Sherwood Pines off-piste Sun 13th Jun'21, 10am

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Meet at 10am ready to ride Sun 13th June by the side of the cafe veranda, overlooking the big field.

Postcode for Sherwood Pines is NG21 9JL, but switch off the sat nav when you turn off the public road and just follow the signs for the car park. Your reg no will be scanned on the way in and and you pay £6 at the pay station before you leave (Edit its now £8!). Don't forget or you will get stopped at the barrier, get blocked in and have to walk all the way back to pay! (And then back again).

For those of you who have already been to Pines and done the regular trails, you won't see much you recognise. A few of you have been with me off-piste before and have seen some of the more interesting and stretching stuff there is. Yes there is some fast flowing singletrack, but also lots of technical stuff. I have at least two descents that will make most riders think before attempting. I won't do either without some stretcher bearers, just in case. Anything that is tricky has a way around it. Nobody will have to ride outside what they are comfortable with just to stay with the group.

Last Sunday I put together a circuit that is about 19 miles long (plus any sessioning). Today I rode it with two mates, one of whom had never seen any of it before. They both loved it. The vast majority of the obstacles are avoidable, all are roll-able. If you don't fancy the alternative route then do what I did at first, walk the bike down the worst bits! I'm hoping that the camaraderie of many supportive riding buddies will give everyone a skills boost, including me! :)

I have done a few of these rideouts in the Pines area and they have always been good fun. Allow 3.5 - 4 hours as there is a lot of piss-taking and general chit- chat taking place.

The Pines forest clearance teams have been active and there is a lot of shattered wood about, so those without tubeless tyres and sealant, come prepared. For part of the ride, we will be leaving the Sherwood Pines area and into the area owned by the National Coal Board. The NCB seem to neither know nor care about who rides there, but they don't look after it either.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have driven further than that for a days ride in the past, but I'd rather be a passenger now.

I was at Pines today with my 13-year old grandson and his 26-year old half brother. The young'uns just can't pace themselves can they? They set off like rockets and were done in after 10 miles. Their problem was that we were another 2 miles away from the car park! We stopped at a picnic spot and I let them have a go on my Focus Jam2. I thought it would liven them up, but despite enjoying the treat, all they did was moan when they got back on their own mtbs. :)

The trail conditions were perfect.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I forgot to mention that the carpark tariff has gone up. It's now £8, went up on 1st June I believe. At least it might serve to reduce the size of the crowds flocking to the place!

For those that don't want to pay that, there is an alternative parking place that @myapes always uses. See further below for instructions. The space is not watched, guarded, or policed in any way, it's not even on the Forest England land, so you park at your own risk. I parked there once and I can't say I was too keen leaving my nice motor with it's towbar in an isolated place where frequently, packs of dirt bikes and quad bikes roar past on a narrow dirt road. But you will avoid paying £8.

I haven't had chance the talk to myapes yet about this, but last time he was happy to meet everyone 10 mins early (ie 09:50) ready to ride and lead you to the main meeting point.

Location of the alternative parking point.

For those that use what3words
3 word address: ///reds.recent.questions

I don't know why it comes up as Deerdale Lane, I thought it was Eakring Road East, but I've Googled it and it's correct.

For those with sat navs
53deg 08' 55.4" N OR 53.148731 N
01deg 04' 25.1" W OR 1.073647 W

Finally, Google Earth
Google Earth

Last edited:

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
I might try to nip along with a dog to say hi. Unfortunately i'm unable to ride but i would love to see some of what you had planned. would someone like to borrow a gopro? ?

have they opened any more of the car park yet? won't be much space by 10am.

Shog46

Nov 4, 2018
Yorkshire
Not rode a bike for a couple of months, so need some motivation n this is looking like the kick up the arse I need . Count me in ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I might try to nip along with a dog to say hi. Unfortunately i'm unable to ride but i would love to see some of what you had planned. would someone like to borrow a gopro? ?

have they opened any more of the car park yet? won't be much space by 10am.
It will be good to see you and wish you well after your accident. Nice of you to turn up to wave us off. Someone may take you up on your GoPro offer, but not me. I only have the top of my helmet to mount one and I hit my helmet too many times on the shrubbery for me to believe that I could return your GoPro in an undamaged condition. Anyone that turns up with a DH helmet and a chin mount will do a lot better in that respect.

Ref space in the car park. I am not expecting any problems parking before 10am.

I have been on busy Bank Holidays, School hols, sunny days, festival days, bike race days, and combinations of them all. Yes it can get very busy, but I have never failed to find a space, not once. They have several big fields that they use as overflow carparks. Right now they are converting the biggest field into proper carparking, ie with hard standing. I noticed on Thursday that the construction equipment had gone, so maybe they have finished. I will check it out today.

johnc

Oct 13, 2018
Scotland/East Midlands
For those that don't want to pay that, there is an alternative parking place that @myapes always uses. See further below for instructions. The space is not watched, guarded, or policed in any way, it's not even on the Forest England land, so you park at your own risk. I parked there once and I can't say I was too keen leaving my nice motor with it's towbar in an isolated place where frequently, packs of dirt bikes and quad bikes roar past on a narrow dirt road. But you will avoid paying £8.

So you have a go at where I park my car and how unsafe you think it is. Then you proceed to give out every form of co-ordinates. Let’s hope my spare battery and tools don’t go missing.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
So you have a go at where I park my car and how unsafe you think it is. Then you proceed to give out every form of co-ordinates. Let’s hope my spare battery and tools don’t go missing.
It is a good point that I had not thought of before, but sadly, that bird has flown long ago! Those sentiments and those co-ordinates were posted in Sep 2019. All I did was copy and paste for this thread. And I parked there in Jan this year before the third lockdown struck home. :unsure:
I'm sure the bad guys will be pleased to hear about your spare battery and tools though. :oops: (If only they knew which vehicle was yours?)
There are some benefits in paying the £8 parking charge. :)

johnc

Oct 13, 2018
Scotland/East Midlands
Not sure adding an extra 10 miles to my journey just to pay for parking makes sense. I’m trying to do my bit for the planet, emissions and all that.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
seeing as i won't remember faces can i get some pictures of bikes i should be looking for next week? ?
We will be meeting to the side of the cafe, overlooking the big field downhill from the cafe veranda. looking at the field from the cafe, we will be on the right. If in doubt, say the password "EMTB". I will be in black on a beautiful blue Focus Jam2 (although on the day it will be wearing a wart of a TEC pack).
Focus 2021.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles