Sherwood Pines off-piste Sun 13th Jun'21, 10am

Ashley M

Dec 29, 2020
Derbyshire
Ask any of the team if they thought they had an easy ride.
It wasn’t
D011D955-3AA5-445E-A7D4-0B2DC886A89E.jpeg

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
Pines is flat in the broader context but there are a few select steep bits around the old railyway lines etc that you can use for a bit of fun. It's one of the reasons i don't tend to bother too much going around there on the eMTB if i'm just running the normal red route. Problem is that it's the only trail centre in the area. Cannock chase is roughly 5-6x more enjoyable but requires travelling further, and then you run into the argument of going into the peak district instead.

lap of red for context:
1623665577824.png

Red lap motor on - Mike Seivwright's 8.1 mi bike ride

j_s

Feb 4, 2020
Nottingham
Sorry I didnt make it. Took my 21 month boy on the first ride of his balance bike.
That drop where the incident happened, is that just off the blue and it also has a small drop nearish it on the other side of the track bed Steve?

As others have said, you ride on what you have, Sherwood Pines isn't hilly but it's all we got and for what it is it ain't too bad.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Sorry I didnt make it. Took my 21 month boy on the first ride of his balance bike.
That drop where the incident happened, is that just off the blue and it also has a small drop nearish it on the other side of the track bed Steve?

As others have said, you ride on what you have, Sherwood Pines isn't hilly but it's all we got and for what it is it ain't too bad.
Just off the blue yes, but about 200 yards further up than the one I think you mean (which does have a 5-6' drop almost opposite it). It's about 20 yards off the blue, across corrugated ground. The one that I think you mean is the alternate route for what is now forever to be known as Ashleys' Drop! :)

PS: You can always go on a Pines ride, but you can never replace being with your son on his first ride on his balance bike!! :love: Good choice!

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
Just off the blue yes, but about 200 yards further up than the one I think you mean (which does have a 5-6' drop almost opposite it). It's about 20 yards off the blue, across corrugated ground. The one that I think you mean is the alternate route for what is now forever to be known as Ashleys' Drop! :)

PS: You can always go on a Pines ride, but you can never replace being with your son on his first ride on his balance bike!! :love: Good choice!
alternatively, be there with your son doing ashleys' drop.
1623785889676.png

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
anyone travelling more than an hour would likely be disappointed. but we made do with what we have locally. i like cannock chase, it has just enough elevation to make it interesting, but as with most places repitition breeds complacency.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
My favourite thing about Cannock Chase is the drive home...

Major Stare

May 5, 2021
Nottinghamshire
Sorry I missed this. Sundays aren't a good day as the eldest has rugby. Looks like you had a good time, speedy recovery for Ashley.

Being new to MTB riding (6 months) and eMTB riding (4 weeks), I have been using Sherwood Pines to learn skills for the last 3 months. I do the blue route to warm up and try to improve my time every visit. I have done the full red route twice now (after warming up on the blue) and I will keep doing this to build confidence, understand my limits and learn skills.
So for me, Sherwood Pines is ideal (and I've paid the £50 for a years parking).

Ashley M

Dec 29, 2020
Derbyshire
Sorry I missed this. Sundays aren't a good day as the eldest has rugby. Looks like you had a good time, speedy recovery for Ashley.

Being new to MTB riding (6 months) and eMTB riding (4 weeks), I have been using Sherwood Pines to learn skills for the last 3 months. I do the blue route to warm up and try to improve my time every visit. I have done the full red route twice now (after warming up on the blue) and I will keep doing this to build confidence, understand my limits and learn skills.
So for me, Sherwood Pines is ideal (and I've paid the £50 for a years parking).
Thanks for the kind comments
Keep at it and enjoy!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles