Sherwood Pines off-piste ride Sun 31st Jul’22 – Fun day out!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Meet at 10:30 am ready-to-ride, Sun 31st Jul by the side of the cafe veranda, overlooking the big field.

For those of you who have already been to Pines and done the regular trails, you won't see much you recognise. A few of you have been with me off-piste before and have seen some of the more interesting and stretching stuff there is. Yes, there is some fast-flowing singletrack, but also lots of technical stuff. Anything that is tricky has a way around it. Nobody will have to ride outside what they are comfortable with just to stay with the group. Because it is that time of year there is a lot of brambles, nettles and bracken. But most of the really bad stuff has been cleared by @myapes and me. So there is a hole through the forest that is as tall as me and as wide as him. :) Eyewear is strongly recommended, helmets mandatory; there are a lot of low hanging branches.

Today @myapes and I put together a circuit that is about 22 miles long (plus any sessioning). It has new bits that I have not guided before and the route is also different to previous rides. The vast majority of the obstacles are avoidable, the jumps are all roll-able if you prefer. If you don't fancy even the alternative route then do what I did at first, walk the bike down the worst bits! Usually, the camaraderie of supportive riding buddies gives everyone a skills boost! If you are comfortable with a red trail anywhere then you should survive this. (I was going to say "will" survive this, but @Ashley M and @DaveDog didn't, they are OK now though).

I have done quite a few of these rideouts in the Pines area and judging by the feedback, they have always been good fun. Allow 3.5 - 4 hours as there is always a lot of piss-taking and general chit- chat taking place.

The off-piste trails are only maintained by @myapes and me and, we assume, a few others unknown to us, so there is a lot of shattered wood about, plus the brambles. Those without tubeless tyres and sealant, come prepared. For a good part of the ride, we will be leaving the Sherwood Pines area and into the area owned by the National Coal Board (for the “EMTB” section). The NCB seem to neither know nor care about who rides there, but they don't look after it either.

The postcode for Sherwood Pines is NG21 9JL, but ignore the sat nav when you turn off the public road and just follow the signs for the car park. Your reg no will be scanned on the way in and you pay £8 at the pay station before you leave. Don't forget or you will get stopped at the barrier, get blocked in and have to walk all the way back to pay! (And then back again).

There is a full-service bike shop on site, plus café and a very good toilet block, loads of parking available.

PS: A recurring concern is that some of you may get lost due to a failure to follow a simple rule "Look out for the guy behind". There are no signposts, many sharp turns into bracken and the trails are hidden, there are multiple cross roads and the trails are not worn in yet, so the one you want could be any of them. Make sure the rider behind makes the turn!
Despite that simple rule, on previous rides we have lost members of the group and not found them again for a good 20-25 mins. (The record is losing half the group within five minutes of me explaining the rule). :giggle:

Please trust me on this; if you get lost in the new areas, there is a good chance that you will have to find your own way back. Those who are not lost will have to decide how long to spend looking for you. So be nice to everyone you meet! :)

If you bring bare legs, expect to collect some scars. If it is warm and humid on the day, you may wish that you had used some insect repellent.

JetSetDemo

🍦Two Scoops🍦
Patreon
Apr 1, 2018
Ashby de la Zouch
I’m up for this also, enjoyed the last 2 rides with you and the pines crowd.

I am in a Kenevo SL now so hopefully you won’t leave me behind.

one last thing I’m currently using a roof rack to transport the bike whilst I wait for delivery in my new car, is there a height restriction on the car park entrance?

Thanks Demo

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Now we are five definites:

@myapes
@DaveDog
@steve_sordy
@JetSetDemo
@Ontherail

We are getting close to the ideal number for an outing, six. If one of the six is injured then it's two as stretcher bearers and the remaining three to push two bikes each back to the carpark.

1658316676051.gif

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I'm a possible for this, might even bring No2 as she's not been on her Eeb for a while but i am out on Saturday night for a few drinkie poo's. put me down as a maybe.

IainF

Jan 10, 2021
UK
Can't make it as I'm working. Gutted.

Will anyone have a Garmin or such like and be able to post a .gpx of the route.

Failing that, might there be another date for this loop in the not too distant future???

Cheers

Iain

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
There is a competition and a prize (low value, so don't get too excited).

There is a fallen tree at an angle to the trail that someone has worked on to make it easier to ride over. What they have done works well when it's dry, but is still tricky in the wet. As you can see there are at least two approaches. Passing either side is allowable but banned from competition!

The prize goes to the rider who surmounts the obstacle with best style, as voted by the acclaim of the others

log next to burned area.jpeg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Can't make it as I'm working. Gutted.

Will anyone have a Garmin or such like and be able to post a .gpx of the route.

Failing that, might there be another date for this loop in the not too distant future???

Cheers

Iain
@myapes has some sort of tracking device and he may send it to you if you ask him nicely. But I can tell you now that the track looks like a beginner's knitting after the cat has played with it. However, @myapes and I are at Pines at least once/week, so there are lots of opportunities to ride with us. Just ask whenever you are free.
Whatever you get from @myapes, don't post it or the motorbike crowd will ruin the trail.

IainF

Jan 10, 2021
UK
Brilliant, thanks for that.
I should have more time off soon, so I'll get in touch if that's OK.
Looking forward to it.
Cheers
Iain

Steffi

Jun 30, 2022
Nottinghamshire
Meet at 10:30 am ready-to-ride, Sun 31st Jul by the side of the cafe veranda, overlooking the big field.

For those of you who have already been to Pines and done the regular trails, you won't see much you recognise. A few of you have been with me off-piste before and have seen some of the more interesting and stretching stuff there is. Yes, there is some fast-flowing singletrack, but also lots of technical stuff. Anything that is tricky has a way around it. Nobody will have to ride outside what they are comfortable with just to stay with the group. Because it is that time of year there is a lot of brambles, nettles and bracken. But most of the really bad stuff has been cleared by @myapes and me. So there is a hole through the forest that is as tall as me and as wide as him. :) Eyewear is strongly recommended, helmets mandatory; there are a lot of low hanging branches.

Today @myapes and I put together a circuit that is about 22 miles long (plus any sessioning). It has new bits that I have not guided before and the route is also different to previous rides. The vast majority of the obstacles are avoidable, the jumps are all roll-able if you prefer. If you don't fancy even the alternative route then do what I did at first, walk the bike down the worst bits! Usually, the camaraderie of supportive riding buddies gives everyone a skills boost! If you are comfortable with a red trail anywhere then you should survive this. (I was going to say "will" survive this, but @Ashley M and @DaveDog didn't, they are OK now though).

I have done quite a few of these rideouts in the Pines area and judging by the feedback, they have always been good fun. Allow 3.5 - 4 hours as there is always a lot of piss-taking and general chit- chat taking place.

The off-piste trails are only maintained by @myapes and me and, we assume, a few others unknown to us, so there is a lot of shattered wood about, plus the brambles. Those without tubeless tyres and sealant, come prepared. For a good part of the ride, we will be leaving the Sherwood Pines area and into the area owned by the National Coal Board (for the “EMTB” section). The NCB seem to neither know nor care about who rides there, but they don't look after it either.

The postcode for Sherwood Pines is NG21 9JL, but ignore the sat nav when you turn off the public road and just follow the signs for the car park. Your reg no will be scanned on the way in and you pay £8 at the pay station before you leave. Don't forget or you will get stopped at the barrier, get blocked in and have to walk all the way back to pay! (And then back again).

There is a full-service bike shop on site, plus café and a very good toilet block, loads of parking available.

PS: A recurring concern is that some of you may get lost due to a failure to follow a simple rule "Look out for the guy behind". There are no signposts, many sharp turns into bracken and the trails are hidden, there are multiple cross roads and the trails are not worn in yet, so the one you want could be any of them. Make sure the rider behind makes the turn!
Despite that simple rule, on previous rides we have lost members of the group and not found them again for a good 20-25 mins. (The record is losing half the group within five minutes of me explaining the rule). :giggle:

Please trust me on this; if you get lost in the new areas, there is a good chance that you will have to find your own way back. Those who are not lost will have to decide how long to spend looking for you. So be nice to everyone you meet! :)

If you bring bare legs, expect to collect some scars. If it is warm and humid on the day, you may wish that you had used some insect repellent.

Hy Steve, we rode with you and John a few weeks ago. We are interested in the ride on Sunday but can’t confirm until Saturday. You’ll be glad to know my bike was fixed after my slip (just dirt blocking the on off switch) and we now have leg guards 😂

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Hy Steve, we rode with you and John a few weeks ago. We are interested in the ride on Sunday but can’t confirm until Saturday. You’ll be glad to know my bike was fixed after my slip (just dirt blocking the on off switch) and we now have leg guards 😂
I'll put you both down as "maybe".

That was a good day out that we did and I'm glad to hear that your on/off motor was so easily fixed.

JetSetDemo

🍦Two Scoops🍦
Patreon
Apr 1, 2018
Ashby de la Zouch
Sorry chaps I can’t make it now, away for the weekend with the Boss, apparently turning 50 this weekend is more of an event than I expected.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Sorry chaps I can’t make it now, away for the weekend with the Boss, apparently turning 50 this weekend is more of an event than I expected.
Shame on you! (For not realising how big a deal it is).
Tell her how do you expect to remember when she never looks any older? :)
That's a "and with a bound he was free" card.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@myapes and I did a trial run today. We were fine tuning minor deviations to the route to ensure it flows better. We added bits and removed others. We ended up with 21.5 miles plus any sessioning you may choose to do. One of the bits that most people want to repeat at least once is a mile long, others much shorter. We also pruned shrubbery that had mysteriously leaned into the trail since our last visit. If you are taller than me or wider than @myapes you may get scratched, stung, or helmet bashed.

There will be lots of stopping points to get your breath, catch a drink, take a pee, or just to rip the piss out of someone. The objective is to have fun, this not a training run!

The trail has benefited enormously from the recent rain, the dust has gone, the steep climbs are easier and the steep descents are not so scary (ie braking actually works!)

We will be touching parts of the green, blue and red trails, mostly just to get about with maximum efficiency to the parts we actually want to ride. But there are some parts of the blue and red that are fun, so we will be including those.

About half the ride is outside the area known as Sherwood Pines and half the ride inside Pines is off-piste. That's how it feels anyway, I haven't measured it. This is going to be great fun, really looking forward to it.

Steffi

Jun 30, 2022
Nottinghamshire
Sorry we can’t make the ride tomorrow unfortunately. Look forward to riding with you again soon 😀. Going to Dalby Forest soon to see how their trails compare !

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The turn out was six of us.

@myapes @DaveDog @steve_sordy @Ontherail +1 (Neil) @j_s

The light rain that was forecast to be all-day held off, except for one five-minute burst. We could hear it hitting the canopy above, but it never reached us. It was humid though, so it was tee-shirt weather for us all. No injuries, no bad offs, no ripped clothing, a few bramble scratches were the sum total. I took loads of pics, but unusually for me, not many were any good. I got lots of back wheels and blurred bodies though. I will sort out the best and post asap.

@DaveDog won the prize for most stylish tackling of the wet log obstacle. (It was a close-run thing though)

It was a good crowd and we had each met the others at least once before today. We decided by common agreement not to do one section as it is always crap when wet. That meant the trail we rode was just 20 miles of wet and gritty, but it was grippy! I was in the lead for most of the ride, which meant that my fellow riders had all the spiders swept out of the way :eek: and all the wet foliage was swept dry too! :cry:

Photos to follow.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Some pics!
Here are my riding buddies.
Group 5.jpg

From left to right:
@myapes (John), Neil, @j_s (James), @Ontherail (Jim), @DaveDog (Dave)

Here is James trying hard to get up the 10' zig-zag climb with wet roots (and failing).
James climb 1.jpg
James climb 2.jpg

We had a small competition to ride over a fallen tree ramped with wet and bald logs. John and I did not tajke part as we had done it several times. The others could have a look at it and had one attempt only. To the frustration of the cameraman, all did it. But Dave did it with more speed and style than the others and literally took the biscuit!
The winner.jpg

Three shots here of James and Neil climbing out of the fishbowl.
Jim fishbowl climb.jpg

Neil fishbowl climb 1.jpg
Neil fishbowl climb2.jpg

A random shot of John's bike (near) and mine.
Two bikes.jpg

John trying to talk Dave into giving him the biscuit prize.
Dave and John.jpg

Jim, James and Neil, discussing strategy on how to get that biscuit from Dave.
Jim, James, Neil.jpg

Due to my incompetence as a photographer, this is the only shot worth showing of a steep drop. By some sort of cruel irony, it is of John - a professional photographer! You can see how fast he is going by how blurred the image is! :giggle:
John Drop.jpg

Finally, we got back to the cafe area for a breather. Despite the forecast of all-day rain, the place was packed and the only tables we could get were directly underneath the Go-Ape runway, where terrified kids were threatening to wet themselves. A friendly woman took the photo for us.
Group 6.jpg

John, James, Dave, me, Jim, Neil. Thanks guys for a terrific ride out. :p

PS: The reason for the occasional blurred spots (like John and Neil's faces above) is rain drops on the camera lens.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles