Shock Trunnion bolt alternatives? +warning to others

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
Hey all,

I needed to remove the shock on my new cube stereo for inspection.

When trying to remove the trunnion bolts I discovered they where extremely tight.
Eventually I managed to get one out and found they are thread locked in, and they made from alloy and not steel.

When trying to remove the other bolt the head started to round out.

Very luckily I managed to remove the bolt with the help of some gentle heat but the bolt is now toast and needs replacing.

This maybe common knowledge to some but a warning to anyone that's not done this before.
If a bolt is extremely tight when it shouldn't be (14nm in this case) it's likely had a dose of thread lock.
Don't go for anything bigger than an allen key when trying to remove it, if you try to use a ratchet you're sure to round it out.
If you're straining the allen key trying to undo the bolt stop and Use a bit of gentle heat to weaken the thread lock before trying to undo it again.

A hair dryer may be able to get it hot enough, be very careful with a heat gun as you could quickly damage the paint.

In my case I have a small pencil torch which gives out a very accurate hot flame, which I directed into the head of the bolt.

s0mNaSf.jpg

With a bit of patience and luck it came out.

A liberal amount of thread lock was used on the bolt.

nzEElrl.jpg

I believe I have found the correct bolt to replace it from Cube but I'm not 100% sure.
It's not coming from the UK and I have no Eta for when it will arrive.

Does anyone know where to get hold of one in the UK?

This is the bolt in question

stejWpI.jpg

1uuxudl.jpg

In the meantime is there an alternative bolt I could use to get me out riding again.

I thought it would be easy to get hold of another bolt but it's proving tricky!

After looking into many different bolts the closest I can find is a partially threaded flange head titanium bolt.
something like this

s-l500.jpg

The head is slightly smaller than the original bolt at 17mm but I can use a 20mm washer to make that correct.

I'd also have to get a slightly longer bolt and shorten it to get the correct unthreaded length. This should be easy to do, my main concern is using a titanium bolt where an alloy bolt was used.
Is this an issue?

Lastly if there are any better options I'd welcome them greatly.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Hey all,

I needed to remove the shock on my new cube stereo for inspection.

When trying to remove the trunnion bolts I discovered they where extremely tight.
Eventually I managed to get one out and found they are thread locked in, and they made from alloy and not steel.

When trying to remove the other bolt the head started to round out.

Very luckily I managed to remove the bolt with the help of some gentle heat but the bolt is now toast and needs replacing.

This maybe common knowledge to some but a warning to anyone that's not done this before.
If a bolt is extremely tight when it shouldn't be (14nm in this case) it's likely had a dose of thread lock.
Don't go for anything bigger than an allen key when trying to remove it, if you try to use a ratchet you're sure to round it out.
If you're straining the allen key trying to undo the bolt stop and Use a bit of gentle heat to weaken the thread lock before trying to undo it again.

A hair dryer may be able to get it hot enough, be very careful with a heat gun as you could quickly damage the paint.

In my case I have a small pencil torch which gives out a very accurate hot flame, which I directed into the head of the bolt.

s0mNaSf.jpg

With a bit of patience and luck it came out.

A liberal amount of thread lock was used on the bolt.

nzEElrl.jpg

I believe I have found the correct bolt to replace it from Cube but I'm not 100% sure.
It's not coming from the UK and I have no Eta for when it will arrive.

Does anyone know where to get hold of one in the UK?

This is the bolt in question

stejWpI.jpg

1uuxudl.jpg

In the meantime is there an alternative bolt I could use to get me out riding again.

I thought it would be easy to get hold of another bolt but it's proving tricky!

After looking into many different bolts the closest I can find is a partially threaded flange head titanium bolt.
something like this

s-l500.jpg

The head is slightly smaller than the original bolt at 17mm but I can use a 20mm washer to make that correct.

I'd also have to get a slightly longer bolt and shorten it to get the correct unthreaded length. This should be easy to do, my main concern is using a titanium bolt where an alloy bolt was used.
Is this an issue?

Lastly if there are any better options I'd welcome them greatly.

Cheers.

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
Thanks Mike (y)
I believe that's what I've ordered but I'm not sure how long it will take to arrive.
Hoping to get out on the bike asap so was after a quick fix until it comes.

Cheers.

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
A quick fix until the new bolt arrives.

I drilled two blind holes in the bolt and knocked up a rough pin spanner.

YESTori.jpg

Hopefully I can tighten it with the pin spanner and there is just enough bite left in the hex to torque it up.
I wont be using any thread lock but it should only be for a ride or two, at least I can get out on the bike.

This is also another good method for removing a stuck bolt before trying a screw extractor (y)

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Its only ally so you could use a hex head bolt of the right size to cut a thread into the knackered allen ...........then araldite it in. Torqueing and removal would then be possible with a hex bit.

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
I did think of glueing a hex bit into the bolt but not sure how it would hold up under torque.
I could still do this as well, it's going to be the most Frankenstein bolt ever 😆

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
Just as a heads up to everyone else

I believe cubebikesale.com is a scam site, stupidly I didn't check the rest of the website, I'm normally much more cautious when ordering stuff, I feel a fool.

Only other place I can find a replacement bolt in stock is bike-discount.de
someone reassure me these guys are legit 😒

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie

I believe cubebikesale.com is a scam site, stupidly I didn't check the rest of the website, I'm normally much more cautious when ordering stuff, I feel a fool.

Yeah, They're fine just spent lots with them but the whole eu/brexit thing is a pain. Also there is a minimum spend with them from the uk.

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
Cheers Mike, I'll send them a message.

bike-discount.de has been put on the back burner, postage is more than the bolt itself :confused:

jackamo

Subscriber
May 25, 2023
UK

CRC do a replacement bolt .
It's a standard m10xm1 thread .
All trunni
Cheers Mike, I'll send them a message.

bike-discount.de has been put on the back burner, postage is more than the bolt itself :confused:
CRC/wiggle have trunnion bolts .
They're all standard thread 10mmx1mm.
They should do the job .

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
Thanks for the info Jack.

Are you referring to the Vitus trunnion bolt kit?

I had seen it but the reviews state it's a slightly different size to my cube bolt.

17mm long as opposed to 20mm, and a head diameter of 21mm as opposed to 20mm

I don't know if these size differences would cause any issues or if it would work fine.
This maybe the best I can get with out spending a fortune as m10 bolts with a 1mm pitch are pretty non existent.

They also sell a two bolt kit for the e-sommet. But there are no dimensions listed at all for these 😩

Cheers.

jackamo

Subscriber
May 25, 2023
UK
Thanks for the info Jack.

Are you referring to the Vitus trunnion bolt kit?

I had seen it but the reviews state it's a slightly different size to my cube bolt.

17mm long as opposed to 20mm, and a head diameter of 21mm as opposed to 20mm

I don't know if these size differences would cause any issues or if it would work fine.
This maybe the best I can get with out spending a fortune as m10 bolts with a 1mm pitch are pretty non existent.

They also sell a two bolt kit for the e-sommet. But there are no dimensions listed at all for these 😩

I bought a 10mx1m top and die set ... cut off the thread and put the die down it .

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I did think of glueing a hex bit into the bolt but not sure how it would hold up under torque.
I could still do this as well, it's going to be the most Frankenstein bolt ever 😆
If you get really stuck, a torx bit works well. Mine is still like this 2 years later and works fine :)

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
I’ve got Cube parts from Infinity Cycles

Might be worth a try, they keep mech hangers and swing arm bearing kits in stock so may have what you’re after 🤞

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
Thanks beaker I'll give them a try 👍

Cheers Jack, getting an M10x1.0 die was my next option.
I've found some titanium partially threaded bolts that I could modify.
Only difference is the head diameter is slightly smaller so I'd have to use a 20mm washer under it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles