Sherwood Pines/NCB off-piste Guided Ride Sun 30th Jul'23

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Meet at 10:00 am ready-to-ride, Sun 30th Jul by the side of the cafe veranda, overlooking the big field.
Edit: The start time has been brought forward 30 mins to 10am.

The postcode for Sherwood Pines is NG21 9JL, but ignore the sat nav when you turn off the public road and just follow the signs for the car park. Your reg no will be scanned on the way in and you pay £8 at the pay station before you leave. Don't forget or you will get stopped at the barrier, get blocked in and have to walk all the way back to pay! (And then back again).

Today @myapes and I put together a circuit that is about 19 miles long (plus any sessioning). The route is different to previous rides although some sections are common. The vast majority of the obstacles are avoidable, the jumps are all roll-able if you prefer. If you don't fancy even the alternative route then do what I did at first, walk the bike down the worst bits! Usually, the camaraderie of supportive riding buddies gives everyone a skills boost! If you are comfortable with a red trail anywhere then you should survive this. (I was going to say "will" survive this, but @Ashley M and @DaveDog didn't, they are OK now though).

For those of you who have already been to Pines and done the regular trails, you won't see much you recognise. A few of you will have been off-piste before with @myapes and I and have seen some of the more interesting and stretching stuff there is. Yes, there is some fast-flowing singletrack, but also lots of technical stuff. Anything that is tricky has a way around it. Nobody will have to ride outside what they are comfortable with just to stay with the group. Because it is that time of year there is a lot of brambles, nettles and bracken. But most of the really bad stuff has been cleared by @myapes and me so there is a hole through the forest that is as tall as me and as wide as him. :)
If you bring bare legs, expect to collect some scars. If it is warm and humid on the day, you may wish that you had used some insect repellent.

Eyewear is strongly recommended, helmets mandatory; there are a lot of low hanging branches. If you have ridden the red at Pines before but are nervous about the thought of "going off-piste" then don't be. I almost always stop at the trickier sections to let riders have a look at it first, until I get the feeling for the skill level of the individuals. But in the end the choice is yours whether you tackle any particular feature. @myapes and I are not professional guides and we are not charging for our time, this is meant to be a fun day out.

The off-piste trails seem to be maintained solely by @myapes and me so there is a lot of shattered wood about, plus the brambles. Those without tubeless tyres and sealant, come prepared. For a good part of the ride, we will be leaving the Sherwood Pines area and into the area owned by the National Coal Board (for the “EMTB” section). The NCB seem to neither know nor care about who rides there, but they don't look after it either.

@myapes and I have done quite a few of these rideouts in the Pines area and judging by the feedback, they have always been good fun. Allow 3.5 - 4 hours as there is always a lot of piss-taking and general chit- chat taking place. Search in the Rideouts section or check the bottom of this page for links to previous outings.

There is a full-service bike shop on site, plus café and a very good toilet block, loads of parking available.

PS: A recurring concern is that some of you may get lost due to a failure to follow a simple rule "Look out for the guy behind". There are no signposts, many sharp turns into bracken and the trails are hidden, there are multiple cross roads and the trails are not worn in yet, so the one you want could be any of them. Make sure the rider behind makes the turn!
Despite that simple rule, on previous rides we have lost members of the group and not found them again for a good 20-25 mins. (The record is losing half the group within five minutes of me explaining the rule). :ROFLMAO: If more than 6 riders turn up, there will be frequent headcounts.

Please trust me on this; if you get lost in the new areas, there is a good chance that you will have to find your own way back. Those who are not lost will have to decide how long to spend looking for you. So be nice to everyone you meet! :)

Last edited:

Davvee

Jul 18, 2021
Mansfield
Will be great to catch up with you and
@myapes… Put my name down 😊 my birthdays on the 25th so call this my birthday ride out haha. Looking forward to it!

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
i'm a maybe, not got anything else lined up that i know of... yet. start time (more so finish time) could be an issue for me.

Last edited:

weiran

Jul 8, 2023
UK
Hi Steve

I only just joined this forum and this sounds like a great idea I’d love to join. I’ve never been off piste around Sherwood despite being my local trails.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
NOTE: Start time changed to 10am

One of our number asked for an earlier start. I asked a few others (2 from the definites and 1 from the maybes) and the consensus was "who cares!" :D So 10am it is. The OP has been changed.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Just a prompt, to make sure that you have noticed the change to the start time. Now 10am, by the Cafe veranda, right hand side overlooking the big field where the concerts take place.

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
So my bosch motor is toast and being sent away to be looked at/replaced on tuesday. If people aren't going to be too daft with pace i might still just tag along on my normal bike until i can't keep up any longer and i'll make my way back to the car. not like pines is full of elevation.

Davvee

Jul 18, 2021
Mansfield
I'm still up for it :) I've just fixed a squeaking headset and done the Zebs charger 3 and airshaft upgrades. Looking forward to seeing how well the upgrades work on the ebike with the extra weight.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
So my bosch motor is toast and being sent away to be looked at/replaced on tuesday. If people aren't going to be too daft with pace i might still just tag along on my normal bike until i can't keep up any longer and i'll make my way back to the car. not like pines is full of elevation.
As I said in the OP, we stop frequently for headcounts. I agree that Pines is not the steepest, but it has its challenges.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Dry all day today (Fri). Forecast to be dry all day on Sat as well. The forecast is for a dry morning but some showers in the mid-afternoon on Sunday. TBH, could do without the showers, but they will be a small problem in the woods.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The weather forecast has improved! :D

It was dry all day Fri and Sat, f/cast dry overnight and then dry all morning. From noon it will be damp but "no precipitation expected". :love:

Davvee

Jul 18, 2021
Mansfield
I should be there for about 9:45. Going to have a look around the bike shop first. My bikes still squeaking so apologies for that.

Davvee

Jul 18, 2021
Mansfield
Crank arm is back on, looking at my old ones and ones on the internet, they look perfectly fine so im just guessing its come loose. I've put some red loctite on the pinch bolts and 14nm on the torque wrench. I'll keep an eye on it, hopefully they stay put now :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles