Recommendations for a ladies mtb or hybrid.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I am looking for ideas for an ebike for my wife. She will shortly have a replacement hip operation and I am looking at an ebike as a recovery aid. I want her to be able to ride out with me...no tarmac....fire roads bridleways and mellow single track only so no "real" mtb! She will not be able to manage standard mtb frame design so a step through is needed. I want decent components and xc type wheels and tyres. Hardtail would suffice. Anyone gone down this route that can advise?

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
Recently bought a Cube Acid 500 2019 with trapeze frame for my wife. Same type of riding, she’s very please so far.
Gets us out together on the gentle stuff.

£1599 from Freeborn bikes in Horsham.
Give them a call and ask for Joe.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Cube or Haibike probably have the biggest ranges of that kind of bike; Liv (ladies offshoot of Giant) would also be worth a look, as would the HT Treks. There should be a decent level of choice out there and maybe some end of model year bargains, just don’t expect the forks to be anything above very basic coil spring model.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Ok ta. I would certainly prefer air sprung fork so will look out for that. I will only buy from a lbs although happy to travel a bit. I know locally I have Whyte Scott Cube Giant Specialized and Merida. I will have to check re Haibike

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
I see a couple of options, small fully with a long dropper post and straddle the bike to get on from the rear rather than leg over or through, depending on her leg length. You are a bit future proofed and if it's the same as yours then free spare battery! With any hardtail look carefully at the maximum size rear tyre you can get on it, I put 2.8s on my boys bikes to get a bit of cushioning in the rear, comfort and traction are more important than efficiency or high speed handling.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Wife just bought a cube access 500 HT 2019 and loves it. Chain / cassette heavy duty and although the forks are Suntours they are quite beefy and robust at 34mm. Just add a nice comfy gel seat and all sorted. Even has holes for kick stand / paniers etc. Also compared to other bikes with similar specs it’s dirts cheap.
Brand new at £1700

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I did think about the benefits of having something similar to my own bike from the point of view of familiarity with maintenance etc. My analogue bike is a Cube (Stereo) and I have been impressed with its build quality and reliability so a Cube for my wife is certainly an option.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Went for a Cube 120 hybrid for my wife and no regrets so far (Liv/Giant looks good also).
I don´t see W specific model in 2020 Cube.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles