Rise un-removable battery in UK winter?

billium

Jul 10, 2022
Sussex
I am looking for new bike and the Rise H is high on my list but I will be storing the bike in a shed that gets cold in the winter - don't they all?
Since the battery is not removable how do owners protect it against damage from freezing or low temperatures?

• Storing the bike in the house all winter is not an option.
  • Heating the whole garage or shed is wasteful and will get really expensive.
  • Heating just the bike has to be done very carefully to not overheat the battery - which is also very bad.

Any ideas or solutions?

billium

Jul 10, 2022
Sussex
As far as I'm aware, cold temperature storage won't hurt a Lipo battery, and in fact it might even help it last longer? But don't try to charge it when it is very cold. Relative humidity (condensation) could be an issue for corrosion or shorts though?

Plenty of stuff online e.g. How to store lithium based batteries – BatteryGuy.com Knowledge Base

Yes, but trouble is that there seems to be no consensus on a safe storage temp. That may be because different battery chemistries have different minimums.

For example in this Shimano doc they say don't store below 10 deg ie +10 which is 20 deg higher!

If you normally keep your bike outside in a garage or shed during the winter months you must move the battery inside if temperatures are likely to drop below 10°C – even if the bike has to remain outside. This applies whether you are riding your bike daily or storing it for the winter period.

Do Orbea address this in the Rise product manual?

Richridesmtb

Jan 23, 2022
Australia
I remember reading a recommendation to let the bike/battery warm up before charging.

It does suck that the battery is not removable. The new Trek does a great job with their battery.

billium

Jul 10, 2022
Sussex
I remember reading a recommendation to let the bike/battery warm up before charging.

It does suck that the battery is not removable. The new Trek does a great job with their battery.

Storage and charging are two different scenarios for me
I have no problem warming the battery up before charging it if really cold by occasionally bringing the bike in the house the night before.
My concern is the potential cumulative damage done by storing the battery at freezing temperatures for many days over the winter.

I don't actually have an issue with the battery being non-removable IF it can safely handle cold temperature storage.
I think a solid downtube is naturally stronger than a u-shaped one ( like Trek or Cube) so bikes with batteries that slide out the bottom seem to the have the right idea.

Richridesmtb

Jan 23, 2022
Australia
Storage and charging are two different scenarios for me
I have no problem warming the battery up before charging it if really cold by occasionally bringing the bike in the house the night before.
My concern is the potential cumulative damage done by storing the battery at freezing temperatures for many days over the winter.

I don't actually have an issue with the battery being non-removable IF it can safely handle cold temperature storage.
I think a solid downtube is naturally stronger than a u-shaped one ( like Trek or Cube) so bikes with batteries that slide out the bottom seem to the have the right idea.
I have similar concerns about storage, but I've resigned to the fact that I'll have to replace the battery a bit sooner.

The Trek I was meaning is the Exe. It has a solid downtube.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles