Fuel EXe so who's ordered the Trek Fuel EXe?

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
There is also some kind of sliding scale of detrimental riding experiences when it comes to weight. I think sub 17.5KG introduces way too many compromises (paper thin tyres, small rotors, XC wheelsets) that provide almost no significant benefit and many disadvanteges for most riders.
I'm 56, I have ridden MTB since 1994 when I bought a Santa Cruz Tazmon, I've ridden and races most things since, way back then I could only dream of the choices available to us now but personally having owned the Levo, Shuttle (original), Simpson, Cube, SC Bullet, I much prefer the lighter version of an assisted bike as it suits my style of natural trails over bikeparks where some of the heavier options belong and are built for.

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
The 9.8 XT spec of the trek EXe for the price point is what clinched it for me. Carbon bars, rims, great brakes. From what I have seen so far on other similar bikes, the trek spec for price is better.

makes me wonder where the new Spesh price point will be and their usually poor component Specifications? (I’m sure you will be telling us soon !!)
For sure. $8700 with carbon wheels is hard to beat. Though it should have a Lyrik Ultimate. 10,000 for the Pivot X01 build and it has a GX cassette and KMC chain. Really Pivot? Cmon now!

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I'm 56, I have ridden MTB since 1994 when I bought a Santa Cruz Tazmon, I've ridden and races most things since, way back then I could only dream of the choices available to us now but personally having owned the Levo, Shuttle (original), Simpson, Cube, SC Bullet, I much prefer the lighter version of an assisted bike as it suits my style of natural trails over bikeparks where some of the heavier options belong and are built for.
For sure! What I’m saying is that with the lightweights, there is a sweet spot in weight to performance. How light is too light? I wouldn’t want to go under 17.5 ish, id break everything (and it’s also exponentially more expensive to go super super light)

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
For the majority of us riding these bikes as intended trail, all mountain, blue/black runs, 40-42 pounds is the sweet spot with still being light and agile. You cannot get these SL bikes under 39 pounds with a piggy back shock, fox 36/Lyrik, 1700-2000g wheels, 1,000-1,200g tires and 4 pot brakes. Add almost 1lb for a coil. This 36-37 pounds isn't very realistic for how these bikes are intended to be ridden and just a marketing ploy. The Pivot X01 build will weigh around 41lbs in size large with pedals just as my M10 Orbea Rise weighs. Or probably closer to 42 lbs with that boat anchor GX cassette.

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
40-42 pounds is the sweet spot with still being light
Yeah man I think this is the sweet spot too, 40-42lbs works out 18kg-19kg, which is still noticeably lighter and feels significantly different compared to a full fat (which are slowly adding on more pounds as the demands for bigger batteries grow).

There will be some riders that will want flyweights (36lb / 16.5kg), but I'm really not sure what (if any) benefits they bring, other than paper stats?

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Yeah man I think this is the sweet spot too, 40-42lbs works out 18kg-19kg, which is still noticeably lighter and feels significantly different compared to a full fat (which are slowly adding on more pounds as the demands for bigger batteries grow).

There will be some riders that will want flyweights (36lb / 16.5kg), but I'm really not sure what (if any) benefits they bring, other than paper stats?
Depends on person and their chosen discipline, Nino Schurter , multiple XC wotld champion will no doubt show that a lightweight eMTB is the way to go, when someone delivers the quiver bike, one to do everything, then I'm in, until such time we have choices and opinions, a middle aged man on a full fat will forever say that full fat is the way to go, the opposite can be said for a xc whippet on an slmtb.

Moe Ped

Apr 19, 2020
Perth Australia
You also need to take into account support and warranty when making any purchase decision, the Trek for me seemed the best of what’s available here in Aus at the moment.

‘these bikes really should have a 3 year warranty on the motor and electrical as a minimum, I have found Trek warranty to be very good.

I really like the Trek and the non removable battery in the pivot would have ruled it out for me, already ordered a spare battery for the Exe.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
You also need to take into account support and warranty when making any purchase decision, the Trek for me seemed the best of what’s available here in Aus at the moment.

‘these bikes really should have a 3 year warranty on the motor and electrical as a minimum, I have found Trek warranty to be very good.

I really like the Trek and the non removable battery in the pivot would have ruled it out for me, already ordered a spare battery for the Exe.

Specialized are also really good here. The worst I've seen is Shimano. A few instances of refusing warranty on *modified* motors that haven't been. I hate that lying sneaky underhanded bullshit from companies. Won't be buying a Shimano bike again.

Gordon

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
Anyone know if Trek UK have any demo days lined up? I love the look of the Fuel EXe, but am loathe to put an order in for that much, on a bike I have only seen pictures of. Dropping £3,600 on Vitus from CRC is one thing, dropping twice that on a new release I've not seen in the flesh, is a whole different ball game...

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Anyone know if Trek UK have any demo days lined up? I love the look of the Fuel EXe, but am loathe to put an order in for that much, on a bike I have only seen pictures of. Dropping £3,600 on Vitus from CRC is one thing, dropping twice that on a new release I've not seen in the flesh, is a whole different ball game...
I'm pretty sure that any Trek dealer would be happy for you to demo the bike providing they have a demo.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
My 9.5 Fuel EXe will be at my LBS on 8/29. They are going to fully custom build the bike, so it is getting stripped to the frame before I take a ride. I should have it sometime in early September, done and ready to hit the trail.

Build specs:

Fuel EXe 9.5 in Matte Dnister Black

- X01 AXS derailleur and shifter
- XX1 Eagle cassette
- XX1 Eagle Chain
- I9 Hydra Hubs
- Nox Farlow; 27.5 rear wheel / 29 front wheel (gonna run it mullet)
- DT Swiss Competition Spokes
- Deity Bladerunner pedals
- Deity Apex 35 stem
- Deity Skywire 35 mm handlebars
- E13 E-spec carbon 160 mm cranks
- Shimano XT 8120 brakes
- Bike Yoke Revive dropper post, 160 mm
- Fox Float X2 shock
- Fox 36 Grip 2 Performance Elite 160 mm fork
- Specialized Power Arc Pro seat
- SRAM HS2 disc brake rotors - 200 mm
- Bridgestone Kryptotal RE 27.5 (rear tire); Kryptotal FR 29 (front tire)
- Lizard Skin Peatty lock-on grips
- Jagwire braided cables
- Trek Range Extender

Can‘t wait to take this bike for a spin.

FB39155A-9D99-448C-B8C9-7F195C812A19.jpeg

Last edited:

Sebov

Jul 24, 2022
Bavaria
Gonna wait for the Slash-e… bought the Levo SL, customized almost everything including Cascade link for more descending capability and wanted immediately a Kenevo SL almost a year later… don‘t want to do that again.

Last edited:

Wooders

Mar 28, 2019
Oxford
Gonna wait for the Slash-e… bought the Levo SL, customized almost everything inclouding Cascade link for more descending capability and wanted immediately a Kenevo SL almost a year later… don‘t want to do that again.
That's my thinking too, although I'll be really interested to hear how an EXe with the Lyrik set to 160mm rides too.

The Transition Relay is good on paper too.

Sebov

Jul 24, 2022
Bavaria
That's my thinking too, although I'll be really interested to hear how an EXe with the Lyrik set to 160mm rides too.

The Transition Relay is good on paper too.
Relay is a dream combo. Except for your wallet. Wait for the official prices 😉

dajimmers

Aug 8, 2022
Marquette, MI USA
Have had a 9.7 medium fade on order- actually one the shop was allocated but we put our name on it- since July. Ship date from neighboring Wisconsin was Aug 1, then Aug 8, then Aug 22, now Aug 29. Still patiently waiting but it snows here as early as October- hoping to get some good rides in this year still!

Darkyhs

Oct 25, 2020
Lisbon, Portugal
Yes this is still the plan. Waiting for parts!
Would you also consider testing the bike with a 205x62.5mm or even a 65mm? This bike is almost perfect in my opinion :) But it lacks just a tiny bit of travel. Personally, I would mullet it, with a 160MM fork and if possible 150+ rear travel :)
Otherwise waiting to see what the Big S will bring out as an answer to this beast!

Richridesmtb

Jan 23, 2022
Australia
Who will get there first for a 50-60nm motor in an enduro frame? It seems to be what many are hanging out for. Transition have drawn their line in the sand, but will Orbea, Spec or someone else deliver first?

MLJumpman

Aug 25, 2022
The OC, California
I picked up a Fuel Exe 9.7 a couple weeks ago and have been enjoying it with every ride. I'm a first time eMTBer but let me know if you have any questions.
I was curious how did you choose the Fuel Exe say over the Rail? I'm also a first time mtb-er and trying to decide whether the Rail or Exe is more fitting. How does Exe do on mid to steep climbs? Any issues with the new 1st gen? I've hard there were some rattling issues and hardware timing out. Thanks for your insights!

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Just went to my bike shop. They confirmed my EXe is on the truck and will be delivered on Monday. I went with the 9.5 because I am having them strip it down to the bare frame so I can have it built exactly like I want. I love the Matte Dnister Black (the best color available in my opinion). They will add frame protection, then build the bike. All my parts have already shown up at the shop. I should have it built and ready to ride by next weekend. I can’t wait to throw my legs over the saddle.

AMbmb2168

Aug 9, 2022
Canada
I ordered a 9.5 from the local dealer as soon as they became available for order in July.
Delivery day was to be Sept 15
I found out today it will not be arriving until November !
Mountain biking season will be done by then here in Manitoba.

I have a Rail 5 I purchased this spring (and a Giant Trance) but I was looking forward to having a lighter ebike.
I don’t use the full power of the Rail nor go on rides longer than 30k. Most of the time I ride using the “eco” setting. It’s a brute to load in and out of my truck.

TorAtle

Aug 4, 2018
OSLO
I miss the 18.5" M/L size. Being 178cm / 5"10, website says L while dealer recommends M. If you're around that height, which size did you order?

dajimmers

Aug 8, 2022
Marquette, MI USA
I miss the 18.5" M/L size. Being 178cm / 5"10, website says L while dealer recommends M. If you're around that height, which size did you order?
I’m as tall as you and ordered a M. Most of my bikes are a bit bigger, but this bike is “meant” to be primarily my wife’s and she’s a solid M, but I’m also looking to have something a little more playful and quicker handling. I did order a slightly longer stem we’ll try out after our initial shakedown. Bike is supposed to be here this week so fingers crossed that it fits ok.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles