Reign E+ 2022

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
Yesterday, 24.07.2023, a new Version of the RideControl App has been released for iOS and Android.
I had to manually update the App because it was not advertised automatically like other apps, but this might be related to my Phone or its settings. When connecting my bikes, an update of the SmartGateway was advertised. It is Version 20230719000.

According to GIANT Germany Support Team, the bugs of the previous version 20230609000 have been fixed with 20230719000.

Last edited:

Kevjob51

May 22, 2022
Colorado
did the ride app update through play store then turned on bike and did the newest bike update. We shall see. It is acting like it used, can't turn on bike when charging(last update made it possible to do so, never have been able to before)

I am charging it now for one hour, starting at 50% and will update this post after one hour of charging. I expect to be around 80% in an hour.

One hour 31% charge about normal

Last edited:

liuyizhe96

Jul 26, 2023
US
Yesterday, 24.07.2023, a new Version of the RideControl App has been released for iOS and Android.
I had to manually update the App because it was not advertised automatically like other apps, but this might be related to my Phone or its settings. When connecting my bikes, an update of the SmartGateway was advertised. It is Version 20230719000.

According to GIANT Germany Support Team, the bugs of the previous version 20230609000 have been fixed with 20230719000.
Will the latest version of software lock the motor if tuning is used? I have a new trance x adv e+1 (2023) that has been updated with new software and installed with Speedbox 3.1. However, the Speedbox 3.1 doesn't work and the bike is still limited to 25km/h, which is very uncomfortable. I'm not sure if Volspeed V4 can be used with the latest software on my bike.

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
Even before the last update users reported that GIANT is now able to identify potential tuning and locks the motor with Failure Code A06. Abd even LBS seems not to be able to remedy from it and motor needs to get swapped. This is very similar with Shimanos latest approach to prevent tuning. But this is all second hand, so don't take it for granted.

liuyizhe96

Jul 26, 2023
US
Even before the last update users reported that GIANT is now able to identify potential tuning and locks the motor with Failure Code A06. Abd even LBS seems not to be able to remedy from it and motor needs to get swapped. This is very similar with Shimanos latest approach to prevent tuning. But this is all second hand, so don't take it for granted.
If using tuning to lock the motor, it's really unfortunate. When will Giant release new software to deal with this A06 error code?
It seems that I have lost hope for Volspeed v4. I just bought it on Amazon and haven't received it yet .

Do you know the Volspeed v4 works in the current software? Perhaps in the future, these tuning manufacturers will release their new version of tuning for giant syncdrive pro2 with ridecontrol go, just like the Bosch ebike system approach to prevent tuning before

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
I posted about the 6A code somewhere in March I think.

I saw a report on Fb from a guy from Australia that had a Trance E+ motor warranty claim refused because the Giant service tool registered the 6A event code during diagnostics.

I have to point out that the user did not say the 6A event code locked his motor, he only reported that the diagnostic tool registered the code.

There were also screen shots of the diagnostic tool screen showing the code and some "Fail" results with some sensors.

So the credibility of the report is questionable, it is not necessarily the tuning box that causes the 6A event code.

As there were also "Fail" codes for some sensors,probably sensors gone bad(because of higher heat inside the motor), could also that be a reason for the 6A event code.

I can imagine that if someone runs a motor that was designed for 32km/h plus 10% reserve, let's say that's 36km/h max at speeds over 50km/h it will overheat to much and damage the electronics.

I follow all Giant E+ forums and groups pretty regularly and so far this Fb post was the only report that I have seen so far.

One more interesting thing, in the diagnostic tool on the left side it says:

Number of event codes

On the right side it says [6A],

so that could also mean, 6 times an event code was detected.

I have seen reports though that Giant E bikes 2022 onwards models(Yamaha PW-X3 motor) don't really like Speedbox tuning modules but do work fine with Volspeed 4 module. At least I have not yet seen a report where someone would say his Volspeed 4 didn't work OK.

Can't say anything about it my self as I feel 25kmh limit is just fine for uphill, and riding emtb on flat terrain is just not my thing.

Also can't say anything about tuning after the new software update, I someone has any experience, do share.

✌️

FB_IMG_1677964004605.jpg

Last edited:

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Answering my own post (and others here) on the charging issue.

I stopped at my local Giant LBS (where I got the bike) and the Giant rep happened to be there 😊 (I should have bought a lottery ticked that day…)

Word from giant is that the power management module needs to be reset (don’t quote me on this, it could be another module name). The way to reset it is to discharge the battery to 20% or less, take the battery out of the bike and recharge to 100%.

I always keep the bike updated to latest revision, same with the Ride Control phone app.
In my case, the last firmware update (4 days ago) corrected the issue, didn’t have to drain the battery to 20%.

Hope this helps!

boarder87

Oct 4, 2022
Germany
Even After the Update I have still this strange behavior after 30min of charging. Battery was at ~30% before charging.
The average charging speeds slows down, but it seems the battery will reach 100% . After unplugging the charger for a few seconds the charging will continue stable for a while.

1690992244272.png

I could also press once then power button while charging and the LEDs turned on white on both sides.

Last edited:

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
Hey guys, does anyone here also own the 2023 Trance E+ Elite?

Looking at this promo video (time stamp 0:58) you can see additional functionality of the motor settings on the bike, that our Reigns lack.

As seen in the video it's possible to set the torque in 1 Nm increments from 20 to 85.

Can someone maybe confirm it is indeed like that on the Trance, or is this just a teaser for a future app update. Which would probably be a first for Giant...throwing out teasers...
🤷‍♂️

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
It's the exact same motor as on the other models.
So I put my money on the claim that the app wil not be any different and you can't set the torque in 1 NM increments.
Marketing Video with a fancy animation - that's what it is.
Just my 2 Cents

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
I leave you a little video with my personalized ebike, look at the vinyls in the lower area... the next one I hope to stabilize the image better with a future Osmo mobile that is already on order.
greetings

Can you please share where you found the PW-X3 motor cover ?

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
It's the exact same motor as on the other models.
So I put my money on the claim that the app wil not be any different and you can't set the torque in 1 NM increments.
Marketing Video with a fancy animation - that's what it is.
Just my 2 Cents
Also asked in the Trance thread, will see if anyone can confirm. 🤷‍♂️

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
Wow good catch 👍 You have to really pay attention to see this!
My vote goes to future release of the app...
There is also this here. In my last email to the app developer I suggested that it would be user friendly if the app would have three profile buttons for different overall settings, where with one click it would automatically set your Assistance/Torque/Launch sliders.
Screenshot_20230804_180828_Facebook.jpg

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
60km and 3000m of climbing yesterday using both 800Wh and 630Wh batteries.

Had 2 overheating issues, a bit annoyed by both:

1) First one was on the first climb, I did 20 minutes of steepish road, 10 minutes of steep fireroad, and then 10 minutes of extremely steep fireroad before it bumped me into mode 3 just before the end of the climb. At the end I was in mode 4 in my 36tooth gear. A bit annoyed by this one as it was still very early in the day and the temperature was in the low 20s (Celsius) and I wasn't even in the top assist.

2) Next overheating issue was at the end of the loop, I went up a normal mountain road for about 20 minutes, then into a fireroad wit some steep parts for 20 minutes. Again I was in mode 4 and it bumped me down into mode 3. It was the middle of the day so the temperatures were in the high 20s, but nothing too crazy. Annoyed by this one as the fireroad wasn't that steep and I wasn't even in the top mode.

I'm going to try recalibrating my assist levels to get more power out of mode 3, and then use that as my main mode rather than mode 4. At this point, it seems the bike could not complete an EDR (Valberg or Finale) without overheating.

Audunsen

Aug 10, 2023
Oslo
I have a Rockshox super deluxe coil shock that I wanted to install on my Reign. The Rockshox shock that I was trying to install has bearings installed in the eyelet from factory, but the one I took off had no bearings in the eyelet. The bottom bolt does not fit through the bearing in the eyelet. My question is if I can just remove the bearings in the coil shock and fit the coil shock? I have found info online that eyelet diameter is universal, so I guess this would work? View attachment 122199

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
60km and 3000m of climbing yesterday using both 800Wh and 630Wh batteries.

Had 2 overheating issues, a bit annoyed by both:

1) First one was on the first climb, I did 20 minutes of steepish road, 10 minutes of steep fireroad, and then 10 minutes of extremely steep fireroad before it bumped me into mode 3 just before the end of the climb. At the end I was in mode 4 in my 36tooth gear. A bit annoyed by this one as it was still very early in the day and the temperature was in the low 20s (Celsius) and I wasn't even in the top assist.

2) Next overheating issue was at the end of the loop, I went up a normal mountain road for about 20 minutes, then into a fireroad wit some steep parts for 20 minutes. Again I was in mode 4 and it bumped me down into mode 3. It was the middle of the day so the temperatures were in the high 20s, but nothing too crazy. Annoyed by this one as the fireroad wasn't that steep and I wasn't even in the top mode.

I'm going to try recalibrating my assist levels to get more power out of mode 3, and then use that as my main mode rather than mode 4.

Yamaha released new PW-XM motor which is just a PW-X3 with better cooling efficiency & lighter.

I guess we could see Giant speccing it from MY24 to fix some of these overheating issues...until then good luck!

I have a Rockshox super deluxe coil shock that I wanted to install on my Reign. The Rockshox shock that I was trying to install has bearings installed in the eyelet from factory, but the one I took off had no bearings in the eyelet. The bottom bolt does not fit through the bearing in the eyelet. My question is if I can just remove the bearings in the coil shock and fit the coil shock? I have found info online that eyelet diameter is universal, so I guess this would work? View attachment 122199

Yes just remove all bearings and it'll fit, eyelet diameter is universal and Reign E+ doesn't require anything in it to fit as it's attached to a large axle.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Well, moving to a Magnesium housig is a step towards the right direction. But there are still no heat sink fins like other vendors are using. But I will try it once its available on a Reign Carbon Elite 😜
Yep, Reign Advanced E+ Elite... Must be in the works, would just make sense when you look at the Giant lineup. 👍

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
Yep, Reign Advanced E+ Elite... Must be in the works, would just make sense when you look at the Giant lineup. 👍

Elite would mean 85nm motor paired with 400Wh battery, not for me!

I would hope for the same line up as the Trance X E+ (Aluminum, Carbon & Carbon Elite).

eMTB segment being so profitable for Giant, I also guess that they're working on it to snag some of that enduro carbon eMTB market share.

Bad-Latitude

Aug 21, 2022
Simi Valley
Ok so I did the latest update and then did a ride to see how everything was. No over heating this time and the ride was in 95 degree weather with a decent amount of climbing so it seems the overheating isn’t a problem. Then put it on the charger and it charged all the way to 100% without having to restart it. So it seems as though the charging issue was fixed with the latest update.

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
For those looking to replace that Float X2 that is always broken or need to be serviced, Rockshox is about to release their 2024 Vivid.

They even bumped the regular service interval from 50H to 100H and the Ultimate version comes with HBO.

Bye bye X2.

Vivid.png

Mr Dog

Sep 26, 2021
Switzerland
Can you even tell the difference between air shocks?
You can definitely tell the difference between a not riding because your X2 is in for service and something that doesnt break.

I have a Trek Rail with a RS delux select (super basic) and the difference between that and a properly working X2 is staggering. Trouble is the X2 is so damn fragile.

I would bet on that new Vivid for reliability and performance any day

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles