Dropper Post recommendations for a Cube Stereo 160 TM (2020)

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Hi All. As the title says, I have a Cube Stereo 160 TM. It is the 20" frame and came with a Cube 31.6mm 150mm Dropper.
This works very well; however, I have the feeling it is a little short. When doing steep technical rides, it would be nice if it went lower. At the moment I have it about 2 - 3 cm higher than the lowest point. Currently I think mine could extend a little higher also for proper ergonomic peddling. I am 180cm tall. I am looking at upgrading and wondering if there are any recommendations or things I have to watch for.
I could go for either a 170 or a 200mm Dropper. I guess if it is too long that is also a disadvantage as in its lowest position in the frame it would be too high to sit on and pedal comfortably.
I want good quality for money. Cable is there so I don't need a radio triggered thing.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Take a look at Brand-X Ascend droppers

I had a quick look and found this one at Chain Reaction Cycles 170mm travel, 31.6mm diameter post (£170). This one has an external cable, but they also do stealth versions, I just didn't spend long enough to look.

Brand-X Ascend II XL Dropper Seatpost (170mm) | Chain Reaction Cycles

The good thing is that if you page right on the picture, you will find a dimensioned drawing that will allow you to work out two things:
1) Will it fully insert into your seat tube?
2) Will the saddle be too high when fully extended?

The Brand-X droppers get very good reviews and I like them. I have fitted one to my grandson's bike (now sold) and his new bike came with one fitted. Both lasted more than two years before the bikes were sold.

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
I recently replaced a 150mm Fox transfer with a 185mm BikeYoke Divine. Super low stack height means you can easily fit a bigger drop in the same space. Works fantastically too, super smooth.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles