Battery range summer v winter

Feb 6, 2023
Uk
I’m seeing almost half the range in winter?

Staying above -10 for the warranty obviously, when the ground is frozen it’s a bloody good laugh across the fields and trails. Dress appropriately and keep working keeps you warm

But I’m seeing range of 20-23 miles below zero where as in summer I was seeing 36-40 miles profile 2 boost heavy

Normal?

Oh let me guess none of you were stupid enough to go out in temps that low? Well …. On reflection ? Your probably right 🙃😄 I actually haven’t laughed as much in a long time 😆

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
There are various factors ...

Are you riding from home or putting the bike on the back ? add in various other scenarios which will create similar predicaments.

Basically, Lithium Iron batteries can be stored cold when charged . However, if you try and use them when they're cold, you'll generally suffer a massive loss in efficiency. Ideally, have the battery at room temperature before a ride for optimum efficiency.

Whilst you're using the battery, it creates heat due to it's own inefficiencies. Theoretically it will then keep itself warm. Personally, I find it better to sometimes up the assistance level when it's really cold so more current is being drawn, keeping the battery warmer - this will again vary on the rider, terrain, temperature, speed - psychosomatic interpretation .... It won't always be the case, but in some scenarios, more assistance, could give you more range (assuming you up the pace at the same time).

You say you're already using boost though, so that factor could be ignored.

Are you climbing more as you've got more used to the bike ?

Feb 6, 2023
Uk
No that’s the thing I couldn’t provide more regular conditions. It’s a heated garage believe it or not. Bike hangs from the garage door opener rail nice and toasty. The garage was, wisely, fitted with a rad when the garage was extended to include an office above it in the eaves. We ride from the house. We regularly do the same loop of trails. Muddy conditions drain it more in specific areas but in mud it’s not freezing. Yet below zero it’s worse in harder frozen terrain when the bike rolls WAY better and conditions are very easy to ride. We even judged the wind to be less head on and with us on the return home. But yet, 21 miles on the same route.

Conversely I managed 36 in summer up Xmas common on some VERY steap climes on the same profile all be it with more eco and trail use by judging the known route mileage.

But to be more precise… in summer from home bike on the same garage we can go 25-6 miles on the same route and have 10 -12 miles left
In minus 6-7 we shorten the route to avoid rivers and fords etc. no wet feet in this weather thank you 🙏 😄 so we do that route regular.

So either the cold is killing the range or the battery has week cells or both to my thinking 💭

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles