Seat bag with dropper post

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
What under seat bags are you using with your dropper posts? I’ve got a Topeak, but it secures to the seat post, so will only drop about an inch. Are there any that just secure to the seat?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Personally i wouldnt go with a saddle bag and a dropper post, aside from potentially fouling issues with the post, your rear wheel may hit the bag when the post is slammed.

A good alternative, which I have and a few other members, is the Dakine Hot Laps bag - it is designed to velcro round the frame, bat can also be attached to saddle rails if you still want to go down that route

HOT LAPS GRIPPER BIKE BAG

Screenshot 2020-04-29 at 08.31.43.png

Screenshot 2020-04-29 at 08.31.50.png

Screenshot 2020-04-29 at 08.32.39.png

Screenshot 2020-04-29 at 08.35.18.png

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
If that a concern you can always put some helitape/invisiframe type tape on the frame. I haven't found ti to be an issue, but then again I like my bikes with a bit of trail patina!

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
I did think that after I typed it!

What other options are people using? I was carrying my tools in my Camelbak, but want as little weight on my back as possible.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
At the moment Soloutions for putting kit on your bike rather than your body are all the rage - the Hotlaps bag is a variation on what is know as an Enduro Strap, which is basically a marketing term for a variety of Velcro straps designed to attach things to your bike.

There are also quite a few interesting and good “on bike” tool and storage systems, e.g One Up components, Specilized and a few others do multi tools that are designed to fit in the fork steerer tube.

The Bum bag, or hip pack as the industry has rebranded it, is also very popular, and a good option, as it keeps weight off your back, but still allows you to carry water and essentials. The good ones are great and you don’t notice them when riding, I have never liked wearing a backpack but don’t mind using a hip pack when going on a ride where I might need more on me that usual.

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
If you can get past the cost, Wolf Tooth do some tidy solutions for on bike storage. Have a search for Wolf Tooth B-rad.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Be aware that full suspension bikes will have rear tyres that rise-up and could hit a saddle pouch with or without a dropper post.

I use a cylindrical plastic Zefal 'tool box' and a matching bottle cage (side-load type). It's water tight so tools won't get wet and rusty. I had to remove a middle section to shorten the container because there's not a lot of space on my bike. But there's still enough space in there (only just!) to get all the essentials in, including an inner tyre tube.

It's not available in my country so I had to order them in from overseas... relatively inexpensive.

For hydration, I'll use a Camelbak for long rides.

Zefal Bottle Tool Holder.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 8.51.38 PM.png

Phill_B_34

Feb 11, 2019
Brisbane, AUS
I've got a Ergon E-Mountain Sport saddle that comes with the mounting point and slide bracket for a Topeak Wedge. Everything I need fits in the Wedge (it's a size S, the larger one has another strap for the seatpost and would probably be hit by the tyre on compression - didn't want that!) except for a spare tube that I strap to the frame.

WedgePack01.jpg

WedgePack02.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Surely when the set is fully dropped the bag hits the rear when the suspension is compressed?

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
20200501_124716.jpg
20200501_125255.jpg

First picture shows shock ring at nearly full extension with the seat post dropped. The mudguard is flexing toward the tyre which is just rubbing but still turning OK. With sag at 30% sag I can't bounce the bike hard enough to get it as far as this. Pretty sure even if there was a hit this hard if wouldn't damage the mudguard.

Second photo is the sag ring with the seat pack just touching the mudguard which isn't flexing at this point.

Seat post is 25mm out of the frame so I think this will (just) work for me but everyone's circumstances are going to be different.

Thanks @R120 for getting me to check it though.

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
The B-rad roll top bag with mounting plate in the water bottle holes is no good, as the plate is too flat, so you can’t hook the strap in. So, I’m sending that back, and have ordered a water bottle shaped Topeak bag, with side load holder. Will see if that fits the bill.

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
The B-rad roll top bag with mounting plate in the water bottle holes is no good, as the plate is too flat, so you can’t hook the strap in. So, I’m sending that back, and have ordered a water bottle shaped Topeak bag, with side load holder. Will see if that fits the bill.
It’s designed to be mounted to a base rail...
B-RAD Mounting Bases

Although I don’t have to use one on my Trance.
9B4F6DD6-5172-4071-AD48-51DD7213D7B7.jpeg

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Going off topic, but I note the nice Karcher in the background, dont point that thing anywhere near your emtb!

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
Going off topic, but I note the nice Karcher in the background, dont point that thing anywhere near your emtb!

Nope, that’s for the cars/ motorbike. I know people that use them on their ebikes, but I’m not that brave!

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
The more recent Karchers allow you to use very low pressure spray, so you could use it on the sensitive bits and use more force to blow mud off the tyres.

maynard

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Personally i wouldnt go with a saddle bag and a dropper post, aside from potentially fouling issues with the post, your rear wheel may hit the bag when the post is slammed.

A good alternative, which I have and a few other members, is the Dakine Hot Laps bag - it is designed to velcro round the frame, bat can also be attached to saddle rails if you still want to go down that route

HOT LAPS GRIPPER BIKE BAG

View attachment 29961

View attachment 29962

View attachment 29964

View attachment 29965
Cool looking bike.

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
I did think that after I typed it!

What other options are people using? I was carrying my tools in my Camelbak, but want as little weight on my back as possible.
Interesting, one of the benefits that sold me on my first Camelbak, 25+ years ago, was getting the weight off my bike frame. Not as big a deal with an e-bike, but I haven't used a water-bottle cage since. When I'm riding light I just put a water bottle into my jersey pocket.

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
Interesting, one of the benefits that sold me on my first Camelbak, 25+ years ago, was getting the weight off my bike frame. Not as big a deal with an e-bike, but I haven't used a water-bottle cage since. When I'm riding light I just put a water bottle into my jersey pocket.

with an ongoing back issue, I need as little weight as possible on my back, so the more I can strap to the bike, the better!

Mooree

Jan 18, 2022
USA
I will start by saying yes, I was confused at first when I ordered the ICOCOPRO mountain bike saddlebag, but I was not disappointed when I received it. I really appreciate it. Small and compact, that's why you would buy this particular sized saddlebag. Super sturdy. The zippers have a nice enclosure or flap when they close. Helps with waterproofing. Reflective strip / surrounding material. There are 3 small mesh sides to separate your items

Last edited:

wildsau2

Jul 6, 2018
Germany, Karlsruhe
FDBC61CD-837D-462B-836B-AE39F6330B7C.jpeg

i use the toppeak omni backup (40 Eur) for (very) long rides in summer. super stable (cnc), no bouncing. works with dropper. you can mount whatever you want, i ve mounted two bottle holder w/ 2x500ml. in one bottle is water i swap the bottle when the main bottle is empty, in the other bottle i have a jacket, tools whatever. sure, its not for downhill but for cross country or easy trails.

Orbimar

Feb 4, 2022
Marin, California
I picked up a Topeak wedge size S on sale at REI for my new Rise and it works great. It’s a small tool pouch that clips into a mount that clamps on the seat rails. I’ve got a minimal kit - a couple of air cartridges and a valve, a multitool, a tubeless plug kit, some wipes and a pair of nitrile gloves; it easily holds that in a pouch not much bigger than a fist. I’ll post a pic if anyone’s interested.

Last edited:

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
I picked up a Topeak wedge size S on sale at REI for my new Rise and it works great. It’s a small tool pouch that clips into a mount that clamps on the seat rails. I’ve got a minimal kit - a couple of air cartridges and a valve, a multitool, a tubeless plug kit, some wipes and a pair of nitrile gloves; it easily holds that in a pouch not much bigger than a fist. I’ll post a pic if anyone’s interested.
Orbimar . . . Which plug kit did you find? The ones I see on Amazon most have big handles which is not going to fit in my small underseat bag I'm trying out. Thx

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles