Rocky Mountain PowerPlay speed sensor

nineT

Apr 16, 2020
Bavaria
Hi there Dyname 3.0 owners,

speed sensor failures are among the common issues, as far as I understand from this forum and also other.
Generally I red about no support/random cutouts or jerky motor torque.
After converting to a Kindernay IGH I had the same issues as described above.
Since the Kindernay disc construction does not allow the same bolt-on magnet solution, I simply glued the original magnet on the new disc.
Well, after working fine for approx. 0,5 kilometer, the motor started cutting out.
I started the Mahle app and it indicated speed sensor error. I checked the magnet: it was still there.
After restarting the system and with the app running, I checked the speed indicator: it was working normally for a while.
But suddenly the indicated speed started oscillating between 0 and 99,9 ! Jerky torque again.
Then unbolted the speed sensor and placed a shim under it. The distance between sensor and magnet was around 1mm after this.
Situation improved, but still some cutouts.

After replacing the original magnet with a bigger one (Yes, it is a bit ugly now) the motor works perfect again.
I can conclude that the original magnet/sensor system might be borderline.

Maybe this helps in other cases ?

Last edited:

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
Powerplay (generation as of 2021/Dyname 3.0) is finicky about the speed sensor. It may be placebo but any jerking on an occassional trip seem to dissapear if I stop and clean the magnet snd sensor (or recalibrate the torque sensor from the remote, which I may do at the same time depending on when done last).

I heard it's the number one component failure on Powerplays, but is fortunately very quick and easy to replace with an easily accessible connection socket under the motor cover. I had to get it replaced after 20 meters on delivery, but heard they'll mail it to you too.

Anyway, yes, stronger magnet is usually what solves it when customizing in that area on any emtb.

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
Since replacing my 3rd factory sensor at about 3000km with a reed switch bought locally, I've not had any issues. My bike is now just over 10,000km. I'm still using the factory magnet.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles