Anyone have a Rocky Mountain?

leix_toffee

Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Ireland
Looking for thoughts on the Rocky Mountain Altitude Powerplay? LBS getting delivery in Feb and if Specialized don’t get my bike in by then (multiple delays and promises), I will take one. Any thoughts on dyname motor? A little concerned about LBS having parts and experience fixing issues that will arise.

Superkoochy

Patreon
Oct 19, 2018
Bathgate
I had one until it was stolen and I loved it! The geometry isn't super low or slack which makes them playful and the torque is insane. The RM UK importers customer service was great

Miscel76

Oct 31, 2020
Melbourne
Hi. I just bought an Altitude C70. Bike feels amazing, being 23.5Kg size large with pedals I can manual it super easy (my old bike was a Giant Trance e+ and was super hard to manual it). Engine is great but I can’t feel it stronger than a Brose tbh same power delivery feeling. Definitely worthy the money

Jimmy Gipsy

Oct 5, 2018
Italia
IMG_20220303_144410.jpg

I am very satisfied with mine, although I would have preferred the C70, which is much easier to set up at the suspension level. But this one came first and I'm certainly not complaining :)

Dynamo

Apr 3, 2022
Victoria BC
Picked one up at LBS a few weeks ago. I have spent more time fiddling with it than riding it but it is getting to where I want it to be with a couple mods and fitting almost done. Going out in a few minutes to get some more seat time and to make minor adjustments if needed. The power is awesome. Wish I could say more but so far it’s been great.

cody311

Jan 5, 2022
Colorado
A30 owner with~400 miles on the bike.
Custom wheel set build (Onyx hubs Carbon hoops)
Shimano Saint Brakes (220mm front rotor)

CONS first...

Surprised that someone mention it isn't too low or slack. Feels like I pedal strike a quarter on the asphalt in a parking lot. Ride 4 set in higher position didn't really make a noticeable difference for BB height, but it did for the headtube angle. Getting cranks shorter than 165mm pretty much impossible without custom machining work.

-Bolt checks! I've had so many bolts slowly loosen back out and noticeable squeaking from it. Chased every thread with a tap and reapplied blue Loctite, good now (Just hit 400miles on this bike and the last 100miles is when I did this, noticeable difference). I run a silent Onyx hub so noise is very apparent for me.

-Expect battery rattle in the downtube with the Alloy version (maybe carbon too but I have no first hand experience), expect some more mechanical noises from the pulley's, even more so in dry and dusty areas, like here in Colorado.

-Chain length is long since Mid-high pivot so you will need two chains if/when you replace it.

-Dropper post insertion depth is shallow on the Alloy models so be sure you are ok with that and not stuck with high stack height.

-Alloy models can not use the MX mount for mullet setup if that is something you value.

-Motor covers are made of Papier-mâché and crack just looking at them intensely (Rocky has a redesign but website is confusing as to what the new part number is).

-BE SURE TO CALIBRATE! Anytime you change something even as small as pedal types, recalibrate the torque sensor. Not difficult to do just be sure to do it.

-Don't rest your foot on the pedals when stopped, throws it out of calibration after like 30-60 seconds and sometimes will need to restart, not to mention it wants to send power (setting the controller to zero stops this but still throws CAL error).

Pros...

What a fantastic and capable bike!

-Great geo numbers if you like to get rowdy.

-The price point on the lower models is very competitive and components are adequate for the job. Always recommend a 220m rotor on an ebike. Not just for stopping power but also heat dissipation on the longer descents. Wheel set is meh but honestly, probably fine for most. GET TIRE INSERTS for the rear at minimum.

-The interface on the Jumbotron is simple and effective and never distracting. If you value simplicity, this is huge. Although you can easily hit the controller into a different power level I find a mid height grip helps you avoid this. Most people ride flush grips, as I normally do, but went to some with small thumb stops and pretty much has eliminated the issue. Love this interface and simple layout, let my bike do bike things, I don't need another phone to play with... looking at you Bosch!

-The Dyanme 4.0 is a fantastic motor with great feel and progressive power output. You can adjust these levels within the system to your needs/wants, most likely. Still capped at top speed for whatever country you reside (Love my 20 MPH freedom unit cap) but the assist in +2 Luda is the GOAT! Great for these punchy and technical climbs in the Rockies.

-Mid-high pivot suspension kinematics with a coil is very supportive and just *makes Italian hand gesture while pursing lips*. Super fun for me as someone that enjoys to jib around and climb any and everything.

-Adjustable Geo, between the Ride 4 and the rear flip chip it's pretty good. A good adjustable headset cup setup could bring it to that next level, if you need.

-Battery range has yet to give me any anxiety and I've done 25+ mile rides with 3-4500' assent here in Colorado. Even below 15% the power it gives feels adequate to round out your ride.

I've got some videos out with me playing the bike, so if you ride like I do (for the smiles), check it out. I ride with guys on Spesh, Trek's, Giant's and Mondraker's. We all enjoy ourselves and it's clear some of these bikes excel in other areas. I think the Rocky is a great all-rounder. Not the most efficient pedal platform as I am usually 10% off my buddies on their Rail's after a big climb. I also run Maxxgrip compound and super low tire pressures, so take this with a grain of salt. The bike is heavy, but if you are looking at a full power ebike, they all are. All these bikes are good, just be sure you have a service/warranty department you can use if you are not much of a wrench. I would say that with any bike though.

Puschtrale

Jan 19, 2021
Dobbiaco
A30 owner with~400 miles on the bike.
Custom wheel set build (Onyx hubs Carbon hoops)
Shimano Saint Brakes (220mm front rotor)

CONS first...

Surprised that someone mention it isn't too low or slack. Feels like I pedal strike a quarter on the asphalt in a parking lot. Ride 4 set in higher position didn't really make a noticeable difference for BB height, but it did for the headtube angle. Getting cranks shorter than 165mm pretty much impossible without custom machining work.

-Bolt checks! I've had so many bolts slowly loosen back out and noticeable squeaking from it. Chased every thread with a tap and reapplied blue Loctite, good now (Just hit 400miles on this bike and the last 100miles is when I did this, noticeable difference). I run a silent Onyx hub so noise is very apparent for me.

-Expect battery rattle in the downtube with the Alloy version (maybe carbon too but I have no first hand experience), expect some more mechanical noises from the pulley's, even more so in dry and dusty areas, like here in Colorado.

-Chain length is long since Mid-high pivot so you will need two chains if/when you replace it.

-Dropper post insertion depth is shallow on the Alloy models so be sure you are ok with that and not stuck with high stack height.

-Alloy models can not use the MX mount for mullet setup if that is something you value.

-Motor covers are made of Papier-mâché and crack just looking at them intensely (Rocky has a redesign but website is confusing as to what the new part number is).

-BE SURE TO CALIBRATE! Anytime you change something even as small as pedal types, recalibrate the torque sensor. Not difficult to do just be sure to do it.

-Don't rest your foot on the pedals when stopped, throws it out of calibration after like 30-60 seconds and sometimes will need to restart, not to mention it wants to send power (setting the controller to zero stops this but still throws CAL error).

Pros...

What a fantastic and capable bike!

-Great geo numbers if you like to get rowdy.

-The price point on the lower models is very competitive and components are adequate for the job. Always recommend a 220m rotor on an ebike. Not just for stopping power but also heat dissipation on the longer descents. Wheel set is meh but honestly, probably fine for most. GET TIRE INSERTS for the rear at minimum.

-The interface on the Jumbotron is simple and effective and never distracting. If you value simplicity, this is huge. Although you can easily hit the controller into a different power level I find a mid height grip helps you avoid this. Most people ride flush grips, as I normally do, but went to some with small thumb stops and pretty much has eliminated the issue. Love this interface and simple layout, let my bike do bike things, I don't need another phone to play with... looking at you Bosch!

-The Dyanme 4.0 is a fantastic motor with great feel and progressive power output. You can adjust these levels within the system to your needs/wants, most likely. Still capped at top speed for whatever country you reside (Love my 20 MPH freedom unit cap) but the assist in +2 Luda is the GOAT! Great for these punchy and technical climbs in the Rockies.

-Mid-high pivot suspension kinematics with a coil is very supportive and just *makes Italian hand gesture while pursing lips*. Super fun for me as someone that enjoys to jib around and climb any and everything.

-Adjustable Geo, between the Ride 4 and the rear flip chip it's pretty good. A good adjustable headset cup setup could bring it to that next level, if you need.

-Battery range has yet to give me any anxiety and I've done 25+ mile rides with 3-4500' assent here in Colorado. Even below 15% the power it gives feels adequate to round out your ride.

I've got some videos out with me playing the bike, so if you ride like I do (for the smiles), check it out. I ride with guys on Spesh, Trek's, Giant's and Mondraker's. We all enjoy ourselves and it's clear some of these bikes excel in other areas. I think the Rocky is a great all-rounder. Not the most efficient pedal platform as I am usually 10% off my buddies on their Rail's after a big climb. I also run Maxxgrip compound and super low tire pressures, so take this with a grain of salt. The bike is heavy, but if you are looking at a full power ebike, they all are. All these bikes are good, just be sure you have a service/warranty department you can use if you are not much of a wrench. I would say that with any bike though.

Great review man 👌. Let me ask you one question: could you somewhere find official information on the nm for all the different bolts on the Powerplay Instinct? I tried but could not find anything 🤷‍♂️

cody311

Jan 5, 2022
Colorado
Great review man 👌. Let me ask you one question: could you somewhere find official information on the nm for all the different bolts on the Powerplay Instinct? I tried but could not find anything 🤷‍♂️

Thanks, and no. The factory manual doesn't provide the values and I don't have any source for a master list of values. I just use best judgement. If the bolt is aluminum I really try to be careful. The stainless bolts I'll stung up pretty tight. If you do find something, please share with the group. 🤙

Sudastone

Aug 14, 2022
San Jose, Ca
I found this chart in the 2018-2021 Powerplay manual. The 2022 PP manual doesn't have the frame botl poundage listed only things like the cranks, stem, pedals etc.

2028 to 2021 PP torque settings.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles