Rocky Mountain battery failure

Cuddles

Apr 22, 2020
North Vancouver
so I have a 2020 A30 build spec; I think that means a 504kwh battery or something like that. Performance has been amazing; probably have approx a 100 rides and charges on the thing and noticed that about a week ago it only charges to 95%; now to 88% (readings per the rocky phone app) - feels like it too.

Reads to 100% while on the charger; but revisits the reading and reduces it as above once unplugged. Noticed when plugged it back in after I saw it adjusted to 88% that the charger went into its "rebalance cells" mode; Ill see what I read after leaving it on for 4 hours. (following what I understand the recommendation to be from the manual).

Anyone else have any experience with the battery pack and what I can expect happening (and how much they sell replacement units for; or how or if they warranty or recycle the battery unit?)

Cuddles

Apr 22, 2020
North Vancouver
totally; but I'm pretty sure that charging to 95%; which seems to be what it is generally does, doesn't qualify for warranty. I think dealing with the battery pack will be a lot like wearing out the drivetrain; not really a warranty item within the parameters of expected wear and tear, and there will be an expected level of capacity degradation over the life span of the battery.

(just last ride it charged to 95, dropped to 77 after a very short climb up the street right out my door that had me thinking it was going to crater to nothing before my ride got going, then seemed to "level out" and return (by feel) to a high 80% charge level for the rest of the ride)

I think the manual indicates something like 300 to 500 charge cycles until capacity reduces down to 75% - which generally conforms with what my friend that is experienced with li po battery packs from other applications says is pretty typical. He's suggested a better charger would likely perform better and more balanced charges of the pack (he was surprised at how seemingly basic the charger for the bike is (we surmized this is Rocky's compromise to providing the bike with an idiot proof, cost attractive, moderately smart fast charger).

I told him I'm not doing anything different until all warranties are expired. Just wondering if anyone on here is ahead of where I am regarding wearing out the pack and any experiences they've had with what I can expect the pack cratering and Rocky addressing it. Theres a dark art here to the batteries that I haven't really seen discussed in these forums yet.:unsure: - at least regarding specifically RMs charger, cell type, and warranty experience. - anyone?

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
The battery percentage reading in the app will read 100% whilst charging because the charger is outputting max voltage to fill the battery.
I recently had a similar experience with my C50 battery where the amount of charge displayed became out of sync with the actual charge in the battery. I discharged the battery by riding the bike until it switched off, then charged it fully-til the charger switched off. Now it's fine again. I've had my bike for 17 months and 7600km, I'd guess the battery capacity is about 85-90% of what it was new. It's been charged almost every day as the bike is my "work commuter", between 45-50% to 85-90%. I will fully charge it if I'm going for a big ride.

Rocky47

May 23, 2020
Hereford
I have a a70 altitude and have recently been having battery drain issues my wife has the a70 instinct so I’ve been quite lucky to compare my battery consumption to hers. I contacted my dealer over my concerns and the carrier out a live data log and submitted it to rocky. They deemed the battery had failed prematurely and replaced in under warranty

I have a a70 altitude and have recently been having battery drain issues my wife has the a70 instinct so I’ve been quite lucky to compare my battery consumption to hers. I contacted my dealer over my concerns and the carrier out a live data log and submitted it to rocky. They deemed the battery had failed prematurely and replaced in under warranty
A friend of mine had the same issue actually, they replaced it immediately with no problems

JJERN

Dec 16, 2020
CA
how bad was the drain? Half of expected use or something else?
Was the data log just a quick capture while riding or did you have to do a long ride and drain the battery?

Rocky47

May 23, 2020
Hereford

Was the data log just a quick capture while riding or did you have to do a long ride and drain the battery?

I ride with the mechanic at my dealer he had an engineers app on his phone which we connected to my bike and put in my rucksack. We were out until the battery went into red. He then sent the data session to rocky and they authorised a battery replacement. I felt like I had a battery issue as I ride with a lot of others with a powerplay and I was chewing through the battery power a lot more than the others I would be in red when they would be in green

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles