Flat Pedals .. recommendations for Muppet MTBing

tedturbine

May 8, 2019
Worthing
I don't either and I wear adidas trainers to ride but the fear of doing it is real. I do tend to get the odd bite when standing over the crossbar and moving the bike around to open gates etc

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I just can’t seem to understand how people keep destroying their shins with pedal gashes ?‍♂️
I must be doing something wrong. I’ve only managed to do it once, and that was because I was wearing riding thongs, and my foot slipped out of the footwear.
Like really, you wear 510’s and have big grippy pins on the pedals, how do you even slip a pedal ?

This is the man who can clench his buttocks with such force than he can actually destroy a saddle ! :)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
That's a shame that they are that much Zim, doing a quick conversion from Euro's to Aussie dollars, it's exactly double. No wonder you guys want to get out of Europe again.

I've only found the one place so far, so the markup could be just scary by that seller . I think you can buy them directly and they'll ship world wide.

Just trying to weigh up all the pro's / con's of the suggestions ..

The DMR V12 Mags came up quite cheap, but after researching they get some poor longevity reviews on the bearings ... probably why they're so much cheaper than the Vaults ! :)

I quite like the idea of the composite ones, the chesters .. but I like all the others too .. :)

The DMR vault magnesium's with the Ti axle are probably the best for my abilities to give me that extra millisecond .. :p:ROFLMAO: sadly, they're out of stock ..

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I've only found the one place so far, so the markup could be just scary by that seller . I think you can buy them directly and they'll ship world wide.

Just trying to weigh up all the pro's / con's of the suggestions ..

The DMR V12 Mags came up quite cheap, but after researching they get some poor longevity reviews on the bearings ... probably why they're so much cheaper than the Vaults ! :)

I quite like the idea of the composite ones, the chesters .. but I like all the others too .. :)

The DMR vault magnesium's with the Ti axle are probably the best for my abilities to give me that extra millisecond .. :p:ROFLMAO: sadly, they're out of stock ..
It’s going to come down to your budget by the sounds of it. So what is your budget ?
Have a look at the offerings from Specialized. The Bennies or the Boomslangs that even have spare pins onboard. Shimano saints and the new XT’s also look solid.
I’d stay away from composite pedals as I think you are as hard on pedals as I am on saddles ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
OK ... decision made !

The winner is .... Raceface Chesters....

I quite like the idea of the composite pedals, the extra shock protection as @Beekeeper mentioned for instance, tiny as it may be.

Also, were a bargain at €37 for the last pair, so I won't cry too much when I scratch them ..

@outerlimits Wasn't really a budget set, more down to value for what you get and what people who've used them recommend and have good experiences with. In fairness it wasn't easy deciding as I like the design and specification of all the ones recommended. I don't have 500 years of riding experience behind me to know what degree of concave or pin pattern works best for me .. But I do have 5000+ combined years of riding experience available on the forum to see where a good place to start is ! :)

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I enjoy watching everyone playing opinion tennis.

I never realised how much “Science” is involved in a simple pedal, I just stand on them and try avoid getting attacked by them.

All I see is clips (?) or flats and obviously what looks nice.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
OK ... decision made !

I quite like the idea of the composite pedals, the extra shock protection as @Beekeeper mentioned for instance, tiny as it may be.

Also, were a bargain at €37 for the last pair, so I won't cry too much when I scratch them ..

@outerlimits Wasn't really a budget set, more down to value for what you get and what people who've used them recommend and have good experiences with. In fairness it wasn't easy deciding as I like the design and specification of all the ones recommended. I don't have 500 years of riding experience behind me to know what degree of concave or pin pattern works best for me .. But I do have 5000+ combined years of riding experience available on the forum to see where a good place to start is ! :)
Well done for finally making a decision ?
But can I just recommend one more thing ...

Get yourself one of these to put on your bars to keep you company as you ride along. You can talk to it as you ride along and it will reassure you that you have made the right decision. After all, it too is plastic, and one can never have too much plastic on their bike ?‍♂️

68C6DA74-427E-4CD4-A210-B2F5B49DFCA9.jpeg

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Something like this Rusty? Cheap as chips at $65 Aus and only 300gms for the pair. Been faultless so far and being so thin, less chance of pedal strikes
Looked at them but stayed with clips. Might try a set on my other bike for a while.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Well done for finally making a decision ?
But can I just recommend one more thing ...

Get yourself one of these to put on your bars to keep you company as you ride along. You can talk to it as you ride along and it will reassure you that you have made the right decision. After all, it too is plastic, and one can never have too much plastic on their bike ?‍♂️

View attachment 20500

I'm pretty tempted by one of those .. I think they have a little light too .. the best thing is that if someone really pisses you off, you can drop one and unoffensively shout "DUCK OFF"

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I'm pretty tempted by one of those .. I think they have a little light too .. the best thing is that if someone really pisses you off, you can drop one and unoffensively shout "DUCK OFF"
Look, I got one coming, as I need all the reassurance I can get, and need something semi soft on the bars I can smash my forehead into on occasions. He will be named ”Flamin Ducky McDuckface”

8FF2EE23-A207-41A9-93D5-173620E09D5B.jpeg

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
what are you even talking about?

I haven't actually recomended any pedal.

Whereas the only reason you've given for your recommendation of the One-Up composites is and

this tells us pretty much nothing else about the actual pedal, just that you don't have the foot eye co ordination or timing to not pedal into things. It's actually pretty funny that you genuinely believe that extra 2.5mm of clearance is bailing you out. Especially when you admit to ie. not having yet attained the skill to keep your feet on the things.

No matter how weak, at least you did bother to give a few reasons for your pedal choice.There's really no need to get wound up by my words or resort to personal insults and calling folk names just because you can't handle hearing the truth.

Lighten up, eh?
856b1fedf42fc7ef45babbc2484b2b8b.gif

(or light up, whatever works)

fdda4452cfab0bcb8df3eadac784b85e.gif

I see your still stuck in the non e-bike era ;), where you had to conform to all the rules of crank length verses leg length and some other sort of wanky formula to compute where your seat and handlebars need to be. You know what, all that goes out the window when you have a motor assisting you ;).

We can now enjoy pedalling through stuff or even, low and behold, around corners (because we like to ride fast), all because we CAN have shorter cranks and thinner pedals ;).

Pretty sure I didn't admit to not having the skills to keep my feet on the pedals, that's just you trying to justify your argument ;). I've had heaps of pedal strikes and bark off my shins, very rarely do any of my pedal strikes happen at the bottom of the stroke, they happen on skinny gutted tracks that have large rocks encroaching on your line, when you travel at speed on the tracks I ride then these things are going to happen but yes all the ground clearance I can create is a bonus for those times I do want to pedal through washouts/g-outs or up a 20 metre 70º rock strewn goat track step up ;).

I enjoy reading what components other people have fitted to their to their bikes or if someone is after an opinion, good or bad and especially if the post is heavy with pictures ;). You on the other hand have a tendency to demean most posts and opinions that you weigh in on, usually insulting people about their lack of skills or knowledge and then you post a long winded protracted and boring post of your experience and skills, most of which I never finish because they're...well...so...bloody long (and boring, oh I said that already) ;).

Oh and here's a few more winks for you because I know you like them, ;););););););)
P.S There's no point replying because it will be too long and boring for me to read;)

Last edited:
Reactions: S D

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
OK ... decision made !

@outerlimits Wasn't really a budget set, more down to value for what you get and what people who've used them recommend and have good experiences with. In fairness it wasn't easy deciding as I like the design and specification of all the ones recommended. I don't have 500 years of riding experience behind me (like Gary) to know what degree of concave or pin pattern works best for me .. But I do have 5000+ combined years of riding experience available on the forum to see where a good place to start is ! :)

Fixed it for you!

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I see your still stuck in the non e-bike era ;), where you had to conform to all the rules of crank length verses leg length and some other sort of wanky formula to compute where your seat and handlebars need to be. You know what, all that goes out the window when you have a motor assisting you ;).

Now we can enjoy pedalling through stuff or even low and behold, around corners (because we like to ride fast) all because we can have shorter cranks and thinner pedals ;).

Pretty sure I didn't admit to not having the skills to keep my feet on the pedals, that's just you trying to justify your argument ;). I've had heaps of pedal strikes and bark off my shins, very rarely do any of my pedal strikes happen at the bottom of the stroke, they happen on skinny gutted tracks that have large rocks encroaching on your line, when you travel at speed on the tracks I ride then these things are going to happen but yes all the ground clearance I can create is a bonus for those times I want to pedal through washouts/g-outs or up a 20 metre 70º rock strewn goat track step up ;).

I enjoy reading what components other people have fitted to their to their bikes or if someone is after an opinion, good or bad and especially if the post is heavy with pictures ;). You on the other hand have a tendency to demean most posts and opinions that you weigh in on, usually insulting people about their lack of skills or knowledge and then you post a long winded protracted and boring post of your experience and skills, most of which I never finish because they're...well...so...bloody long (and boring, oh I said that already) ;).

Oh and here's a few more winks for you because I know you like them, ;););););););)
P.S There's no point replying because it will be too long and boring for me to read;)
Dam you... I now have to get another duck, and name it Gary, ffs ?‍♂️

Reactions: S D

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
I just can’t seem to understand how people keep destroying their shins with pedal gashes ?‍♂️
I must be doing something wrong. I’ve only managed to do it once, and that was because I was wearing riding thongs, and my foot slipped out of the footwear.
Like really, you wear 510’s and have big grippy pins on the pedals, how do you even slip a pedal ?
I’ve been riding flat pedals for the past 5 years, and I guess apart from those first few months I’ve only had few encounters of pins vs shins. It usually happens when not on the bike but when handling the bike. Good flat pedals with grippy pins and FiveTen’s works. I think it’s merely a matter of technique to get the pins to get a good bite at the shoe sole.
I always remember the mantra “heels down” and I’m like glued to the pedals - more than I’d ever been on SPD’s.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
It usually happens when not on the bike
Yes I wouldn't call myself skilled in the true sense or any sense really but the pins have so far only gripped my knees while walking the bike. Actually only a few spikes so far but they were nice deep ones.

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest

It's pretty easy if you f*** up a jump or a trick or while learning the proper technique.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
exactly :LOL:
It's the "shit in - shit out" principle. Shitty technique >> shitty looking shins.
Don’t get me wrong, I crash plenty enough, just don’t cop pedals to the shin. I did have a sharp rock pierce my shin once and ended up with 2 stitches. That was enough to keep me away from sharp objects.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet

We can now enjoy pedalling through stuff or even, low and behold, around corners (because we like to ride fast), all because we CAN have shorter cranks and thinner pedals ;).

Pretty sure I didn't admit to not having the skills to keep my feet on the pedals, that's just you trying to justify your argument ;). I've had heaps of pedal strikes and bark off my shins, very rarely do any of my pedal strikes happen at the bottom of the stroke, they happen on skinny gutted tracks that have large rocks encroaching on your line, when you travel at speed on the tracks I ride then these things are going to happen but yes all the ground clearance I can create is a bonus for those times I do want to pedal through washouts/g-outs or up a 20 metre 70º rock strewn goat track step up ;).

TLDR

Canakris

Jul 30, 2019
belgium
I was quite noob to flatpedals so my LBS mounted me Specialized Bennies for 89 euros. They're doing a great job, but I can't compare with other, soooo....

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think it's Too long , didn't read ..

But from Gary, it could mean True Love Dear Reader .. we probably need a thread for this .. :)

I suppose it could be Too long, destroys rectums .. but other than saddle issues, I'm not sure of the connection.

ahhh .. we do love a good thread de-tour ..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles