DIY: Range extender for Levo (and Kenevo)

joliver

Oct 19, 2020
Barcelone (Spain)
Thanks. The 20A peak figure sounded familiar but I couldn't find it anywhere in the Shimano tech sheet as they only talk about nominal or average values.

I do not know the characteristics of Shimano engines, this is a peak power reading on a Brose 1.3 (Drive T) from a colleague from another forum.

I do not know the voltage it had at that time, but assuming that it had it fully loaded, I mean at 42v:
785w / 42v = 18.69A

At 36v:
785w / 36v = 21.8A

1626427904564.png

Yoniboi

Jul 15, 2021
Madrid
Great info thanks.

The Shimano is indeed 36v so 21.8A would be the value to consider, but my stock battery is 375Wh and the extender I want to use is this one:

68.27€ 18% de DESCUENTO|AERDU Paquete de batería para patinete eléctrico, 36V, 10S2P, 7Ah, 450 vatios, 18650, 42V, 37V, 35E, XT60, con enchufe de CC|Paquetes de baterías| - AliExpress

... which has the advantage of having the BMS already included. At 252Wh, theoretically the extender should never be drawing more than about 8.75A max continuous, with the original battery supplying the rest.

UNFORTUNATELY I've read some horror story reviews of batteries like this one bought from AliExpress so I'm probably gonna have to get more creative and make my own (which I have no idea how to do) LOL.

I really really don't want a cable hanging out of the motor cover when the extender isn't in use,, so one of these XT60 panel mount connectors fitted into the plastic top motor cover/panel should do the job:

I'm going to case the extender in epoxy, as per a previous poster, incorporating the Fidlock Gravity kit to hold it in place. If a 1kg bottle of water never got thrown off the bike then it should be able to hold a 1kg battery in place too.

Last edited:

Tebu

Aug 7, 2021
Finland
Range extenders seem to be a hot topic nowadays and there are already some commercially available options (Levo Range Extender, Levorex, Trailwatts) to select from. However, IMO they are quite expensive. I did not want to pay ~500 EUR for a battery that I need only on those long, full-day rides a few times a summer. Hence, I decided to make one of my own. The technology is basically the same as with the commercial options, but I was able to even tune it with a bluetooth-equipped BMS.

I already wrote a longer how-to in a Finnish cycling discussion forum, but maybe it's good to share the basics here as well, because I bet there are some Doc Emmett Browns in this forum as well interested on the topic. Of course (and for a person, who believes that everyone is responsible of their own mistakes, this sounds stupid) I will not take any responsibility if you burn your bike, blow up your house or lose your eyesight when a cell explodes on your face or any such thing.

LONG STORY SHORT:

Stuff needed:

• Case to put the battery in (I used a plastic tool pipe that I needed to form with a heat gun)
  • Cells. I recommend to use only quality ones. I used 3350 Ah rated Sanyo 18650 cells ordered from Nkon.
  • BMS. I used bluetooth-enabled "smart" BMS, ordered from GreenBikeKit
  • "Ideal diodes". You need to have a way to avoid current flowing from one battery to another. There are few options for this, but ideal diodes are the best. I ordered that directly from the manufacturer re-voltage.eu
  • All kinds of small stuff (nickel strips, battery holders, wire, shrink wrap, solder, glue, connectors....)
Tools needed:
  • Quality soldering iron
  • Hot air gun
  • Drill
  • Other basic tools
Steps:
  1. Work with the battery case. My plastic tool pipe did not fit L size Levo at first, so I used the heat gun to soften the plastic and then re-formed it to fit in. Reforming made it quite bumpy and lumpy, so I mixed some 2-component plastic/polymer padding, spread it and sanded down. Thats the reason, why you see in some photos that the pipe has white/grey-ish cast.
  2. Assemble the cells. Youtube is full of instructions for this. I made 10S2P, which means roughly 250 Wh. I did not have a spot welding machine, so I ended up soldering the cells together. Having a powerful soldering iron minimizes the time that you need to heat up the cell. Heat = not good. I did try make a spot-welder from car battery, solenoid and some copper nails, but after seeing the colour of lithium flame after puncturing one of the cells (luckily I ordered 21, i.e. one extra), I decided that heat or not, but I will solder them together :D
  3. Connect the BMS. BMSes differ a bit from each other, so I will not give instructions to this either - the basic principle is to have BMS connected to the both ends of the battery (full voltage) and then also to all the +'es in between the battery. This way BMS can monitor the charge, discharge and cell balance.
  4. Bluetooth and other battery connections. I plugged in the bluetooth and the app started to work right away. I was really surprised, asit was so easy. Then, I probably could have had just one set of leads for both charge and discharge, but ended having one for charging (inside the case, which is easy to open) and one outside the case for discharge, i.e. to attach to the bike. The BMS also had two temperature sensors: I put one between the cells and glued the other on top of the BMS heatsink. For charge and discharge connectors I used Amass XT60 that can easily handle the needed currents.
  5. Connections to the bike. Ok, this is important: you don't want the current to flow between the batteries but only from battery/-ies to the motor. In order to do that, I used "ideal diodes" and needed two of them. I'm not an electrical engineer, but I drew a simple diagram for this (check below). I made the connections so that it's not that easy to return the bike to the factory form (I have the diodes on top of the motor, no need to remove the crank to get to them), but you can do this also so that you put the diodes under the motor (like commercial options have) and then have an extra battery -> motor cable. This way you can quite easily take away this tune. In any case, I'm not worried on voiding the warranty on my bike - if the bike has worked already a year, why would it break down anymore at this point :giggle:
  6. All done. I made a test ride and no smoke or flames and based on the iOS app also the extra battery got involved even though the batteries had different voltages to start with, so all good.
  7. Finalization and paint-up. Hey, one needs to have a name for this type of thing. I named this to "Olkiluoto 4". Olkiluoto 3 is a nuclear power plant here in Finland, which has gotten delayed for like a decade due to all kinds of problems during the building phase. It is to be started next year, but I already have Olkiluoto 4 up and running over here :cool:
Cost:
  • Case ("free" as I had it laying in the carage)
  • Cells (~90 EUR)
  • BMS (35 EUR)
  • Ideal diodes (63 EUR for two)
  • Small things (15-20 EUR)
  • iOS app (1 EUR)
--> ~210 EUR I also bought 2 Amps @ 42 V charger (25 EUR).

Links:
Photos:
_small.jpg

Tool pipe is taking its shape. It has already seen the heat gun as it fits the Levo frame. I needed to turn the CC coil show up-side down.

_small.jpg

Cells are already soldered and BMS being soldered. Zip tie is keeping the BMS in place during this.

_small.jpg

Wiring up the bike. Ideal diodes are under the shrink wraps. They fit well on top of the engine. I used 4 mm2 wires which probably were an overkill. I also secured the + wires with additional webbing in the places where it might get some friction and wore out the insulation.

_full.jpg

A simple diagram for wiring up the diodes. "Lisäakku" = the extra battery. "Levon oma akku" = Levo's own battery. "Pyörän moottori" = the motor.

_small.jpg

All secured inside shrink wrap, bluetooth on and battery being charged.

_small.jpg

Ready for the test ride!

_small.jpg

A view to the app. Olkiluoto 4 is powering my Levo.

_medium.jpg

All done and finalized - ready for the long rides!
Hi,
Here's some very good reading about welding of batteries. No too many pages either...

Attachments

• ParametricStudyofSpotWeldingbetweenLi-ion.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 373

rodgemx125

May 8, 2021
Uk
20220220_170127.jpg

I have made a look up using in info on this thread but as soon as I plug it in the battery turns off?

The far left red goes to the motor, the centre to are +&- from original and the right hand is the input from extra battery?

Any help would be greatly appreciated it driving me crazy!

joliver

Oct 19, 2020
Barcelone (Spain)
View attachment 82543
I have made a look up using in info on this thread but as soon as I plug it in the battery turns off?

The far left red goes to the motor, the centre to are +&- from original and the right hand is the input from extra battery?

Any help would be greatly appreciated it driving me crazy!
1645440015885.png

I want to think that he meant that the last one on the right (not left) is the one that goes to the engine. Apart from that, I am not convinced how you have connected the negatives, you only need 1 negative (they are all connected) that goes to both IN-, nothing has to be connected in OUT-

Remove the negative connection between IN- to OUT-, that connection should not be there, although it surely does not affect it because it is the negative, remove it, it does nothing or should not do anything. Removing that connection and connecting it as I have put in the image, it should work fine for you.

The negatives of the batteries must be directly connected to the negative that goes to the motor, you only need a small negative cable to feed the 2 ideal diodes, it does not need to be a thick cable.

Last edited:

rodgemx125

May 8, 2021
Uk
View attachment 82584
I want to think that he meant that the last one on the right (not left) is the one that goes to the engine. Apart from that, I am not convinced how you have connected the negatives, you only need 1 negative (they are all connected) that goes to both IN-, nothing has to be connected in OUT-

Remove the negative connection between IN- to OUT-, that connection should not be there, although it surely does not affect it because it is the negative, remove it, it does nothing or should not do anything. Removing that connection and connecting it as I have put in the image, it should work fine for you.

The negatives of the batteries must be directly connected to the negative that goes to the motor, you only need a small negative cable to feed the 2 ideal diodes, it does not need to be a thick cable.
Thanks for the reply, the negatives on the diodes seem to be common on in and out as they are directly linked on the pcb. I'll get a picture at lunch time.
Both negative wires from batteries goto the negative of the motor

joliver

Oct 19, 2020
Barcelone (Spain)
Thanks for the reply, the negatives on the diodes seem to be common on in and out as they are directly linked on the pcb. I'll get a picture at lunch time.
Both negative wires from batteries goto the negative of the motor
And the positives are connected as I have indicated in the image?

One test you can do is to connect only the original battery and check that there is NO current in the in+ of the extender, and vice versa, disconnect the main battery, connect only the extender and check that there is no current in the in+ of the main battery.

How many amp/hours are those diodes?

rodgemx125

May 8, 2021
Uk
And the positives are connected as I have indicated in the image?

One test you can do is to connect only the original battery and check that there is NO current in the in+ of the extender, and vice versa, disconnect the main battery, connect only the extender and check that there is no current in the in+ of the main battery.

How many amp/hours are those diodes?
They are 15amp ones from ebay! It does the problem with just the main battery in, as soon as you return the loom to original everything works fine

joliver

Oct 19, 2020
Barcelone (Spain)
They are 15amp ones from ebay! It does the problem with just the main battery in, as soon as you return the loom to original everything works fine
I use 2 ideal diodes of 50A each, because if on some occasion I do not have the extender, something more than 20A can pass through one of them and of course, it will not work.
I have not understood what it says, putting the original wiring clear that it continues to work, why would not I do it? If you only connect the battery with the wiring that you have made, is that when it turns off? If so, it is possible that it is because of what I have indicated, the motor consumes 20A when the battery is 100% charged and consumes more when the voltage drops, it is possible that the diode is disconnected and that is why the battery turns off... detecting a malfunction... I don't know, something is slipping away.

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
Hi All,
Such great info in this tread! I am thinking of doing the wiring a little bit different on my 21 Levo. Instead of sticking an ideal diode under the motor canopy, I will run three wires out to a connector just outside of the housing. The three wires will be negative, motor+, and Levo battery+. When I wish to have no booster I will use a dummy plug on the connector, that connects motor+ to Levo battery+. That way there is no ideal diode at all in non-boosted config. As part of my battery box I will have the two ideal diodes, one connected to Levo battery +, and the other connected to booster battery + (and negative of course). This would allow me to do this for my three different 36v bikes, with nothing more than a connector and the three wires coming out from the engine cover. Thoughts? thanks

joliver

Oct 19, 2020
Barcelone (Spain)
Hi All,
Such great info in this tread! I am thinking of doing the wiring a little bit different on my 21 Levo. Instead of sticking an ideal diode under the motor canopy, I will run three wires out to a connector just outside of the housing. The three wires will be negative, motor+, and Levo battery+. When I wish to have no booster I will use a dummy plug on the connector, that connects motor+ to Levo battery+. That way there is no ideal diode at all in non-boosted config. As part of my battery box I will have the two ideal diodes, one connected to Levo battery +, and the other connected to booster battery + (and negative of course). This would allow me to do this for my three different 36v bikes, with nothing more than a connector and the three wires coming out from the engine cover. Thoughts? thanks
Like this:

In the plug it puts on, it has both positives attached (original battery and motor) so that when it removes the extender, it puts that plug on it and everything is hidden as if nothing had happened, the connector is an MT60.

Last edited:

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
It is not my installation, I have used 12AWG but I think that 14AWG can be used judging by the diameter of the original cables.
Thanks 14 is more pliable than 12. Levo peaks around 700w according to BLEvo. That’s 20A for brief periods. I’m guessing that even that is a very choppy load due to pedal rotation, so the average amps over any period of time is way less.

Joan1975part2

Apr 3, 2022
Belgium
Can you charge the extender battery and the main battery at the same time or do you have to charge one after the other (which one first)
I have a Kenevo with"the box" extender.
1652556609998.png

Thanks for the reply

joliver

Oct 19, 2020
Barcelone (Spain)
Can you charge the extender battery and the main battery at the same time or do you have to charge one after the other (which one first)
I have a Kenevo with"the box" extender.
View attachment 88095

Thanks for the reply
To charge the main battery you have to disconnect it to connect the charger so once disconnected they cannot be seen in any way and that is why you can charge them both at the same time.

Joan1975part2

Apr 3, 2022
Belgium
To charge the main battery you have to disconnect it to connect the charger so once disconnected they cannot be seen in any way and that is why you can charge them both at the same time.

Hi Joliver
Thanks for the reply.
But "the box" range extender is not connected to the charger port of the bike itself but directly on the bike wiring, so I have two charger ports that I can connect simultaneously (but should I ?)

joliver

Oct 19, 2020
Barcelone (Spain)
Hi Joliver
Thanks for the reply.
But "the box" range extender is not connected to the charger port of the bike itself but directly on the bike wiring, so I have two charger ports that I can connect simultaneously (but should I ?)
You disconnect the wiring of the bicycle to which "the box" is connected from the main battery as soon as you are going to charge the main battery, so both batteries are disconnected from each other at that moment.
You can charge both at the same time without any problem, in fact I think it is correct that both have the same level of charge.

Joan1975part2

Apr 3, 2022
Belgium
It is definitely not the intention to decouple the range extender for charging.
The extender has it's own charging port (the other side than the picture)

So I have two separate chargers, only the question if I can use both of them at the same time
1652791726756.png

joliver

Oct 19, 2020
Barcelone (Spain)
It is definitely not the intention to decouple the range extender for charging.
The extender has it's own charging port (the other side than the picture)

So I have two separate chargers, only the question if I can use both of them at the same time
View attachment 88241
Let's see... seriously?
Let's go by parts, as Jack (the Ripper) said.
First we connect the original charger to the bike, to do this, you have to disconnect the cable from the bike to the battery, right? if you unplug it, that battery is no longer connected to anything and if you don't unplug it, you can't plug in the original charger, right?.
Therefore, the original battery is not connected to the bicycle and it does not know or be affected by the fact that you put the extender battery on charge or not.
For the same reason you can recharge both batteries at the same time without any problem, because the main one has to be disconnected from the bicycle beforehand.

Joan1975part2

Apr 3, 2022
Belgium
Let's see... seriously?
Let's go by parts, as Jack (the Ripper) said.
First we connect the original charger to the bike, to do this, you have to disconnect the cable from the bike to the battery, right? if you unplug it, that battery is no longer connected to anything and if you don't unplug it, you can't plug in the original charger, right?.
Therefore, the original battery is not connected to the bicycle and it does not know or be affected by the fact that you put the extender battery on charge or not.
For the same reason you can recharge both batteries at the same time without any problem, because the main one has to be disconnected from the bicycle beforehand.
Hi Joliver,

Thanks for the reply but it seems we are going in circles.
I do not have to disconnect the the cable from the bike to the battery. The external battery is connected directly to the bike and the motor. (as seen in the picture).
This means that I can connect two chargers to the main and extender battery and that both batteries are still connected to the bike.
Hence my question can I charge both at the same time or is there some freaky currents going through the bike/batteries.

joliver

Oct 19, 2020
Barcelone (Spain)
Hi Joliver,

Thanks for the reply but it seems we are going in circles.
I do not have to disconnect the the cable from the bike to the battery. The external battery is connected directly to the bike and the motor. (as seen in the picture).
This means that I can connect two chargers to the main and extender battery and that both batteries are still connected to the bike.
Hence my question can I charge both at the same time or is there some freaky currents going through the bike/batteries.
How do you connect the original main battery charger without disconnecting anything?

Note that I never said to disconnect the extender, but to connect the original charger to the original battery, the first thing you need to do is remove the connector from the bike to the original battery so that you can connect the original charger.
1652794648107.png

You must disconnect this connector (which I mark in red) in order to plug in the original charger. At that moment the battery is no longer connected to the bicycle so it is not affected by whether or not you put the extender on charge.

Last edited:

Joan1975part2

Apr 3, 2022
Belgium
My apologies, you where right. I always thought that the plug on the Kenevo was a cover for the chargerpoint but did understood that it was the connection between bike and battery.

So indeed it should be no problem.
Thanks

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles