Rocky Mountain speed sensor failures.

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
20200328_225642.jpg

The top pic is just a view of the Dyname 3.0 motor. The cover over the primary reduction chain drive can be seen.
The below pic is of a BBB cycle computer speed sensor I adapted so at least I can get out for some road miles during the so-called lock down. This is the 3rd sensor to fail on the bike, this last one making 2000km before dying. Replacement is warranty but once that runs out, I was concerned about semi-regularly having to buy exorbitantly priced genuine parts. The sensor is a normally-open reed switch which the motor unit supplies 5V through, then detects the breaking and connecting of the circuit via magnetic activation. It is connected at the motor using a 2pin 2.54mm JST SM connector. I will make factory style replacement once services get up and running again.

20200331_162545.jpg

Pylie1

Jan 19, 2020
Australia
View attachment 28187

The top pic is just a view of the Dyname 3.0 motor. The cover over the primary reduction chain drive can be seen.
The below pic is of a BBB cycle computer speed sensor I adapted so at least I can get out for some road miles during the so-called lock down. This is the 3rd sensor to fail on the bike, this last one making 2000km before dying. Replacement is warranty but once that runs out, I was concerned about semi-regularly having to buy exorbitantly priced genuine parts. The sensor is a normally-open reed switch which the motor unit supplies 5V through, then detects the breaking and connecting of the circuit via magnetic activation. It is connected at the motor using a 2pin 2.54mm JST SM connector. I will make factory style replacement once services get up and running again.

View attachment 28188
I'll keep this in mind as I'm waiting for my new Rocky Mountain to show up.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles