Sherwood Pines off-piste ride Sun 31st Jul’22 – Fun day out!

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Afternoon Sherwood crew. We were considering a day out at Sherwood Pines some time this year. Is it worth waiting for your next meet up to have a guided tour and take on the off piste trails, or are the marked trails worth a trip alone ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Afternoon Sherwood crew. We were considering a day out at Sherwood Pines some time this year. Is it worth waiting for your next meet up to have a guided tour and take on the off piste trails, or are the marked trails worth a trip alone ?
You can attend any time you like and do the marked trails without a guide, but I doubt that you will see the best that Pines and its surroundings has to offer.

Forestry England have done a LOT of work over the last few years to the red and the blue trails, such that they are almost unrecognisable from five years ago. But the off-piste stuff takes the riding to another level of interest. For those with the appetite, there are some features that will challenge many and injure the unwary (just my opinion, I'm sure that none of them would trouble the serious downhillers). We had a look at a few but decided that we weren't feeling it that day.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I use the red blue and green to get about the place and access the off-piste features. I also try to include the best features of the red and blue, where possible. I have seen copies of one of my typical routes as recorded by others and I have no idea how they can possibly follow them later.

Six to ten is ideal, much above that and crowd control starts to become an issue. It is always easy to get lost when going off-piste; there are a multiplicity of trails and all the trees look the same. In addition, the more riders the longer the tail and the easier it is for the slower riders to lose contact with the main group. Also, all it takes is a mechanical or an off and the group is separated.

Give me a date, some idea of numbers, and the sort of day out that you want and I'm sure that I can pull something together that is more fun than the marked trails alone.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
You can attend any time you like and do the marked trails without a guide, but I doubt that you will see the best that Pines and its surroundings has to offer.

Forestry England have done a LOT of work over the last few years to the red and the blue trails, such that they are almost unrecognisable from five years ago. But the off-piste stuff takes the riding to another level of interest. For those with the appetite, there are some features that will challenge many and injure the unwary (just my opinion, I'm sure that none of them would trouble the serious downhillers). We had a look at a few but decided that we weren't feeling it that day.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I use the red blue and green to get about the place and access the off-piste features. I also try to include the best features of the red and blue, where possible. I have seen copies of one of my typical routes as recorded by others and I have no idea how they can possibly follow them later.

Six to ten is ideal, much above that and crowd control starts to become an issue. It is always easy to get lost when going off-piste; there are a multiplicity of trails and all the trees look the same. In addition, the more riders the longer the tail and the easier it is for the slower riders to lose contact with the main group. Also, all it takes is a mechanical or an off and the group is separated.

Give me a date, some idea of numbers, and the sort of day out that you want and I'm sure that I can pull something together that is more fun than the marked trails alone.

Sounds great thanks Steve. We’ll take you up on the offer on one of your infamous guided tours. Probably be around late September / October. Just the two of us. A mixture of all sorts suits us, not quite at the level of huge gap jumps and massive drops (6ft +) yet, but anything else is game on 👊🏼

Steffi

Jun 30, 2022
Nottinghamshire

Thanks. We are both keen to explore Pines more and see the “off piste”. Hope to actually complete a ride with you ! We’ll Keep on the lookout for when you are doing a ride, but anytime end Aug and thro Sept onwards! Ill message @myapes when we are around. Cheers

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Sounds great thanks Steve. We’ll take you up on the offer on one of your infamous guided tours. Probably be around late September / October. Just the two of us. A mixture of all sorts suits us, not quite at the level of huge gap jumps and massive drops (6ft +) yet, but anything else is game on 👊🏼
"not quite at the level of huge gap jumps and massive drops (6ft +) yet, but anything else is game on 👊🏼 "
My kind of people!

If there is only the two of you, @Steffi +1 and of course @myapes may be available to come along also.

DaveDog

Apr 16, 2021
Derbyshire
Thanks Steve for planning and leading another brilliant day out with great people:)
Hopefully, also, count me in for any future rides🚴‍♀️

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles