Range Extenders

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I thought I'd start a thread where we can all post the available range extenders.

In a world where lighter bikes are becoming more "trendy" adding weight might not seem that appealing to everyone, but even all the lightweights have a factory range extender option for people who want to go a bit further than standard or whose terrain may involve significantly more climbing.

The range extender also gives people whose batteries may have degraded in capacity over the years a chance to refresh their bike to bring it back upto, or above, the capacity of many of the latest bikes which generally now ship with 625,700 or 750wh's as standard.

Technology hasn't really advanced much, so your existing "antique" bike, which might be 2, 3 or even 4 years old :eek: is probably not vastly different and is just as capable as many newer bikes, so if all you want is a bit more autonomy, a range extender, rather than a new bike is a cheaper option.

These are just some examples to get the thread started.

First up, for anyone who's been on the forum for a long time, there's one of the originals - Trailwatts. For Levos, Kenevo's and Focus Jam2 Shimano/tec pack bikes.

Volabike - A Spanish company but with the option to set the website to English :

252/378wh extenders for Bosch, Ebikemotion, Fazua, Giant, Mahle, Polini, Specialized.

E-batterycentre - Italian .

For Bosch, Specialized, Focus Tec Pack.

They do quite a funky hexagonal 360wh pack weighing 1600g which is compatible with Specialized, Shimano, Yamaha, Brose, Bafang, Oli, Bosch & altri :

1661686697860.png

1661686725285.png

1661686930434.png

1661686963192.png

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Haven’t got range anxiety yet, but someday I will. On an extended ride, away from home, I would definitely want the extra 150wh battery.

rpurdie

Jan 12, 2023
UK
Has anyone any experience of the Volabike extender for Shimano systems? I'm curious how invasive it is. There are pictures of them on a Santa Cruz Heckler but I suspect it would invalidate the motor, battery and frame warranties?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Has anyone any experience of the Volabike extender for Shimano systems? I'm curious how invasive it is. There are pictures of them on a Santa Cruz Heckler but I suspect it would invalidate the motor, battery and frame warranties?

They have a video of it on an Orbea Rise, but it just plugs into the charge port - this is the same as the Bafang M820 type extender options and then the two batteries just run in parallel.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Looks like for the other Shimano options E7000/E8000/EP8, they offer two installation routes :

From Volabike, we offer 2 types of installation kits. In one, the original Shimano wiring of the already modified bicycle is included, so that the connection to the extender kit is made in a simple way, replacing the original wiring with the one included in the kit and making use of connectors already prepared to connect the battery extend to the bike. With the other option, a modification kit is included, to be able to modify the original cable of the bicycle, saving the cost of the original Shimano cable that is included with the first option. All the kits include all the necessary material to carry out the installation, as well as all the necessary material to fix the battery in a 100% safe and reliable way to the bicycle frame.

The kit consists of:

Battery extender in hermetic transport bag, with power switch and charging port.
Aluminum anchor plate and screws for a secure fixation on the bicycle frame.
Control electronics.
2A charger with charge indicator.
Mounting hardware and accessories.
Blind cover for wiring.
Assembly and use manual.
This kit is prepared with 2 installation options (to choose):

Original Shimano wiring, already modified for the installation of the extender kit.
Modification kit for Shimano wiring using quick connectors.

Based on that, it looks reasonably easy to install and shouldn't invalidate anything as you're just swapping the wiring out with a section that splices to the extender.

rpurdie

Jan 12, 2023
UK
They have a video of it on an Orbea Rise, but it just plugs into the charge port - this is the same as the Bafang M820 type extender options and then the two batteries just run in parallel.

On the Shimano/Heckler, you can't plug anything into the charge port and still turn the cranks so it can't work like that there. The charge plug doesn't connect well at the best of times either, you couldn't ride and have it stay connected.

rpurdie

Jan 12, 2023
UK
Looks like for the other Shimano options E7000/E8000/EP8, they offer two installation routes :

From Volabike, we offer 2 types of installation kits. In one, the original Shimano wiring of the already modified bicycle is included, so that the connection to the extender kit is made in a simple way, replacing the original wiring with the one included in the kit and making use of connectors already prepared to connect the battery extend to the bike. With the other option, a modification kit is included, to be able to modify the original cable of the bicycle, saving the cost of the original Shimano cable that is included with the first option. All the kits include all the necessary material to carry out the installation, as well as all the necessary material to fix the battery in a 100% safe and reliable way to the bicycle frame.

The kit consists of:

Battery extender in hermetic transport bag, with power switch and charging port.
Control electronics.
Blind cover for wiring.
Assembly and use manual.

Original Shimano wiring, already modified for the installation of the extender kit.

Based on that, it looks reasonably easy to install and shouldn't invalidate anything as you're just swapping the wiring out with a section that splices to the extender.

If you modified the wiring, that would invalidate things so you'd need to use the duplicate wiring, or I presume buy a second battery mount/cable to modify. I'm still wondering where/how the cables exit the frame as their photos show two different cable routes. They have a couple of different Hecklers in their photos and the cables are routed differently on them, even on the same bike.

https://www.volabike.com/276-large_...a-motores-shimano-e7000e8000-ep8-cylinder.jpg is the clearest photo and I guess that makes it obvious you could only fit the smaller battery. I'll have to look at my bike and see where that cable is going.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
If you modified the wiring, that would invalidate things so you'd need to use the duplicate wiring, or I presume buy a second battery mount/cable to modify. I'm still wondering where/how the cables exit the frame as their photos show two different cable routes. They have a couple of different Hecklers in their photos and the cables are routed differently on them, even on the same bike.

https://www.volabike.com/276-large_...a-motores-shimano-e7000e8000-ep8-cylinder.jpg is the clearest photo and I guess that makes it obvious you could only fit the smaller battery. I'll have to look at my bike and see where that cable is going.
They say there are the two choices, a kit to modify your existing wiring or : In one, the original Shimano wiring of the already modified bicycle is included, so that the connection to the extender kit is made in a simple way, replacing the original wiring with the one included in the kit and making use of connectors already prepared to connect the battery extend to the bike. So it costs slightly more, but comes with a modified wiring harness you just swap out. When you don't want to use it anymore/just swap back in the original Shimano harness which came with the bike.

No idea about where you run the cable. There's often several options depending on the bike and the owners preferences. Sometimes it neater to drill a small hole or cut an edge in a plastic motor cover, so you'd probably want to buy a spare to replace it with if you swapped back in the future - that's what you normally do on the Spesh extenders. In your case there might be an existing grommet you can run through.

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
I wonder how these generic extenders manage the parallel battery charge risk. If the internal battery is near empty and the external is fully charged the charged battery will tend to rapidly discharge into the internal battery causing the destruction of the internal battery. It is possible that the internal BMS might prevent this from happening by regulating the charge but it would have to shutdown the internal connection to the motor. It seems using a parallel switch is the accepted method but that requires both batteries to be connected to the switch and then the switch supplies power to the motor. This would require wiring changes.
IF the external port on the stock bike only has a charge port that port may only be designed to handle a small 2amp charge and not able to supply full current for use directly to the motor as an external supply rather than for the charger.
Do you how the generic batteries handle these issues?

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
The Orbea has enough pins that they could indeed run the motor connector out so the the external battery can connect directly and still have separate pins for the internal battery charge port.

RiseChargePort.png

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
The BMS on the Orbea Rise must be pretty sophisticated as the extender battery does NOT charge the internal battery, It powers the motor and the BMS switches to the internal battery after the extender is exhausted. So it must check for the presence of the extender and if there, electronically switch power source to it before switching to internal batttery when exhausted. BMS reports range based on the combined availability of power when the extender is connected.

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
Yes since they planned to have the external battery from conception and the battery will not be rremoved they must have the functionality of a MOS Parallel switch built in.

ciorbarece7

Oct 7, 2022
Nbg
Hi guys,

I recently bought a 2019 Kenevo which came with an installed Volabike range extender, the cylindrical one for the bottle cage.

The problem ist the stupid thing sometimes works and sometimes not, which can be a terrible pain in the arse especially when riding big tours with other people.

Volabike saya that both the bike battery and the extender must be charged to 100% to work. From my experience this is not true, because it happened to me that the extender started working when the bike battery was discharged at about 60%. I then changed some settings in blevo and then ist suddenly worked.

Question for Volabike and/or Trailwatts users: Do you experience similar problems? Do you really have to charge the extender to 100% as volabike claims, otherwise it would not work? I think this must be bs, because that would mean that it would be impossible to turn the extende off when it used some power, because then it would no be usable unless charged to 100% again.

What could cause such problems? Really angry and p*** off with the damn thing, since it ruined my day again today.

It just stays at 100% and remains unused.

SEBA

Sep 11, 2019
French Provence High Alps

The kit consists of:

Control electronics.
Blind cover for wiring.
Assembly and use manual.

no PayPal, one shot pay , about 200€ more in comparison with other commercial solution ..'

Apr 27, 2022
UK
Anyone ever find a solution for the Trek Rail? I'd be interested. It looks technically possible using a Bosch Range Boost pack from what I understand, it's just finding a way to mount and cable up a second battery.

BruceJR

Jun 16, 2022
USA West
Any more ride reports from any of these companies? Hopefully from Gen 3 Levo owners. I have an opportunity to get Trail Watts system for my Gen 3 Levo but it's a huge payout for something with such little user community feedback.

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
Any more ride reports from any of these companies? Hopefully from Gen 3 Levo owners. I have an opportunity to get Trail Watts system for my Gen 3 Levo but it's a huge payout for something with such little user community feedback.
2 year warranty with our kit. All these companies use a diode which has no protection for your electronics or thermal runaway. There’s a reason they are cheap!

BruceJR

Jun 16, 2022
USA West
2 year warranty with our kit. All these companies use a diode which has no protection for your electronics or thermal runaway. There’s a reason they are cheap!
The others are less expensive than Trail Watts but certainly not cheap. But this is good information though and probably reason enough to spend a little more.

I would still like to see more ride reports. Not necessarily in regards to reliability but in function and experience with a Full Fat bike like the Levo.

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
The others are less expensive than Trail Watts but certainly not cheap. But this is good information though and probably reason enough to spend a little more.

I would still like to see more ride reports. Not necessarily in regards to reliability but in function and experience with a Full Fat bike like the Levo.
7B62C5F5-40B1-46B7-BB15-01C6960DB8BD.jpeg

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
I have absolutely no range anxiety whatsoever……using a trailwatts 252w battery extender and a Levo 700w battery I reckon on a long trek (I’m not talking bike park or serious off road) I could achieve over 80 miles, the other point to consider is the customer service (you get what you pay for 😀) and Graham at trailwatts is spot on and as helpful as can be 👊🏻
it’s also a good excuse to post a picture of my bike 😂

IMG_3004.png

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
I have absolutely no range anxiety whatsoever……using a trailwatts 252w battery extender and a Levo 700w battery I reckon on a long trek (I’m not talking bike park or serious off road) I could achieve over 80 miles, the other point to consider is the customer service (you get what you pay for 😀) and Graham at trailwatts is spot on and as helpful as can be 👊🏻
it’s also a good excuse to post a picture of my bike 😂

View attachment 125556
Thank you for your support and glad your getting the miles in💪🏻

450ls

Jun 15, 2020
tne netherlands
I have bought a range extender from volabike ,paid for it in advance ,and never recieved it .

It went stumm after emails send by my own account.

When i mailed by another account first with a different question they replied immidiately

Then in a second email by the same account it went stumm again.

SO BE WARNED

joxelitor

May 23, 2020
Spain
Hi guys,

I recently bought a 2019 Kenevo which came with an installed Volabike range extender, the cylindrical one for the bottle cage.

The problem ist the stupid thing sometimes works and sometimes not, which can be a terrible pain in the arse especially when riding big tours with other people.

Volabike saya that both the bike battery and the extender must be charged to 100% to work. From my experience this is not true, because it happened to me that the extender started working when the bike battery was discharged at about 60%. I then changed some settings in blevo and then ist suddenly worked.

Question for Volabike and/or Trailwatts users: Do you experience similar problems? Do you really have to charge the extender to 100% as volabike claims, otherwise it would not work? I think this must be bs, because that would mean that it would be impossible to turn the extende off when it used some power, because then it would no be usable unless charged to 100% again.

What could cause such problems? Really angry and p*** off with the damn thing, since it ruined my day again today.

It just stays at 100% and remains unused.
The problem is the design of the diode module, it´s just an schottky diode
It takes only a basic thermal test, let´s say 10Amps to check that those diodes overheat seriously
In Spain it´s already known, many peope affected by the same problem as you

022 - Valencia.jpg 023 - Valencia.jpg

ciorbarece7

Oct 7, 2022
Nbg
Thanks very much for your reply. I’ve sent Volabike the wiring and obviously they replaced the diode you mentioned (for free). Since then the extender works flawlessly :) I couldn‘t be happier.

Best regards

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles