpost which I’d need on an M.

OldnSlow

Dec 31, 2021
New Zealand
Who will get there first for a 50-60nm motor in an enduro frame? It seems to be what many are hanging out for. Transition have drawn their line in the sand, but will Orbea, Spec or someone else deliver first?
Check out NOX Epium. NOX have form with their Fazua Ride 50 powered Helium enduro bike and the Epium is a new carbon frame running the Fazua Ride 60 with the larger battery. I have two Ride 50 powered bikes, a Lapierre E-Zesty and a Look E765 and for a rider who doesn't want the motor to take over the ride experience its a great alternative to FF. Fazua's backup and support has been exemplary and the reliability of the Ride 50 seems at least as good as the best e-bikes from the larger manufacturers. A slightly torquier motor with, importantly, a bigger battery capacity looks like the sweet spot for my needs. More choice is a good thing!

Apr 27, 2022
UK
I’ve just ordered one. 9.8XT. Size Large. Deep Smoke.
No idea when it’s going to arrive.
Ordered from Blazing Bikes👌
Bought my Rail from them, good bunch of guys. They drove 300 miles to my house to hand deliver the bike and take me through everything on it, all part of the service. Outstanding.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I miss the 18.5" M/L size. Being 178cm / 5"10, website says L while dealer recommends M. If you're around that height, which size did you order?

I am 5’9”. Per Trek, I am exactly between the medium and large. I am bummed they didn’t do M/L as that has always been the perfect size for me. I test road both the medium and large at the same time. I went with the large. Both felt good and it was a really hard decision to make. I think either will work. I just felt a little more comfortable on the
large, but also know the medium would be a little more playful. I am going to run mine with a 160 mm fork and mullet with a shorter stem. I think that will liven up the bike and make up for the large frame size. All the parts to do this are at my LBS ready to go on the bike this week. I will report back. .

TorAtle

Aug 4, 2018
OSLO
Thanks for the input on sizing. I ended up ordering a large. The reach in low is 11mm more than my large Rise. I'll adjust with a shorter stem if necessary.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Who will get there first for a 50-60nm motor in an enduro frame? It seems to be what many are hanging out for. Transition have drawn their line in the sand, but will Orbea, Spec or someone else deliver first?

Forrestal have the Siryon. Spech have the KenevoSL. 170 travel bikes.

Gordon

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Thanks for the input on sizing. I ended up ordering a large. The reach in low is 11mm more than my large Rise. I'll adjust with a shorter stem if necessary.

I just sold a large Rise to get the EXe. The rise was really comfortable. I am sure the EXe will be a great fit, especially with some minor adjustments.

CrashMaster

Aug 15, 2022
Sacramento, CA
I was curious how did you choose the Fuel Exe say over the Rail? I'm also a first time mtb-er and trying to decide whether the Rail or Exe is more fitting. How does Exe do on mid to steep climbs? Any issues with the new 1st gen? I've hard there were some rattling issues and hardware timing out. Thanks for your insights!
I really liked the idea of an eMTB that looked, felt and sounded like a regular MTB... The EXe is lighter, quieter and smaller than the Rail which is ultimately why I went with the EXe. The Rail has a LOT more power but it's louder, heavier, bigger and I thought the power delivery wasn't as smooth or as natural as the EXe (the extra power also makes it more noticeable). The EXe can add about 300watts when going up hills which is enough for me but I wouldn't want to try to keep up with strong, riders on a full power bike (like the rail) going up hill... They will be able to climb much faster. I haven't had any issues with mine yet, but I still have less than 200 miles on mines so far.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
I've ordered one. I did have a Rise Alloy H30 on order, but I just changed it to the EXe 9.7 this morning. The shop actually has it sitting there, I've just got to rustle up the rest of the cash.

I've always be staunchly in the full fat camp. But I've come to accept that a lot of our trails just do not challenge a 160mm+ Enduro bike. And when bikes are full fat weight, I really don't want it to be shorter travel (been there, done that). The net result has been I've ended up losing enthusiasm for the full fats I've had in the past, getting over just shuttling the small number of black trails we have. So it's time to try something different.

I'm hoping this can breath some new life into trail riding for me, into playing on the trail, and working up to some decent fitness while having some fun.

four_seven

Sep 1, 2022
Wellington, New Zealand
I'm the same as Zed, had an Orbea Rise H30 on order but that was going to be another 3 months away and I was more interested in the H15 spec but that was more unavailable. Picked up a Trek Fuel EXe 9.8 two days ago, haven't given it an off-road shake down yet but I'm commuting with it (with a 22 month old toddler in a front seat) and it's been great.

I haven't owned or even ridden full fat ebikes before, so I was more interested in the mid-power, light weight category which feel closer to a mountain bike. It's a NZ Fuel EXe so I'll be watching the motor closely, but so far it's behaving well, and I really can't hear it even in boost mode.

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
The amount of content out on YouTube for this bike is amazing. I'm not sure I can remember quite this much hype for a new bike, though maybe some of the Levo/SLs have and I just wasn't looking.

Lots of rave reviews. Lots of really passionate rave reviews.

The silent motor factor is just huge I think, something completely new, and a major draw for myself.

The webinar from Trek is even up there, pretty cool if worth a look if you haven't seen it.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
I've always be staunchly in the full fat camp. But I've come to accept that a lot of our trails just do not challenge a 160mm+ Enduro bike. And when bikes are full fat weight, I really don't want it to be shorter travel (been there, done that). The net result has been I've ended up losing enthusiasm for the full fats I've had in the past, getting over just shuttling the small number of black trails we have. So it's time to try something different.

I'm hoping this can breath some new life into trail riding for me, into playing on the trail, and working up to some decent fitness while having some fun.
I think you will love it, after nearly 3 years on full fat bosch bikes you have hit the nail on the head, the reality of my trails are xc, the full fat bikes are just to much. Most of my riding consisted of eco and tour, accumulating in 70% battery remaining.

I've been lugging around a full fat 25kg bike for to long.

I couldn't wait for the trek to appear in the shops so purchased a carbon rise, what a bike, more than enough for my environment and more than enough when I venture away on holiday.

Let us no how you get on when it arrives (y)

Lifting your bike over gates and styles makes you become a self righteous prick, and you stand there for a few moments in self gratitude and justification of your new purchase .

Reactions: Zed

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Give it a year or two and so-called FF and lightweight eBikes will merge.
Well, if we could have FF type power in a mid weight then that would imply midweight power in a light-weight. I kind of think there's always going to be the driver of "light and like-a-non-e-bike" for regular trails and then "heavy hitting enduro shuttle" for gnarly stuff. And that's fine with me. I'll have both thanks. And hopefully they both keep getting lighter and with more capacity.

addthebadd

Sep 7, 2022
Wales, UK
I've ordered a 9.5 in Hex Blue from Blazing Bikes. Currently saying early November for delivery, was early October when I ordered. I'm also getting the range extender and the InvisFrame wrap. I understand that Blazing Bikes provide the bikes to InvisiFrame for making templates.

hilbil-E-bikr

Sep 7, 2021
Alabama USA
For those that have recently ordered an exe in the US. What kind of wait times for delivery have you been given? I’m going by my LBS today to see the eta on a 9.7 or 9.8.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
For those that have recently ordered an exe in the US. What kind of wait times for delivery have you been given? I’m going by my LBS today to see the eta on a 9.7 or 9.8.
I went into my LBS and checked their allocation. They had several already coming in. If I was to order, they told me it would likely be January or later before it would be built and delivered. I went with an allocated bike. I placed a deposit in late July or early August ( I forget exactly). I had the bike by 8/29. Way quicker than ordering.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Not so sure on that. I personally think the divide will stay around the same with both types getting lighter as battery tech continues to evolve. Lets revisit in a year or two :)

It seems likely that motors and particularly batteries will become lighter faster than the rest of bike components thus weight differences between FF and 'Lite' eBikes will slowly be eroded..

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

dajimmers

Aug 8, 2022
Marquette, MI USA
Ordered an allocated 9.7 in late July. Initial expected date was first week of August. It has been pushed back multiple times, but currently ETA is next week... we'll see. My shop had other allocated bikes scheduled for Sept (9.7s) and then Jan/Feb (9.8, maybe 9.5). No idea of timeline for new orders but likely not before winter. This is Michigan, FYI.

Ribinrobin

Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
Ordered a 9.5 from the main dealer here two days ago, they predict november delivery. As a SL fan ive always wanted a quiet motor, and this seems to be what ive been waiting for. Making my own build (lyrik ultimate 160/rockshox SD ultimate, DT swiss wheels hope brakes etc) worked out cheaper and better specced than most the top end models, especially seeing i own most the parts already. I Went XL on this one, at 6,2 im always between L and XL and have tended to ride Large, my current levo gen 3 is a large and feels to small really (477 reach) after buying a normal bike with 500mm reach feel alot more comfortable.

BikingBad

Sep 6, 2022
USA
I’ve just ordered one. 9.8XT. Size Large. Deep Smoke.
No idea when it’s going to arrive.
Ordered from Blazing Bikes👌
Exact same model, color, size I plan to order. Just need to pull the trigger but made difficult with reports of motor issues.

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Exact same model, color, size I plan to order. Just need to pull the trigger but made difficult with reports of motor issues.
I've got one on order I should be picking up next week. Loads of people don't have issues with the motor. Hopefully I'm one of them :)

Doesn't look like Gen 2 Levo failure rates to me. 🤔

addthebadd

Sep 7, 2022
Wales, UK
I have just switched my order from a 9.5 to a 9.7 from my LBS. I was in a pre-order queue for the 9.5 but when I popped into my LBS they had a 9.7 due in for the beginning of October so I jumped. They say it in picking, so may arrive even earlier. I'm quite happy with the switch it looks a more sensible spec.

grock

Jul 15, 2022
I have a line on a EXE, could even pick it up today if I want it, but so nervous that the new Specialized bike is going to be better.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles