Easy to remove battery on Rise Hydro?

TKB

Apr 28, 2022
Norway
How hard is it to remove the battery on the Rise Hydro? And can you charge the battery directly when removed?

I'm also partly asking because I need to get the weight under 20kg in order to put a H15 on my bike roof rack.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
How hard is it to remove the battery on the Rise Hydro? And can you charge the battery directly when removed?

I'm also partly asking because I need to get the weight under 20kg in order to put a H15 on my bike roof rack.

You would need to remove the motor - so pretty hard.

I don’t know what connectors it actually has for external charging.

TKB

Apr 28, 2022
Norway
Yeah, I suspected that was needed. But still, how hard is it to drop the motor on this bike?

TKB

Apr 28, 2022
Norway
From browsing the web I understand that the H15 is about 21.5kg including pedals. Besides removing the battery, how to most easily reduce the weight to 20kg? To be able to have it on my Thule 598 roof rack?

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
From browsing the web I understand that the H15 is about 21.5kg including pedals. Besides removing the battery, how to most easily reduce the weight to 20kg? To be able to have it on my Thule 598 roof rack?

Removing the wheels should be enough if you can still attach it to the roof rack.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I just weighed the front wheel of my Rise M-ltd and it is 1.9kg (once I measured properly the second time)

Last edited:
Reactions: TKB

TKB

Apr 28, 2022
Norway
My roof bike rack only works with the wheels on. Maybe the easiest is to buy a new bike rack. And the only one I found that can take more than 20kg is this one:

BTW, I don't have a tow hitch.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Yeah, I suspected that was needed. But still, how hard is it to drop the motor on this bike?

With the right tools I can do it in a few minutes but I would never want to do this every time I transport the bike, that's crazy.

BTW, I don't have a tow hitch.

So get one? :p They're not difficult to install, even if DIY.

Last edited:

TKB

Apr 28, 2022
Norway
Well, the Menabo rack I linked to previously is verified to 25kg, so it is safe but cumbersome, yes.

I'd love a tow hitch but bloody Audi wants 3000 euros to install it! Am trying to find a third-party solution.

Murphius

Jun 19, 2020
Washington
Removing the battery is a huge pain in the ass. Totally delete that from your mind as a potential solution. No way anyone would do that every time they transport their bike with their car.

I would personally just put the overweight bike on the roof rack you have and use your brain, ex. drive slower when appropriate (bumpy roads, high wind, etc).

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
Well, the Menabo rack I linked to previously is verified to 25kg, so it is safe but cumbersome, yes.

I'd love a tow hitch but bloody Audi wants 3000 euros to install it! Am trying to find a third-party solution.
I was quoted 2400 Swiss francs to have one fitted to my BMW. A one man garage did it for half that. Well worth it. I bought a Thule vélo space which can take up to 60k and I carry 2 ebikes. It’s very quick, convenient and secure and being behind the car has less effect on fuel consumption. I agree, I would not put an ebike on the roof - good chance of damaging yourself or the car!

TKB

Apr 28, 2022
Norway
Murphius, I agree, would most likely work. However, if something would happen when I'm using a too heavy bike on the rack I won't get any reimbursement from the insurance company...

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Just don't do it. It's not easy, and every single time you remove it and/or drop the motor you're risking damage to the wiring harness and connectors. It was NOT MEANT to be removed. One more time: don't do it.

TKB

Apr 28, 2022
Norway
Just don't do it. It's not easy, and every single time you remove it and/or drop the motor you're risking damage to the wiring harness and connectors. It was NOT MEANT to be removed. One more time: don't do it.
No worries, I won't :)

Haven't even bought the bike yet. I'm trying to figure out if I should go for the Rise H15 or the Levo alloy... and on the Levo it is simple to drop the battery.

Last edited:

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
It seems wrong to make a choice of bike based on how you are going to carry it on the car! Even with the battery removed, the Levo is still quite a weight to put on your roof and you still have all the disadvantages of carrying a bike on the roof (I can' think of any advantages). Ball hitch is the way to go. If you are going to keep your car for a while, and can get one fitted at a decent price (there are even companies that will come to your home to do it) I don't think you will regret it.

TKB

Apr 28, 2022
Norway
It seems wrong to make a choice of bike based on how you are going to carry it on the car! Even with the battery removed, the Levo is still quite a weight to put on your roof and you still have all the disadvantages of carrying a bike on the roof (I can' think of any advantages). Ball hitch is the way to go. If you are going to keep your car for a while, and can get one fitted at a decent price (there are even companies that will come to your home to do it) I don't think you will regret it.
Thanks for the input and I kind of agree, but not completely. It's much easier and cheaper to change one's bike than one's car!

And I'd wish it was that simple to get a hitch where I live, but it isn't. I'm located at 70 deg north and the skiing season is still on up here :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles