Recommendations for a sensible priced dropper post.

mtb-steve

Nov 4, 2021
Cumbria
The oem dropper on my Orbea Wild FS has decided it's not going to play anymore. It's fairly worn anyway so I need to replace it.
160mm drop and 31.6 diameter.
I mainly use it getting on and off the bike as I trail ride (no interest in bike parks or groomed trails)
I after recommendations for a sensibly priced dropper that is good enough, it would also be nice if it has spares available such as the bushes and keys to rebuild it, so I'm happy paying a little more to have one that'll last and be rebuildable.

TIA

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
My last two bikes have had BikeYoke Revive droppers. The price does not seem reasonable at first glance. These posts are completely rebuildable, though. Contrast this with that big name company with high-production capacity, that gets their seatpost installed on a lot of factory bikes. The price is inexpensive, true. But you need to buy TWO of these seatposts so you'll have a spare. Otherwise your bike will be out-of-commission when the seatpost is sent back to the factory for warranty repair. So whatever you get, make sure that it's serviceable at home.

mtb-steve

Nov 4, 2021
Cumbria
Mmm, just tried getting the post from Wiggle, but their system must be having a problem as I can't create an account. :confused:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Brand x! Cheap and cheerful, do the job, no complaints.
I agree 100% about Brand X droppers. I cannot see how they can produce such a reliable piece of kit for the money.

I have previously bought Brand X from CRC and I wondered about that as CRC are having financial difficulties right now. But a quick use of Mr Google says that there are plenty of places to get your Brand X from.

Edit: When looking at the dropper on whoever's website, advance the pictures to the end of the set and you should find a dimensioned drawing that provides sufficient information for you to decide whether the dropper will fit your bike. It will also help you to decide that the dropper will not be so long that the saddle will be too high for comfort.

Last edited:

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
I know, but being a branded item I'd be able to fall back on the UK importer.
I wouldn't worry about that. Halfords have announced they will honour Wiggle warranties and I'd also endorse Brand X stuff. Good gear & reliable.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Another vote for Brand X droppers but I must say the lever is very basic.

I pair them up with the Shimano dropper lever, around £20, available in either band-on or i-spec, it’s a great quality bearing type lever comparable to far more expensive branded types but for a fraction of the cost

mtb-steve

Nov 4, 2021
Cumbria
Thanks for the recommendations, I've Just ordered a brand-x 170 from Wiggle on my credit card, so if it doesn't turn up I'll contact my bank.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Wow, great price on the brand-x!

I will say a huge advantage of the oneup is how "low" the saddle gets with respect to the collar, so for anyone with an older bike with a long seattube or even someone that sized up, the one up ends up feeling like you have 2-3 extra cm of space when it is fully slammed vs other posts.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
OneUp - they usually have a single sale a year around black Friday, so hopefully they will be a bit cheaper soon for a limited time period.

Xman

May 13, 2021
Tetbury
I opted for a one up dropper, recommended by my local bike shop.
I haven't used it in anger yet but it is well reviewed and made, plus its serviceable, repairable and comes with spacers for adjustable travel.
What more do you want
Geoff

Zagora

Jan 2, 2022
Milton Keynes Riviera
Wow, great price on the brand-x!

I will say a huge advantage of the oneup is how "low" the saddle gets with respect to the collar, so for anyone with an older bike with a long seattube or even someone that sized up, the one up ends up feeling like you have 2-3 extra cm of space when it is fully slammed vs other posts.
Plus one for....oneup. I bought one for that exact reason, I gained an extra 25mm drop compared to the bontrager one

Giox

Aug 4, 2020
Switzerland/Italy
The oem dropper on my Orbea Wild FS has decided it's not going to play anymore. It's fairly worn anyway so I need to replace it.
160mm drop and 31.6 diameter.
I mainly use it getting on and off the bike as I trail ride (no interest in bike parks or groomed trails)
I after recommendations for a sensibly priced dropper that is good enough, it would also be nice if it has spares available such as the bushes and keys to rebuild it, so I'm happy paying a little more to have one that'll last and be rebuildable.

TIA
TranzX which is the actual manufacturer of BandX if you want basic but reliable, for premium feeling without premium cost OneUp

mtb-steve

Nov 4, 2021
Cumbria
Arrived back from holiday last night to my new Brand X dropper from Wiggle sitting in the Kitchen (my son rescued it from the green house)
Now fitted, along with new discs and pads

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles