Which under seat bag do you use?

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
I don't see an accessories forum here, so I'll ask this in the general forum . . .
The first bag Lizard Skin ‎Li9721 I tried from Amazon was tiny, so I sent it back.
I just ordered the Rock Bros ‎C16-BK arriving tomorrow. But I'd like to avoid an under seat bag that interferes with the dropper post. I like the way the Rock Bros has a rubber fastener around the post rather than several velcro fasteners. I saw too many negative reviews of bikers losing their bag due to it falling off 😢

I just something for shorter rides to carrry 2 CO2 cartridges and the small inflating head, a tube, 2 tire levers, patches etc and that Lizard Skin bag was even too small for those items!

For longer outings I use: a Bontrager MIK trunk rack bag (see pic).

Any recommendations?
Thanks

41294FGULAL._SS284_.jpg

51aFJlrNrxL._SY180_.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 11.35.49 AM 2.png

Last edited:

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
I've used the same setup, but since the introduction to a dropper post, I converted to a hip-pack.
Like this - many different solutions small/medium/water/etc
Thanks for that quick response aarfeldt. Yes I thought of that as an option too, as I have several fanny packs that would work. I'll see how the one coming tomorrow fits. If that does not work out, a fanny pack would probably be the way to go.

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
We use these on our Rails.

View attachment 93828
Ya, those are sweet. Another good suggestion. On the Powerfly, my iphone is already integrated in the control head (see pic) it uses the Cobi app. I'm leaning towards just having a small bag behind me (so I don't have to look at it the whole ride) or even the fanny pack idea where I don't have to worry about an under seat bag falling off either. But I do like your bag. It reminds me of the console in my car where everything I need is at right at my fingertips!

Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 1.08.40 PM.png

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I just ordered the Rock Bros ‎C16-BK arriving tomorrow. But I'd like to avoid an under seat bag that interferes with the dropper post. I like the way the rock Bros has a rubber fastener around the post rather than several velcro fasteners.

I've run plenty over the years. The two that stand out are a Topeak that has a clamp that attaches to the saddle rails. Mine fell apart after two rides and my tools were lost. The other is an Arundell, which is about as nice as you can get for a seat bag. I put a zip-tie to hold it up a little higher where it wouldn't interfere with the dropper. The downside is that it makes a helluva racket when blasting down rock gardens. It's so loud that it sounds like your bike is falling apart.

My current solution is a OneUp EDC toolkit for the headset and a OneUp EDC pump that contains some other tools. Now all the necessities are contained in the bike. The exception is when I feel a need to carry an extra tube. For that I use a ratchet-strap contraption from KOM Cycling. It does the same thing as a velcro strap, but it's more expensive and looks cooler. Honestly, a velcro strap is probably just as good.

I really like the elegant simplicity of this setup. There's no longer a need to concern myself with tools. I just fill up a water bottle and go.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I use a Lezyne saddle bag. It is secured by a thick velcro strap around the seat rails so does not interfere with the dropper. he bag itself is quite small but virtually disappears under the seat so also does not risk hitting the rear wheel when the saddle is slammed and the rear suspension compressed. I carry 2 co2 cannisers plus adapter, multi tool, tyre levers and tube repair kit in it. I carry a spare tube on the frame with an enduro strap. ( I run tubeless so the tube and tube repair kit is only there if a tyre gets ripped). I carry other spares together with a bladder in a waist bag.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I carry everything in the top bar bag (pic above).

CO2 cannister + adapter
Lightweight inner tube
Tyre levers
Muc-Off sealant
Multitool
Puncture plug kit
2 x nitrile gloves
Small cable ties
and space for my phone in the top

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
I carry everything in the top bar bag (pic above).

CO2 cannister + adapter
Lightweight inner tube
Tyre levers
Muc-Off sealant
Multitool
Puncture plug kit
2 x nitrile gloves
Small cable ties
and space for my phone in the top
Thanks irie, As mentioned above, I was looking for a small under seat bag just for my shorter trips and I'm assembling a duplicate set of essentials so I don't have to transfer them from my big longer ride trunk rack bag each time.

Thanks for this list. Now I see what I'm missing:
* The puncture plug it is a great idea, so as not to have to break the bead and install a spare tube for those punctures over 1/4 of an inch that the sealant won't take care of.
* Extra sealant
* Light weight tube-I did not know these existed?
I had the rest of your list in my big bag already, now I can assemble another kit for the small under seat bag that came yesterday. As pictured above the under seat Rock Bros bag came yesterday. I think it will be a winner for me. It's a decent size over the crapola Lizard Skin bag I first ordered. it's a quality build with a safer rubber strap around the seat post rather than all Velcro straps.

One other item that I bought last week for my bags is the:
Park Tool TB-2 Emergency Tire Boot patch
Description: Cut your sidewall on the edge of a rock? Save your ride and your sanity with the Park Tool Emergency Tire Boot designed to hold your tire together, so you can keep going. $6.50 U.S. for 3 of them.

P.S. Do you think this pic below is overkill for my Bontrager bike rack bag when I take a ride to go for some ice cream? 🙀

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 5.50.01 AM.png

Last edited:

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
* Light weight tube-I did not know these existed?

"Park Tool TB-2 Emergency Tire Boot patch" - good idea, will fit inside bag no probs. (y)

Last edited:

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York

"Park Tool TB-2 Emergency Tire Boot patch" - good idea, will fit inside bag no probs. (y)
Wowsa! That lightweight tube is a tad pricey on Amazon here in the USA:

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 9.23.21 AM.png

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
Update: The Rock Bros bag is great, but it negates the reason for my dropper post. The rubber clasp that goes around the post I thought would attach high up, but it's in the middle of the post. I'll have to return it and go the fanny or hip pack route for short trips.

Also, here is an older thread that I did not find before I asked about under seat bags: Seat bag with dropper post - EMTB Forums

Last edited:

Landy Andy

Feb 8, 2021
Herts
I’ve got an Altura bag on mine. Been very very much tested and been great and dry. Got full size 29” spare tube, puncture kit, multi tool, another tool, and a few other bits in there and could fit more if required. Does not attach to seat post, and easily quick released.

409FE58D-F1D3-4414-9F79-8560FFC251FC.jpeg

9DEB5382-C33A-42FF-8885-4B97F832D369.jpeg

12EE4FC4-7C2E-4BD4-851F-DDFA9FE96E60.jpeg

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
I’ve got an Altura bag on mine. Been very very much tested and been great and dry. Got full size 29” spare tube, puncture kit, multi tool, another tool, and a few other bits in there and could fit more if required. Does not attach to seat post, and easily quick released.

View attachment 94085

View attachment 94086

View attachment 94087
Which plug kit did you find? The ones I see on Amazon most have big handles which is not going to fit in my small under seat bag that I'm trying out. Thx. I do like the way the Allura does not attach to the post and it has a plastic clamp on the rails as I'm not a fan of Velcro as I know I'll eventually lose the bag as the Velcro wears out from taking it on and off too much as I switch out the bags for different ride lengths.. Thx

Landy Andy

Feb 8, 2021
Herts
Which plug kit did you find? The ones I see on Amazon most have big handles which is not going to fit in my small under seat bag that I'm trying out. Thx. I do like the way the Allura does not attach to the post and it has a plastic clamp on the rails as I'm not a fan of Velcro as I know I'll eventually lose the bag as the Velcro wears out from taking it on and off too much as I switch out the bags for different ride lengths.. Thx

bag

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York

bag
Thanks Landy. Appears neither of the two are available in the States though.

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Topeaks with the clamp fall apart and become useless. Ok on a road bike maybe.
This will happen to most of saddlebags. Even the ones with velcro straps, so I use to sew an extra piece of velcro, so that it overlaps the other side increasing the contact surface.
If the part that holds it to the seatpost is too wide, I also change it and use only a 3mm bungee to hold the bag to the seatpost.
Saddlebags are the best choice if you have many bikes and a small tool kit. I carry only a multi tool, tyre levers, two co2 canisters and a plug. The bikes all have different tyre sizes so I keep inner tubes velcroed to the top tube of each one.

nosuchuser

Jun 10, 2020
London
I don't saddlebag but do use a dakine hotlaps gripper bag that goes round the top tube and nestles up to the down tube. Could run it as a saddlebag I suppose.

Spare inner tube in the battery compartment on the whyte and another strapped to the down tube of sommet: 2021-07-18 09.01.11.jpg

Easy to move my core tools between bikes.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Wowsa! That lightweight tube is a tad pricey on Amazon here in the USA:

View attachment 93978
Watch those things. they are expensive and crap!
I had to use mine recently, and after pumping up the tyre, whenever I tried to un-screw my pump, the valve came out and I lost all my air.
So I got out my valve key and tried to tighten it up. But it is soft plastic and just went further into the tube so my pump didn't work any more.

I just got the Schwalbe Aerothan Tube. Looks better quality, is small and light, and was cheaper.
I haven't tried it yet (Hope I don't need to)

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
Update: I went through the gambit learning curve being new to e-biking to find ways to carry stuff. Went from my Trek rear mounted bag on the MIK frame that I owned from my acoustic. (Too noisy and rattily over bumps). Then to ordering several under seat bags (all of them were an issue with the dropper). I don't trust the safety of the styles that only using seat rails to attach. Then to an EVOC back pack (too sweaty on my back, but I'll use it for skiing and traveling).
My issue is most of the stuff I was lugging around I can easily do without or just leave them in my SUV.
But the emergency kit is what weighs the most (tube, patch kit, spoons, 2 CO2's, CO2 valve, multi tool). It is the heaviest maybe 2 lbs. So if it's in a back pack or lumbar pack, it's still annoyingly heavy.

So yesterday at the Trek store I spotted the Bontrager Elite Seat Pack on their rack $40. Had a rubber double clasp that sits real high up on the dropper post and velcro straps over the rails. Rubberized waterproof zipper and what I liked the best was at the end of each velcro strap are eyelets that I could run a zip tie through and eliminate the potential of losing the whole kit on a bumpy trail. When I got home I installed it and so far it's a winner. I don't slam down my post anyway as I'm not a jumper.

Also, the Osprey hydration lumbar bag came yesterday. I'll use it for longer rides. Holds up to two bottles. But I run with a bottle in the frame holder anyway and I can use the empty pocket or pockets for other stuff. Has several zippered storage pockets etc and is of real quality build. Also good for skiing and traveling. Now that I have my weighty emergency kit permenently stowed away on the bike I can use this lumbar bag to extend my riding season for clothing items as the weather gets cooler.

Thanks to all for your input to my original post above 👍🏻

Edit: just took a 12 mile ride to check things out. Last night I was even able to attach my flashing red light to the back of the seat bag. It was attached to the top of the seat post before I installed the bag. I used a hot awl to melt two holes and bolted on a spare light holder I had on hand. Re: the Osprey lumbar bag . . . it was so comfortable and light I had to keep checking back with my hand to make sure it was still there!

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 10.33.43 AM.png

IMG_6834.jpeg

IMG_6836.jpeg

81ttBhscBJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

IMG_6845.jpeg

Last edited:

Trom

Sep 1, 2022
Holmfirth
Have a Topeak one for cross bike, but when on the e- bike tried I have tried all sorts of stuff, zip tied to bars/frame etc, and frame bags, but gone back to trusted Osprey 25ltr back pack with aerolite system (keeps it away from your back) its so light, and go for a bottle for fluid if weight on your back is an issue, also fitted a back protector inside from my motorcycle leathers just in case, never gets sweaty.
T

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
Have a Topeak one for cross bike, but when on the e- bike tried I have tried all sorts of stuff, zip tied to bars/frame etc, and frame bags, but gone back to trusted Osprey 25ltr back pack with aerolite system (keeps it away from your back) its so light, and go for a bottle for fluid if weight on your back is an issue, also fitted a back protector inside from my motorcycle leathers just in case, never gets sweaty.
T
Thanks Trom for your comments. In the end, I actually did go with a small underseat bag (that works with my dropper) for my emergency stuff and the Osprey Lumbar bag for other comfort items. I got to try it for one ride so far as it's raining here again here past 3 days. You;re right about the back netting. I noticed that as I removed it from the Amazon package. I noticed that the netting rides the pack like a 1/4 inch off your back to give this pack an ingenious form of "back air conditioning". As I mentioned above, it was also so light and comfortable to wear I had to keep checking back with my hand to see if it was still there!. The full EVOC back pack I also bought for longer rides sopped up my back. So much so, I ordered a special air flow back pad that is supposed to provide more air. Also, as mentioned in another thread I think much of the sweat was my fault as I was wearing a cotton t- shirt under a bright polyester jersey and it was the cotton holding the moisture. Wearing the wicking polyester only would probably prevent this as Steve another member pointed out it is a bad idea to wear cotton underneath.

41rkI2kdiRL._SS284_.jpg

tempImageBpoiGn.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles