2023 recommended flat pedal shoes (best grip)

jene

May 12, 2021
Zaragoza
Guys, finally I gave a chance to the specialized dfo dh flat and I can confirm that they are more grippy than my current 5/10 freerider pro
IMG_20231202_131039.jpg

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
After trying most brands of shoes and pedals my favourite combination is:-

- One Up Alu Pedals (nice low profile stack so no pedal strikes and ultra grippy)
- Five Ten Trailcross Goretex for Winter
- Five Ten Trailcross XT (use for summer months) currently £42 reduced from £140 from Evans!

The Goretex keeps your foot completely dry and the stones out.

The XT keeps the stones out whilst keeping the foot breathable.

I also have some Freerider Pros, however I find I get a better foot placement on the Goretex/XT.

I am kind of an aggressive rider and can’t afford for a pedal slip (which I’ve never had). Also, in my opinion, you shouldn’t need to reposition your foot. Once set down, you shouldn’t need to take them off until the end of your segment/stage?

So the grippiest version is a must!
A070BC86-13DF-4A4B-8710-D8120C23E7E7.jpeg

Last edited:

Big Bike Basher

Dec 3, 2023
On my bike
I have used shimano boots for 10 years at least. I have 2 pairs they are spd but I never fitted cleats. They have vibram walking soles but they slide along pedals easily. Never been an issue but these new Leatts are strange to me because of that , i can't remember the last time I had grippy rubber soles.

View attachment 129769
😂😂😂😂 Surely if they were flat pedal shoes they wouldn't have the removable part to fit cleats...
Flat pedals are dangerous, get attached dude..

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
😂😂😂😂 Surely if they were flat pedal shoes they wouldn't have the removable part to fit cleats...
Flat pedals are dangerous, get attached dude..
They weren't flat pedal shoes I probably did use cleats with them once upon a time first pair at least ten years old . I found as I got older I wasn't happy with cleats in really technical stuff. Also i always preferred a boot 👢 as I have had too many stones bouncing of my ankles on fast rocky descents . Not many flat soled cycling specific boots available 10 years ago . Had a few skinned shins with beartrap pedals that's all . Seen so many folk fall and not managing to unclip more than I care to remember .

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
They weren't flat pedal shoes I probably did use cleats with them once upon a time first pair at least ten years old . I found as I got older I wasn't happy with cleats in really technical stuff. Also i always preferred a boot 👢 as I have had too many stones bouncing of my ankles on fast rocky descents . Not many flat soled cycling specific boots available 10 years ago . Had a few skinned shins with beartrap pedals that's all . Seen so many folk fall and not managing to unclip more than I care to remember .

Cleat boots on flat pedals is a terrible combination for grip!

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Cleat boots on flat pedals is a terrible combination for grip
Vibram sole with no cleat fitted has never been a problem with grip for me and I've done most of the man made places in Scotland with them. Remember we served our time using trainers back in the day 😄

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Vibram sole with no cleat fitted has never been a problem with grip for me and I've done most of the man made places in Scotland with them. Remember we served our time using trainers back in the day 😄

Oh yeah, I remember the days of trainers, wellies, hiking boots (with vibram soles). But having tried cleated shoes with the fill in rubber panel over the hole for the cleat on flat pedals, they are pretty awful. None of the above are as good as dedicated flat shoes like 5.10s for grip on flats. Shimano do hiking boot style shoes for flats if you like the boot style.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Oh yeah, I remember the days of trainers, wellies, hiking boots (with vibram soles). But having tried cleated shoes with the fill in rubber panel over the hole for the cleat on flat pedals, they are pretty awful. None of the above are as good as dedicated flat shoes like 5.10s for grip on flats. Shimano do hiking boot style shoes for flats if you like the boot style.
Wouldnt work with rubber bit i always removed the rubber bit and put silicone in to stop water working OK for me .

• Haha
Reactions: Dax

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles