iamanej

Apr 3, 2023
Slovenija
Got a link for that?
It's ugly as hell but i've got 800wh of batteries for long rides :p

iamanej

Apr 3, 2023
Slovenija
I'm very interested in this thread in general, and don't want to derail it too much. But could you elaborate on this a bit please.
What does the stock battery weigh (sorry I know I should just take mine out and weigh it but I'm not at home at the moment so I don't have that option)?
I've always thought that the Specialized extender is excessively heavy and voluminous for the capacity. I'd be very interested in any kind of lighter options.
Is it possible to get a BMS that will work with the bike and build our own options?
Stock battery is I think 1,87kg or. My after market extender is 480wh-2kg or 240wh/1kg.
It works with the bike (internal and external at once)

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire
Stock battery is I think 1,87kg or. My after market extender is 480wh-2kg or 240wh/1kg.
It works with the bike (internal and external at once)
Thank you,

Specialized quote 1.8kg for the stock battery (so 178Wh/kg) and your's is considerably better than that. Can you run it without the Specialized internal battery in place? That would match the stock battery with the RE but save nearly a kg. What brand is your aftermarket one, do you have a link to the company perhaps?

iamanej

Apr 3, 2023
Slovenija
Thank you,

Specialized quote 1.8kg for the stock battery (so 178Wh/kg) and your's is considerably better than that. Can you run it without the Specialized internal battery in place? That would match the stock battery with the RE but save nearly a kg. What brand is your aftermarket one, do you have a link to the company perhaps?
I don't believe it would run without internal one.

P.s. i have 800wh combined with internal battery which is A LOT :D

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire
I don't believe it would run without internal one.

P.s. i have 800wh combined with internal battery which is A LOT :D
Thanks. Supposedly the bike will run with the internal battery removed and just the Specialized range extender attached, so that would suggest that if the Volabike one connects in the same way it should work. Hopefully.
Do you know if the Volabike uses 2170's?

iamanej

Apr 3, 2023
Slovenija
Thanks. Supposedly the bike will run with the internal battery removed and just the Specialized range extender attached, so that would suggest that if the Volabike one connects in the same way it should work. Hopefully.
Do you know if the Volabike uses 2170's?
I really do not know. This battery has to be charged on its own charger and when connected it is meant to run together as one battery (it is also shown that way). I do not know if it would work. Ask their support...

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire
Yes you can. Many of the super lightweight builds went this way. There's several threads about it. Useful if you want to fly with the bike and you just take some range extenders with you.
That's with the Specialized RE though right? So there is a possibility that there is something in the RE BMS that the Motor needs to talk to before it will be happy?
If I could take the main battery out and fit an alternative internal battery, either a 240wh and save 800g (close to 2lbs) (and move the COG back at the same time), then that would be very nice. Or make a 480wh and have 50% more range for 200g or so extra weight.
OR, best still make something around 400wh AND save close to a pound, then that sounds fantastic to me.
And it does also make you wonder why Specialized didn't opt to do something like this for the new bikes. Which makes me think that there is a packaging issue with getting (presumably) 2170 cells into the DT?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles