New flat pedal shoes. Any recommendations?

beanzz

Feb 7, 2023
United Kingdom
So I've been thinking about getting a new pair of flat pedal shoes cos my current five 10 freeriders and kinda in bad shape.
I'm doing a bit of research but thought I would get the opinion of anyone willing to answer here :)
So far I quite the look of a ride concept shoe

Snrbrtsn

Apr 7, 2021
Uk - Scotland
I’m on my second pair of ride concepts, I’d say they’re not long lasting, the soles are on par with five tens, if not the same so grip is good.
Whilst they’ve taken some abuse, I’m confident the wife killed the first pair when washing
An allround robust shoe that’s good for hiking and biking though small sized, just not long lasting

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
So I've been thinking about getting a new pair of flat pedal shoes cos my current five 10 freeriders and kinda in bad shape.
I'm doing a bit of research but thought I would get the opinion of anyone willing to answer here :)

There’s some good deals on the RC Wildcats at present, half price. I’ve been riding a pair this winter and they’re very comfortable and feel nice & solid. Still in decent condition too, unlike my SLX cassette & chain !

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've got the Adidas Terrex shoes and they're brilliant.
I've also got a pair of Northwave Tribe which aren't...

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
There are a few Youtubes on etmb comparisons. Somethimes they are sponsored or given free shoes for their reviews. But I used them on which ones were not great and I settled on a pair of these Crank Brothers Flats. I'm a big fan of the BOA dial in wire style laces. I also picked up a pair winter 510 Freeriders off Ebay for my cold weather shoes at the same time.

Screen Shot 2023-03-08 at 12.38.54 PM.png

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany
These:
Yes, very nice, arrived today. Very light, good walking, profiled sole. Colour said to be khaki / sand but looks more like olive green. Nice fit, look forwar for riding:

1A4888F0-38B3-4FC2-A082-A4896D2AE35A.jpeg

unclezz

May 3, 2020
CZ
Ride concepts livewire.
I am on third year with them and I am probably going to upgrade to hellion later this year.
Compared to my wife’ 5-10 free rider I consider my RC by far superior in durability and overall quality.

Last summer we went on mountains and got a lot of rain during a ride. My shoes were dry after a day. 5-10 took something like 3 days to dry :D

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
I'm of the opinion that one can never have enough shoes and have tried many different brands/models and here are the 5 in my rotation as of now:

-New Fox Union Flats (so far after a few rides VERY impressed).

-Specialized 2FO Roost

-Ride Concepts Tallac Boa

-Ride Concepts Powerline

-NorthWave Clan

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
I’ve got a pair of RC Hellion Elite and pair of Tallac (lace-up), Tallac has some toe front & heel traction cuts I’ve appreciated in wet/mud hike a bike situations. I’ve found their lace up-up a better fit on my narrower feet, the Boa lace version was bit sloppy.

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
you can find good deals on 5.10 freerider (and pro) on german on-line shops

Desert_Turtle

Mar 1, 2022
Palmdale, CA
I was a ride or die 5Ten rider but I’ve been wearing Ride Concepts shoes for a year and I have to admit that even though they wear much faster than the 5Tens they grip better and are more comfortable. I think the soles are softer. Anyway, you can’t go wrong with either brand but I like to ride in the RCs. I have Livewires, Wildcats, Hellions and Powerlines. Every time they go on sale I buy a couple of pairs. I must have a legit 10-12 pairs. I even have some that I use as regular shoes. They’re very comfy. I found Livewires for $47 a pair (shipped) this week and….I bought 2 pair.

hogicid

Jun 2, 2023
United States
I'm of the opinion that one can never have enough shoes and have tried many different brands/models and here are the 5 in my rotation as of now:

-New Fox Union Flats (so far after a few rides VERY impressed).

-Specialized 2FO Roost

-Ride Concepts Tallac Boa

-Ride Concepts Powerline
Socks and On Cloud Shoes
-NorthWave Clan
Hey. was cruising around the world wide web and was searching for a new MTB flat pedal shoe. For two years I rode with shoes from Pearl Izumi and now I wanna try something different. The BOA System sucks hard, the sole grip is ok but could be better, and the stiffness is nice. What are you guys riding for shoes? Even if someone has got any experience with Ride Concepts or the new Etnies shoes, I'm welcome if you share something about those shoes.

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
Five Ten Trailcross Gore-tex are my current favourites. The high ankle keeps gravel out, the shoe is somewhat waterproof (neoprene upper part isn't) and the tread is decent for walking up steep pinches. Before these I had Shimano GR7's which I liked, but the Trailcross GTX are better.

unclezz

May 3, 2020
CZ
Hey. was cruising around the world wide web and was searching for a new MTB flat pedal shoe. For two years I rode with shoes from Pearl Izumi and now I wanna try something different. The BOA System sucks hard, the sole grip is ok but could be better, and the stiffness is nice. What are you guys riding for shoes? Even if someone has got any experience with Ride Concepts or the new Etnies shoes, I'm welcome if you share something about those shoes.
Have ride Concepts livewire for about three years. I love them. Pretty durable shoes, nice rigidity, dry very fast and they are breathable enough.

The last summer I also bought a pair of Specialized 2F0 DH. Found them at a very low price so I decided to try.
The grip is unbelievable. Much more stable on pedals compared to the RC.
They are also more rigid and warmer.

I prefer the specialized for hard rides and RC for the way they let the feet breathe.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles